Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Are there any products out there that you guys would swear by?

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Feed them all year with peanut butter then it'll work.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ha ha - deer attractant. Just call it what it is - BAIT!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A hot doe usually does the trick.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Yes, and when I kill a doe in heat, I collect her urine in a bottle.

You know what to do with it I speculate.

It smells the same to a buck.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt mainly hardwoods where Acorns are a main crop/food for deer. An Alabama made product called Shine's white Acorn cover sent works extremely well for me as a cover scent and as an attractant. They make other products that I have not tested.

https://www.shinesscents.com/index.asp

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
An Update -

There is 1 product that I use and it has worked for me more than once. I have had the opportunities to shoot young deer, does, & I DID shoot a buck because of using......

The Primos Bleat Can.

Now it will not work every time because, no deer may hear it or a deer close may not be interested.

But it HAS worked for me, and I keep it handy.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For several years I've had real good luck with a product called VS1.I use it on a drag rag just about when the rut starts,drag it in a circle in areas where you want to take a shot in.They also sell another product that works well as a cover scent DEER HERD IN A STICK.It in a stick form like deodorant.It seems to keep them calm.You just rub it against brush,tree or the side of a deer blind near where you are hunting.It smells exactly like a deer does.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I consider it as part of the challenge. If I can't stay downwind I deserve to be scented.

I just smell like me. Which is probably pretty bad.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Copenhagen and coffee. They can't resist, and neither can I!

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I make a mixture of vanilla, maple extract, almond extract and doe esterous scent, mix it up a gallon at a time and spray it on everything as I go into my hunt area. It works as a cover and an attractant.

Golden............
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by davidlea
I make a mixture of vanilla, maple extract, almond extract and doe esterous scent, mix it up a gallon at a time and spray it on everything as I go into my hunt area. It works as a cover and an attractant.

I put that on pancakes.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There are a few I always have in my pocket. Tink's 69, and a Primos bleat "can" call.

Neither works all the time but both work enough to make sure I have them with me.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Yes, and when I kill a doe in heat, I collect her urine in a bottle.

You know what to do with it I speculate.

It smells the same to a buck.

Actually, according to a biologist friend, after doe in heat pee is exposed to air for a very short period of time, it oxidizes and turns into ammonia and smells like any old garden variety pee. The secretions that come out of a doe that drive bucks crazy has a very short, matter of seconds, shelf life and can't really be duplicated or stored. So, the urine you are collecting may make a good cover scent but little more. Same with Tinks and all the other urine based products designed to separate us from our money. IF my friend is right, even if manufacturers were able to obtain "steaming hot and fresh" estrous urine and bottle it, it would be ruined the first time the customer opened the bottle.

People who sell urine based attractants have two things going for them. First, it won't likely spook deer and may mask human odor. Second, If it is used during the rut when the grown ones are cruising around for does like they would anyway, enough customers are going to see and kill a big one and be loyal to the product for life.

Last edited by RJY66; 09/28/13.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
RJY66 -

That's the first I've heard of that. Maybe something to it.

At any case DEER URINE will not scare deer away.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Before I got a desk job, silage, diesel fuel and cow schidt used to get me pretty close to deer.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only way I've ever found that is guaranteed to attract a good buck, is to not have a deer tag with you.

Other than that, I've used the bleat can with mixed results. Seemed to work when I was fairly confident I was already in a good spot.

And I've used the urine as a cover scent. Only thing I've noticed is it seemed to work better as a cover scent than actual cover scents. With doe "heat" urine on my boots and lower pant legs, I've had squirrels literally stand on my legs if I was sitting at the base of a tree and super still/quiet. That happened once, but with normal cover scent, birds and squirrels all seemed to be fully aware I was around.

Just my very unscientific observations.

S
S
I dumped a bucket of fallen apples in the woods behind the house. They were gone the next morning. The older, the better. They can't help themselves!

AmericanBroomShop

"We have a strong passion for brooms."

www.americanbroomshop.com
Tonasket, Washington
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tink's 69 absolutely works, IF there is a buck in the mood, and I suspect you probably need a hot doe in the area. I have actually seen deer trail what I put down. I have had two deer run in before I could sit down. I really don't use it anymore because it only seems to work a couple days out of the season. Seems like you need more than one buck in the area too. I don't know of anything that will pull a buck off trailing a hot doe, unless one buck chases the others off.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Silverstar
I dumped a bucket of fallen apples in the woods behind the house. They were gone the next morning. The older, the better. They can't help themselves!

Yes,

Long story short, I had big White Oak trees in my yard. I picked up 5 gl. buckets of acorns and dumped them in Pine plantations. They got ate, & I got deer.

Last edited by jwall; 09/29/13.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 37 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,228
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.