Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm in the market for a new pair of hunting boots. I have been looking at danner santiam's and red wing model 815. Any input as to why one would be better than the other, or would either one be o.k.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm on my second pair of Irish Setter Elk Hunters. The first pair was worn for years then re-soled. You couldn't give me a Danner boot. mtmuley

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the Irish Setter camp also. Taking a pair of 3858 Shadow Treks to WY in 2 days.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I dont know about their hunting boots, but Redwing work boots suck. Danner's last much longer and are much more comfortable for me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a narrow foot. 11.5B Redwing used to make a true narrow but the last couple of pairs I've bought felt like more of a medium width. Danner's come in a true B width and are the most comfortable boots I've personally ever worn.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have been wearing Redwing work boots for 10 or 12 years now. I get 2 to 3 years a pair from them in a machine shop. No complaints. I was ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers this fall. Nice boot. The fit was above average @ 10 EE. While shopping price on those I found another Danner on clearance and ended up with them. All my hunting boots at the moment are Danner. Bought them all on clearance. Bear in mind these are the Chinese Danners. I'd love for all 3 pair to be the U.S. made stuff,but can't swing them. I can't complain about them though. Comfortable and the Gor Tex seems to hold up well enough. A lot of reviews damn them for leaking. I've never had them leak. Had I not run across these on sale,I would be sporting a pair of Elk Trackers. Nice boot for under $200.00

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have only had a single pair of Red Wing's but have had 5-6 pairs of Danners. I'll take Danners all day long. Also in full disclosure, I've never owned a pair of foreign Danners. Everyone I've ever had has been american made. I've seen the cheaper Danner's fail - sole blowout and leaks. Spend the money on american made Danners and you won't regret it.

One word of caution - if you have a fat foot, Danner's likely are not going to fit. If you have a medium to narrow foot, you're in business.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You might take a look at Cabelas lightweight hunters by Meindl I have danners and hanwag boots but the cabelas LWH are the most comfortable shoe I own they are pretty rugged also I have put many miles on them the last couple years !

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Used to be a Danner fan but Belleville Boot will get my money from now on.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not a fan of either one. I like Meindl.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll also chime in against foreign-made Danners. You pay the "Danners price" for a boot that is no better than anything else available for less. I have tried a lot of boots in the $125-$150 range and have found that Irish Setters are my favorite.

I have tried a few pairs of more expensive boots as well (+/-$300), and they all leak eventually. So it comes down to comfort. American-made Danners are OK, but again, not so good as to justify the price. Meindls are heavy/clunky.

Since I am a day hunter and am home each night, I just rotate through several pairs of boots that are comfortable. That's the key for me. If something is going to hurt at the end of the day, it's NOT going to be my feet! Irish Setters and Rocky have worked well for me.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Before you cuss either one, consider this. ALL boots made with glue-on soles are made offshore because the EPA outlawed the glue used to make them. The only boots that can be made in the US have sewn-on soles.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a Danner man.
My foreign Danners leak. Very comfortable for dry hunting... grin
I'm on my second season with the Kenetrek Mtn. Extremes.
My feet have not felt water since.
Like good glass, you can buy once and be happy or.....not.

Have Dog

Will Travel

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Before you cuss either one, consider this. ALL boots made with glue-on soles are made offshore because the EPA outlawed the glue used to make them. The only boots that can be made in the US have sewn-on soles.

The GI issue Belleville Mountain Boot is Berry Ammendment compliant/US made. It has a glued rand.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What's wrong with glued on?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I've worn red wings for years. Mostly steel toes for work. I get years out of them. Model 4418 in winter and 2218 in summer. I was looking at the model 815.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wageslave
I was a Danner man.
My foreign Danners leak. Very comfortable for dry hunting... grin
I'm on my second season with the Kenetrek Mtn. Extremes.
My feet have not felt water since.
Like good glass, you can buy once and be happy or.....not.

Those will be my next pair, just am going to have to go through the ship it, try it, ship it back if it doesn't fit stage.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

The GI issue Belleville Mountain Boot is Berry Ammendment compliant/US made. It has a glued rand.
My info came from a Danner sales rep several years ago. Maybe they have a new glue that the EPA will approve.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Love my Danner Super Rain Forest work boots. But for hunting take a look at Crispi's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (Anaconda, Amos63, arky65, 44automag, 9 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,100
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.