TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Gotcha and I couldn't agree more.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a DPMS varmint barreled upper on my Stag lower a couple years ago, and it gets sub-moa, even 1/2 MOA frequently, and I've had no issues with it. I have only have the one AR, so I know nothing.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My guess is your DPMS varmint barrel is a Kalispell/Montana Barrel unit, don't expect the same with rack stuff. Remember DPMS already had spotty QC BEFORE they were bought by Freedom Grope.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Billu
I am new to the AR scene. I have been looking into getting an AR15 type rifle and saw an NRA show a week ago where they toured the DPMS plant. Looked at the web site. Narrowed it down to either the Moe Warrior or AP4 carbine.What do you guys recommend ? What are your opinions on DPMS rifles? Are there others you would suggest I look at?
I've got two DPMS' that I have had no issues with. I'm not nearly the expert that some here are. I have owned probably a dozen AR's dating back to my first in 1983.

That said, I think at $1100 you are probably in the Colt range if you look around awhile and are careful. You might have to add a bit for tax and such, but I think you can buy a new one for close to that. That's the way I'd go rather than DPMS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
buy a DPMS for under 600 bucks, shoot it awhile and you'll learn a lot. Once your sure what you really want, you can sell the DPMS and buy or build.

http://grabagun.com/dpms-panther-oracle-223-16-30rd.html

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 700LH
buy a DPMS for under 600 bucks, shoot it awhile and you'll learn a lot. Once your sure what you really want, you can sell the DPMS and buy or build.

http://grabagun.com/dpms-panther-oracle-223-16-30rd.html

This is true, and I should state that a friend is a HIGHLY competitive 3-gun shooter and he uses mostly DPMS parts 'cause he gets 'em free, with a another maker's barrel. He's savvy enough if somthing ain't right, it gets sorted out PDQ.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
There are about a gazillion threads with folks asking the same question, some recently, an about a gazillion different opinions on the answer.

Before anyone can give you good recommendations, we need to know your budget, what you want to do with it and how much you'll shoot it.

My budget is 750 to 1100 dollars. I want the gun for home defense and target shooting. I would want to ability to have open sights with some type of removable optical sight. I'd be shooting it at my local club on a weekly basis. With these parameters I am looking for the best quality rifle I can get.

My advice is to prioritize what you want. A really good target gun will usually have a long, heavy barrel while something good for home defense will usually be short and light.

For either application you can get what you want for $1100 or less. But if you want to be really happy with your purchase, I'd recommend that you figure out exactly what you want and what you can live without before making a purchase. If you'll be making weekly range trips with it, I'd recommend a good range gun and keep using whatever you already are for defense.

There are lots of ARs that will work for a good range gun. I'd be looking for a heavy stainless barrel from someone known for accuracy.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Billu Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So what barrels are known for accuracy? I'd rather do this right...once ...then to be disappointed with my purchase.

I am leaning towards a lighter rifle. My range time is just for shooting practice.

Lots of good points so far.It really is helpful for some one like me that knows nothing about AR's

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I can't compare the rifle to others, as the DPMS is the only one I've ever owned. Yes, I bought it for the price.

I can say, however, that my experience with the company has been great - beyond my expectations. I sent it back to them 4 years after I bought it, for feeding and extraction issues. They put in 2.5 hours of labor (according to their paperwork), and sent it back to me, free of charge. And it worked when I got it.

I figured they'd politely tell me to go pound sand, after 4 years, and rightly so.

I'd definitely give 'em another chance, if I ever wanted another AR.

Just my $0.02.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
So what barrels are known for accuracy? I'd rather do this right...once ...then to be disappointed with my purchase.

I am leaning towards a lighter rifle. My range time is just for shooting practice.

Lots of good points so far.It really is helpful for some one like me that knows nothing about AR's

Do you have any idea of the weight of bullet you are planning to shoot on a regular basis?

It will make a difference in the twist rate recommendation.

When you say, "lighter rifle", are you thinking carbine length barrel only, or willing to consider 18 inch SPR, or up to 20 inch rifle length?

I'd widen my search at the price point you have listed for the Moe Warrior, and consider the other rifle brands mentioned above. The MOE W has a muzzle break for a supressor, if you are not planning on buying one, it's another $100 you don't need to spend on the base rifle. JMO

Last edited by AH64guy; 09/30/13.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If you'll be shooting magnified optics from a rest with match ammo....Noveske, Ranier SS (their better version), BCM SS, Wilson are a few that come to mind.

If you'll be shooting irons or a red dot for more practical type shooting at big targets or steel I'd recommend any of the above or a chrome lined barrel from Noveske, BCM, Colt, DD, Palmetto State Armory (FN) or I've heard good accuracy results from Rock River but I wouldn't want the rest of the upper to be from them. Your barrel and BCG will be the most important parts of the gun, don't skimp on those.

If you're looking at a complete upper or complete rifle I'd look at Ranier Arms, BCM, Colt, or even PSA / S&W in your price range.

You'll get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I just shot some groups with my DPMS Oracle 5.56 on Sunday. This is a 16" DPMS AR-15 to which I have replaced the Handguard with a Free Float Tube and done a trigger job on it. The scope is a Bushnell Banner 1.5x4.5x32mm. I was shooting my own handloads consisting of 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with H-4895 in Military LC Brass with Remington 7 1/2 Primers and 65gr. Sierra Gameking Spitzer Boat Tails loaded with Varget in Federal Brass with CCI-41 Primers.

Both loads shot sub MOA for 3 shot groups at 100 yards and a couple got right close to 1/2" but not quite there. To be honest I am not sure I could shoot any better than that with any brand of AR with a 4.5x Scope at 100 yards off of a bipod.

Larry

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How did you do the trigger job? Curious on that!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
i must agree with everyone who thinks a dpms is a pos. i hit a woodpecker right on the beak once and it didnt even knock him off the pole. that must have been a lucky shot too, cause it never hits anywhere close to where i aim. and don't even think about firing multiple rounds. at best it will just jam but more likely it will blow up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

but what do i know. it's not like i've actually hunted with one!

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Your prior post said home defense and shooting at your club, and a lighter rifle for $1100.00. If you want a lighter rifle for $1100 the Colt 6720 is not a bad gun, it has LW chromed barrel that I have found to be reasonably accurate. The Colt LW chrome lined barrel has produced 1/2-1 MOA using Sierra 65 grain game kings over varget. None of this stuff is cheap but starting with the gun add a red dot with LaRue QD mount, then get a good scope in an LT-104 mount. You can swap them back and forth. You will invest as much or more in the optics/mounts as in the rifle.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I polished the surfaces ever so slightly and used a set screw on top of the grip screw to limit most of the pretravel much like JARD does on their adjustable triggers. JP Trigger and Hammer Springs help also.

Larry

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So that is a box stock DPMS?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
remember colt is the only one that can make a functioning AR 15. DPMS, Rock River, all of the others suck. its not milspec you know. lots of people want to say they suck but never say why they suck. its just repeating garbage they have heard on the internet. seems to be a problem with the tactical crowd, group think and brand miopicness.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Those are hurtful words there cummins! I would take a DPMS with a stainless bull barrel on it. Replace the bolt and bolt carrier and I m sure it would be a fun hobby gun.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by jimmyp
So that is a box stock DPMS?

I outlined what parts I had replaced in my first post. Replaced the plastic handguards with a Hogue Rifle Length Knurled Aluminum Free Float Tube, Replaced the A2 Pistol Grip with a G27 Finger Groove Pistol Grip. Replaced the Charging Handle Latch with a Model 1 Sales Tactical Charging Handle. As well as the work to the Trigger I outlined above.

As per the barrel, bolt, bolt carrier, gas tube etc it is all stock DPMS. I have done similar slight mods to DPMS Oraciles and Sporticals for several friends of mine and no have ever complained about accuracy or reliability, but then they are used for Hunting, nothing more nothing less.

I have also had a couple DPMS Panther Bull 20's (one fluted on non fluted) as well as an Olympic K8 20" Bull Barrel AR that also in the .5's with the same load (55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip / H-4895) I outlined in a previous post.

Larry

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (22250rem, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,403
Posts18,488,921
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.