Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
In the early 1960's I attended a Catholic church and grade school in Rockford, Illinois. Many of the church members were Italian.

One year some ladies from the parish served a spaghetti dinner to raise money. I remember the spaghetti sauce was brown instead of red, and it was the best I've ever tasted.

It may have been an old Italian recipe passed down from earlier generations, or it could have been a newer store-bought recipe.

Does anyone have a favorite spaghetti sauce recipe you can share?

GB1

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Sorry! After I posted this topic I saw a similar one already listed in the forum. I'll check out the submitted responses.

Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since we're here already... I'm Italian, and I made about a dozen jars of sauce from 70 pounds of tomatoes last week. I've never ever seen brown spaghetti sauce. Now, I know some old time Italians that put a lot of meat in their sauce. It isn't the same without at least some pork in it. The guys my Brother went to deer camp with put pig skin bresaola in sauce. I've put a couple pork ribs but that's the extent of it. Lots of browned meat might darken sauce, but I've never had it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rob p
Since we're here already... I'm Italian, and I made about a dozen jars of sauce from 70 pounds of tomatoes last week. I've never ever seen brown spaghetti sauce.
Me neither.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Brown sauce...I don't like the sound of that.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I brown meat in the pot when starting a batch of sauce. Definitely more brown than the store bought stuff, but it still ain't "brown".

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I brown meat in the pot when starting a batch of sauce.
I do as well, but as you say, it doesn't make for a brown sauce. More of a brick red sauce.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It sounds more like Cincy chili than an Eyetalian spag sauce.

I don't mean to hijack this to dissing Cincy chili as not being "chili". I'll agree with that, but I like it as a spag "gravy".

<running and ducking>

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
More of a brick red sauce.

Ahaaaa, the good stuff. laugh

Denny.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
genovese?

mercy triumphs over judgement
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by whambasted
genovese?
I would call that a stew rather than a sauce. Serving it over pasta doesn't make it a sauce, either.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Perhaps it was a brownish bolognese?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Perhaps it was a brownish bolognese?
I've made and eaten plenty of Bolognese, and never was it brown.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
True. I also thought that moving away from a tomato base to a meat base was typical of a bolognese. Seems one recipe could be brownish in color....but what do I know?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the genovese has no tomatoes but lots of meat and a ton of white onions slow cooked for several hours
it is served over pasta but not a traditional ragu sauce
it is a native classic from naples and i have had it many times when i lived in pozzouli for many years
add parmesan or pecorino romano before serving

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
whats it taste like????

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by atvalaska
whats it taste like????

like a great beefy, thick onion soup with wine added during cooking

ingredients

3 lbs. (1.5 kg.) approx. of chuck, blade or other inexpensive beef or veal. Tie it into a roll if feasible. (Omit if adding braciola)
10 lbs. (4.5 kg.) pounds medium white onions, finely sliced.
1 small-medium carrot, finely sliced.
1 small rib celery, finely chopped.
3 teaspoons salt.
4 rounded tablespoons finely cut parsley.
4 tablespoons bacon drippings (you can substitute this with canola or other vegetable oil).
4 tablespoons canola or other vegetable oil.
4 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil.
1 cup dry white wine (optional).
4 oz. (150 gr.) Parmigiano Reggiano.
Freshly ground black pepper to taste.

directions

Use a very large pot with a thick bottom. Copper is best. Thin aluminum pots will burn the sauce. Pour the 4 tablespoons of canola or other vegetable oil into the pot, followed by all the onions. Cook at a medium heat and keep turning until all onions are beginning to become translucent.

In a cast-iron frying pan, heat up the bacon drippings until they�re almost smoking. Now place the beef roll in the pan and turn it until it is forms a lovely light brown crust all the way around.

Remove the beef roll (or braciola) from the pan and place into the onion pot, covering the beef with onions and pouring the beef/bacon drippings into the pot. Deglaze with a little dry white wine if necessary. Turn to a medium-low simmer so that the juices from the beef and onions don�t evaporate and leave the pot dry. Add a bit of water throughout the process if necessary. Simmer for 6-8 hours. Just don�t burn the sauce!

About one hour prior to dinner, remove the beef roll. Let it rest. Add the carrots and celery, give it a good stir, and leave it alone.

About 15 minutes prior to dinner, add the parsley (and wine if desired). Gently shred the beef roll, removing any obvious gristle that survived the cooking, and stir back into the sauce.

This is critical. About 3 minutes prior to serving, add all the salt and pepper as well as the extra virgin olive oil. Give it a quick stir and then pour it over the plates of steaming pasta. Ziti and Penne are preferred, but this works with anything except spaghetti. Now grate enough Parmigiano to cover the sauce with a layer of cheese and pop under the broiler for a couple of minutes, just enough to melt the cheese.

Last edited by whambasted; 10/09/13.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
TRH-
Do you approve? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whambasted
Originally Posted by atvalaska
whats it taste like????

like a great beefy, thick onion soup with wine added during cooking

ingredients

3 lbs. (1.5 kg.) approx. of chuck, blade or other inexpensive beef or veal. Tie it into a roll if feasible. (Omit if adding braciola)
10 lbs. (4.5 kg.) pounds medium white onions, finely sliced.
1 small-medium carrot, finely sliced.
1 small rib celery, finely chopped.
3 teaspoons salt.
4 rounded tablespoons finely cut parsley.
4 tablespoons bacon drippings (you can substitute this with canola or other vegetable oil).
4 tablespoons canola or other vegetable oil.
4 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil.
1 cup dry white wine (optional).
4 oz. (150 gr.) Parmigiano Reggiano.
Freshly ground black pepper to taste.

directions

Use a very large pot with a thick bottom. Copper is best. Thin aluminum pots will burn the sauce. Pour the 4 tablespoons of canola or other vegetable oil into the pot, followed by all the onions. Cook at a medium heat and keep turning until all onions are beginning to become translucent.

In a cast-iron frying pan, heat up the bacon drippings until they�re almost smoking. Now place the beef roll in the pan and turn it until it is forms a lovely light brown crust all the way around.

Remove the beef roll (or braciola) from the pan and place into the onion pot, covering the beef with onions and pouring the beef/bacon drippings into the pot. Deglaze with a little dry white wine if necessary. Turn to a medium-low simmer so that the juices from the beef and onions don�t evaporate and leave the pot dry. Add a bit of water throughout the process if necessary. Simmer for 6-8 hours. Just don�t burn the sauce!

About one hour prior to dinner, remove the beef roll. Let it rest. Add the carrots and celery, give it a good stir, and leave it alone.

About 15 minutes prior to dinner, add the parsley (and wine if desired). Gently shred the beef roll, removing any obvious gristle that survived the cooking, and stir back into the sauce.

This is critical. About 3 minutes prior to serving, add all the salt and pepper as well as the extra virgin olive oil. Give it a quick stir and then pour it over the plates of steaming pasta. Ziti and Penne are preferred, but this works with anything except spaghetti. Now grate enough Parmigiano to cover the sauce with a layer of cheese and pop under the broiler for a couple of minutes, just enough to melt the cheese.

Okay I know what I'm doing on Sunday.

Thanks!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
youre very welcome
let us all know how it turns out for you and i have some other recipes for the real deal neapolitan flavor but i will wait to post the for the future

buon appetito!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,563
Posts18,531,645
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.