Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great opinion piece by Thomas Sowell (part of it included below)

Who Shut Down the Government?

Even when it comes to something as basic, and apparently as simple and straightforward, as the question of who shut down the federal government, there are diametrically opposite answers, depending on whether you talk to Democrats or to Republicans.

There is really nothing complicated about the facts. The Republican-controlled House of Representatives voted all the money required to keep all government activities going -- except for ObamaCare.

This is not a matter of opinion. You can check the Congressional Record.

As for the House of Representatives' right to grant or withhold money, that is not a matter of opinion either. You can check the Constitution of the United States. All spending bills must originate in the House of Representatives, which means that Congressmen there have a right to decide whether or not they want to spend money on a particular government activity.

Whether ObamaCare is good, bad or indifferent is a matter of opinion. But it is a matter of fact that members of the House of Representatives have a right to make spending decisions based on their opinion.

[Linked Image from ]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So its Obama,Reid way of saying puck you

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You know Zero's absolutely cooking. He's like a spoiled child when he doesn't get his way. He can't control this and it must be maddening to him. The House needs to remain adamant. Let the chips fall.

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Putin allegedly said, off the record �
"negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon.
The pigeon knocks over all the pieces, [bleep] on the board
and then struts around like it won the game."

.... like tears in the rain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The answer to "Who shut down the government" seems to be Harry Reid.

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know. While not a fan of Obamacare, I can't see how it's right to subvert other matters to get one's way on previously passed legislation.

Mule
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Muleskinner
I don't know. While not a fan of Obamacare, I can't see how it's right to subvert other matters to get one's way on previously passed legislation.

...unbelievable.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Like not passing a Constitutionally mandated Federal budget in the Dem controlled Senate, so you can claim the House won't fund the debt and the government? Barry could submit his, where has it been for five years? Ah, it has been in CR's....

Read about the sequester that happened almost a year ago, its agreements and try to link it to where we are now.

I know its asking a lot to wish people knew what the Constitution states, to pay attention for more than week and to realize the House can de-fund legislation that has never been passed as law (like dreamt up delays for corporations, non-participation by Congress (participation mandated with the passing of the very law you claim subversion upon) and subsidized Federal employees. Where is the fury on this subversion of the legislation in question?
Why do you blame those who are actually following the Constitution?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The House has funded things this way for many years. Checks and balances at work here.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The House has the right to determine how the government spends it's money. The constitution gives them that power. If they don't want to fund something they can defund it. The Dems used this power to help the communists conquer South Vietnam by refusing to fund aid that we had promised.

The progressive fascists are pretending that this is not legitimate because they are trying to preserve the disaster that is ObamaCare. Don't fall for their lies.

Anyway, the shut down is a good thing for the country. We have a huge deficit from the time when Obama and the progressive fascists expanded government by 25% with no benefit to the country. We need to shut down nonessential functions of government to recover from their financial disaster or 7 trillion dollars in deficit spending. Any real problems can be fixed by passing bills to fund that portion of the government such as the VA.

The progressive fascists are refusing to do that though. They are trying to make the shut down hurt and are wasting money to force shutdowns of things that don't cost the government. They want to force the Republicans to surrender.

Last edited by ConradCA; 10/04/13.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by savage62
So its Obama,Reid way of saying puck you

I read that in the 17 shutdowns since 1976 and our other presidents never shut down our national parks, or national monuments.

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wish the House had used regular order to fund every part of department except those involved in ObamaCare. Then fund those departments with the restriction that money can't be spent on ObamaCare. If Tyrant Obama wants to close down the IRS and other departments involved in ObamaCare let him.

Last edited by ConradCA; 10/04/13.

[Linked Image from ]
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

+1000

And I'd feel the same way if the Democrats were doing this to the Republicans. Add to your comment that the legislation has been upheld by the Supreme Court.

This is mostly about a group of people that are upset that they have been outthought, outsmarted and outmaneuvered and beat in 2 elections by a black man. Their power base is dwindling, they don't like the changing demographics and are clueless to develop a cogent strategy to change their current trajectory. As a result, they blame the media, disparage entire ethnic groups and find fault with all but themselves.

There is plenty of blame to go around to both parties. No side has a monopoly on righteousness in this debacle. There is no doubt that there are many for whom this is truly ideological and cuts against their grain. That, I fully understand. But for many; especially those on this board that are incredibly racist in their comments and disrespectful to blacks and other ethnic groups in general and the President and First Lady in particular; I suspect that this post will not sit well with you. So be it. You are entitled to your opinion - I am entitled to mine; it cuts both ways.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It appears to me that if D's can vote a POS like Obamacare into law without 1 R vote, then R's in the House don't have to vote to fund it....

All American

All the time
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlackHunter

+1000

And I'd feel the same way if the Democrats were doing this to the Republicans. Add to your comment that the legislation has been upheld by the Supreme Court.

This is mostly about a group of people that are upset that they have been outthought, outsmarted and outmaneuvered and beat in 2 elections by a black man. Their power base is dwindling, they don't like the changing demographics and are clueless to develop a cogent strategy to change their current trajectory. As a result, they blame the media, disparage entire ethnic groups and find fault with all but themselves.

There is plenty of blame to go around to both parties. No side has a monopoly on righteousness in this debacle. There is no doubt that there are many for whom this is truly ideological and cuts against their grain. That, I fully understand. But for many; especially those on this board that are incredibly racist in their comments and disrespectful to blacks and other ethnic groups in general and the President and First Lady in particular; I suspect that this post will not sit well with you. So be it. You are entitled to your opinion - I am entitled to mine; it cuts both ways.

please ,

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Its always about race, huh?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The poor blacks they are so oppressed?

Blacks are the down trodden on this society. If they want to be part of America then start acting like it.

No one gives two [bleep] that obama is half black other than the "blacks". You talk racism start with black community. Clean up your own before you start pointing fingers!

Most blacks problems are "themselves" no one elses! Lazy, uneducated, racist that cannot thrive without the help of the white man.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Right.....this coming from someone named "blackhunter".

mmm....nothing like trying to make yourself stand out but by the color of your skin.

496 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who shut down the Government?

The $17 trillion shut it down.

All the people that were furlough were being payed with bowered money and more.

No business or Government can run on bowered money. Some day it has to fail.

The shutdown is just a small dress rehearsal of what has to happen some day.

AN OATH IS NOT SOMETHING YOU GIVE BACK UNLESS YOUR A POLITICIAN!

RACISM ALWAYS EQUALS FEAR!

THE WANTS OF THE FEW SHOULD NOT OUTWEIGH THE RIGHT OF THE MANY!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlackHunter

+1000

But for many; especially those on this board that are incredibly racist in their comments and disrespectful to blacks and other ethnic groups in general and the President and First Lady in particular; I suspect that this post will not sit well with you. So be it. You are entitled to your opinion - I am entitled to mine; it cuts both ways.

You address two totally different topics. My comments re each:

1. You and mule do not understand the US Constitution. The House is doing what the constitution explicitly defines as its job, while the President and Senate have NOT done their constitutionally defined budget work for several years, and are trying to usurp the House role.

2. Racism at the campfire: You are absolutely correct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.