Print Thread
Hop To
K
KHH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I always mount my scopes as low as possible. I have 4 , 700 Rem's with Synthetic stocks on them. I noticed if I close my eye and raise any of these rifle's to my natural shooting position then open my eye I actually have to lower my head to see clearly through the scope. I've never had any problems picking up game while hunting even if its running . Still I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a med. high ring? Right now I use Leupold rings and bases but I notice they don't always algin perfectly, particularly the ones with windage adjustment screws. The ring never seems to line up straight with the base and occasionally require some lapping or a bit of twisting to seat them straight . I've heard the Burris signature do a nice job of aligning the scopes anybody here have them on a rifle that has heavy recoil ? I was planning on trying them on a 338 RUM. I also like the idea and design of the Talley Integral system anybody using them ? I'm am little concerned about the windage issue's that could arise as I've ran into this problem before. Give me your thoughts thanks KH .

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you haven't had any problem in the field, then you probably don't need the medium rings, though obviously they wouldn't hurt anything.

The easiest wy to get the rings aligned in your sort of mount is with the pair of cone-ended cylinders sold for the purpose by Brownells for pretty reasonable price. You mount these in the rings, with the cone ends pointing toward each other, then tweak the rings until the tip of the cones meet. Then you remove the cylinders and mount the scope.

The Burris Signature rings do solve this problem to a certain extent with their plastic inserts. In my experience they would hold a .338 RUM fine.

If everything's aligned on your rifle (barrel with action, scope mount holes with action and barrel) the Talleys will work great. They are as precisely machined as any scope mounts I have ever used. I have used them on several 700's with no problem.

MD

K
KHH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
MD Thanks for your time , your responce is apreciated as always , I was hoping you would weigh in . I have the cones you mentioned and also have a 15" piece of 1" bar I lay in to see how the scope will seat over all after I get them aligned. My real issue with the base's with windage screws has always been. After centering the scope when I try to tighten the windage screws the ring wants to twist . I think having a Machinist background can be a curse at times. A few thousand's seems like alot at times. I'd really like to try the talleys but I wasn't sure what height . Plus I already know the holes on the 338 RUM are abit out of alignment. Guess I'll just have to try and see . Thanks again KH.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have gotten around the twisting (at least to my satisfaction, and I am pretty anal myself) by tightening the ring screws like lug nuts on a wheel. Each gets just a tiny tweak, alternating between sides and ends, until all are tight. The scope is then generally perfectly square with the action, at least according to my Battenfield action and scope levels.

MD

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Get things lined up, clamp that bar in the rings and then tighten as John has outlined.

Chuck

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (21, 160user, 35, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 12,271 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,041
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.