Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
no power or running water is what makes it camp, that is the way ours is. very nice GM

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by admin100
no power or running water is what makes it camp, that is the way ours is. very nice GM

that is the way I grew up going to camp, probably a 300sq/ft camp could sleep eight guys, had a generator, a spring outside, kerosene lantern and a potbellied wood stove. I loved that place. 5 years ago the school district started auctioning off trailers they used as classrooms while doing renovations. I (yes me I'm the dumb""") got the idea of putting a bid in. Got it, and now we have a 1000 sq/ft camp with running water, electric heat, air conditioning, and satellite tv. Don't get me wrong its nice, but its not the same and I miss my old shack. Maybe I'll do some cleaning and go retro, nobody has slept in it for 4 years.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yep, I feel pretty strongly about the whole wood stove, no power, out house & gas lights etc.

We made some benches for the fire ring a little while back.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

added a wooden porch a year ago.

[Linked Image]

an inside shot of the shanty.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Dave, I have read the entire deer camp thread and you have one of the coolest camps around. You guys have way to much fun. I really think what you have is what most on here want (maybe a few more deer).

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Awesome pictures and stories on here. Here in N. Idaho, on the St. Joe river. We usually just hunt from home. I must say I am envious of some of the awesome camps you guys got going on.

Keep the pictures and stories coming, I might have to get a deer camp set up just for the hell of it.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by gmiller
Dave, I have read the entire deer camp thread and you have one of the coolest camps around. You guys have way to much fun. I really think what you have is what most on here want (maybe a few more deer).

Thanks very much, yes we could really go for a few more deer. But we have the important stuff covered.

grin

A deer camp is a really good thing for kids to grow up with.

It's not a bad thing for the old guys either.

It's my vehicle for mentoring efforts. Does that make sense?

When you paint a car with expensive automotive grade paint, the paint has crucial ingredients as well as sacrificial ingredients.

The resins and binders, pigements, metallic flakes etc are all crucial to the end result, that's the good stuff that you want to stick, you want the car to retain it, keep it for ever if possible. The solvent is sacrificial, it evaporates. But you need the solvents to get the crucial ingredients onto the car. The solvent makes it all liquid and sprayable, it allows the paint film to flow out and level itself. When it's work is done, it evaporates. But the good stuff remains exactly how you need it to be.

Paint solvent is my "vehicle" for automotive painting.

Deer camp is my "vehicle" for mentoring efforts with young people.

Deer camps don't last for ever, we all know that.

But some of those young people that had it as part of their childhood will carry it with them like a seed. Some will connect so deeply and feel so strongly about it's importance that they will make it a life goal to start their own deer camps.

That's what happened with me.

Actually my old camp is still going. I just decided I wanted to start a fresh one for my immediate family because I saw great potential to use it as a parenting/mentoring vehicle. I knew that the kids could get more out of it if it was more than just an annual exposure. We use our camp year round, deer season is just the highlight of the year.

When we decided to pull the trigger on our deer camp plan (the wife and I), we really couldn't afford it. But we made it a priority and adjusted accordingly with other financial elements of our life.

We have zero regrets.

Something clever here.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_Dave

We have zero regrets.

smile

I like that.

Camp is where you make it.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
great example, i believe that it is more important in this day and age than ever, it a place to go and get away from everyday life (cell phones, computers,ect,ect). my kids werent always into that belief tho. they lost that battle!!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My Grandaughter has been driving my truck up the camp road most every Sunday morning this summer. She is 6yrs. old.
Northern Dave- Not sure if that Jonesered would make it in my Hollow. Got to have a Husky or Stihl or maybe a Dolmar. You would have to come up, cut a couple cord to prove it.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've seen it firsthand. That big red cuts like a mofo.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Taconic11

Northern Dave- Not sure if that Jonesered would make it in my Hollow. Got to have a Husky or Stihl or maybe a Dolmar. You would have to come up, cut a couple cord to prove it.

lol

I get a lot of firewood split the same way.

"I bet you boys cant swing that axe hard enough to split that wood..."

smile

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ah, The old challenge. Happened to me when I was younger, splitting wood. If I remember, it was Elm. Never get suckered again on that one.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Dave, that's what deer camp is about. My 10 year old son is not big on hunting but he loves going to deer camp. We lease our camp but I hope to have my own on day.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We're heading in to set up next weekend.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The old firetower.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pics ! And that trail looks very good !!

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
North of Orr in Manysodas
[Linked Image]

We even get some deer!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Chainsaw; 10/06/13.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That's beautiful country.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave thanks. At our age it gets a little harder to do year by year. We have some guys that hunt "one ridge" over from us that have become "users" of our camp so to speak and we keep an eye on their stuff as they stay in Orr at a hotel. They help us ol guys if we shoot a buck and it is much appreciated. I keep the camper by an aquaintance in Orr so it makes it easier than having to tow it to Orr every season.

Really enjoyed the pics of your camp as well. I like your family philosophy. Where are you located?

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We are straight south of lake of the woods now, my old camp was south of Tower so I am familiar with the Orr area. I used to see a lot of deer on 53 north of Orr.

Every year I rolled through that area in a 78 F150 with the yoopers playing on the crappy radio. Anxious as could be to get down to camp and see all the guys.

I miss that group.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1minute, 69 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,207
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.