-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
62# Drenalin, 524 grain Centershot Beman arrow with Muzzy Phantom MX4 cut on contact BH, and a 15 yard shot. Hit the right front shoulder and broke the shoulder/leg bone, then exited breaking a rib on the opposite side. Arrow was about 5 feet beyond the deer where it was hit.
Very happy with the penetration on the shot, that's the way I like for it to happen. Oh, it was a 4 point whitetail, about 110 pounds.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sounds typical.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some guy over on the Leatherwall just shot a bull moose with a 44# longbow and got a complete passthru.

A sharp head and true arrow will go through a lot of animal.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
cut on contact and good arrows seem to amaze folks.

Wife shot just under 50 pounds, Zwickey head and heavy AL arrow through a boar that bottomed our 350 pound scales, through about 3 inches of shield, through the heart, through the other shield and about half out the other side. Nope its not complete pass through but for what she shot it was amazing to many.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Dayom. I've often wondered what an arrow through a boars shield would do.

I shot a big 5x5 bull through the ribs with a Mathews bow at 65 lb with an ultra light
Gold Tip with a 100 gr. rocket expandable (3 short blades) and it fell out the other side as he ran off.

Last edited by eyeball; 10/09/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sounds pretty typical. The thick joint below the blade can be tough. I've seen many arrows stop with that hit. Always best not to go for the shoulder on entrance IMO.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by eyeball

I shot a big 5x5 bull through the ribs with a Mathews bow at 65 lb with an ultra light
Gold Tip with a 100 gr. rocket expandable (3 short blades) and it fell out the other side as he ran off.

I've pulled bullets from deer rounds out of shields, stopped in place, never even made it to a rib.

An arrow with cut on contact head, will cut through any shield unless you maybe find one with a ton of dry mud on it to dull it before it can get to cutting shield.
Other non COC heads, will generally do ok, but won't penetrate as far.

Of cousre it takes a LOT of pig to get a 3 inch shield. A 1.5 inch or less shield doesn't take that much to go through.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by eyeball

I have killed three boars with the Thunderhead 85 gr and it zipped through those shoulder shields like they were hot butter . One at 70# pull the other two at 60 # pull.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A friend of mine shot a 5x5 elk with a 62 # compound and cut on contact BH that hit the shoulder bone. It curled the broadhead point like a sardine can lid. Two days later with same arrow and BH he shot a 6x6 perfectly and got a pass through that went 15-20 yards beyond the animal. I shot a 4x4 elk with a 62 # compound with a Trocar tip muzzy and I also hit the shoulder bone. I did not get the broken two inches of arrow tip back to examine, but it did not penetrate the bone. At least it stopped there. I began building my arrows with a heavy front of center wanting better penetration. I was pleased when my shot on the whitetail shattered the leg bone and continued on breaking ribs and passed through with plenty of energy left. Wasn't trying for the bone shot, but it does happen. I believe a perfect shot behind the shoulder does not take much to get a pass through, but it is the bone crushing shots that heavy arrows excell.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,259
Posts18,504,801
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.