Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
After last year's �no tag cut� sheep hunt, Helen and I once again pointed our noses north in search of her first ram.

1000 km of pavement, 400 �clicks� of gravel (complete with one flat tire), 130 km in a 185 on floats, 10 km on foot to a base camp and we were at it again!

We picked up a horse trail about 4 km up the drainage (came in from a side valley) that made the pack in a bit easier.

[Linked Image]

We set up a camp at about 6000� and headed out in different directions each day...

[Linked Image]

� except for this day�

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We searched high and wide�

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/Goat%20hunt%202013/Panorama1-s_zps537174d6.jpg[/img]

� but not a sheep did we find.

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/Goat%20hunt%202013/sillohouette-s_zpsd05e2ea1.jpg[/img]

So in the last few days of our trip we turned our attention to goats, somewhat accidentally as I was glassing a side hill and spotted a Billy as he moved out of one hollow to the next. Helen had a tag so an hour later we were creeping down the side of the mountain to where I was sure I had correctly land-marked his location. Much to Hel�s surprise I was right this time and, after initially freezing for what turned out to be a large white rock, we saw the top of a goat�s back, its hair rippling in the wind.

We made ourselves small on the side of the mountain.

The goat disappeared behind the rise.

�What�s the plan?� queried Helen

�Wait�

�What?�

�Wait� I said again. �It will probably feed its way out in a minute�. Surprisingly that�s what happened. A few minutes later the Billy strolled out from behind the small hump and without so much as a glance our way, stood and surveyed the valley below. Being right twice in one day was indeed a big accomplishment for me but I didn�t dwell on it too long.

He was 75 yards away.

I watched him through my bino�s and Hel had him lined up in the scope of her muzzleloader.

�Is he a good one?� she asked.

�Not too bad� I said. �Looks bigger than your last one�

�Should I take him?�

�Up to you�

�ShouldIshoothim!?�

�Your call�

I thought for a very brief moment she was going to let him walk, but then a roll of thunder and a cloud of smoke let me know she had sparked the powder in her Knight .50.

For once I was on the right side of her cannon and smoke didn�t obscure my view of the goat. He hunched up like he was hit hard, looked up the mountain at us, looked back down at the valley, turned and took 3 steps and fell over stone dead.

Hel had taken her second muzzleloader goat.

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/Goat%20hunt%202013/Hwithgoat2-s_zpsff122b76.jpg[/img]

The pack out to the lake was one of the tougher ones I�ve done.

I realized it was going to be trouble when we had all our camp divvied up and loaded, and I also had most of the de-boned goat and the whole hide, and I went to stand up with my pack on. I tried to roll forward to get up� nothing budged. I tried to roll from one side to the other to get the weight under me� nothing budged. This wasn�t going to be good.

I got Hel to come over and lift the pack and push me forward at the same time and finally I staggered to my feet.

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/Goat%20hunt%202013/Rloadedup-s_zps27b6e681.jpg[/img]

Once upright, the 150+ lb pack (I weighed it when I got home) didn�t feel too bad� for the first 400 yards. Then my hips started to protest this injustice. At 51 my bumper to bumper warrantee has long since expired but I figured if I might need �after-market� replacement parts this was going to tell me, so I was happy it was only my hips that were ticked off- they�d get over it. The �you�re too old for this [bleep]� side of the brain kept piping up with that statement but then the optimistic side said �hey you�re still able to do it!� 5 km in the �too old� side was starting to win the argument. We might have to bring the kids next year.

The 10 km pack out to the lake was fairly uneventful, except for a terrifying moment when I stepped off a small bank and a rock rolled out from under my back foot. I pitched over to my left and managed to plant the trek pole into the rocks of the creek bed to stop me from going over. My back leg was stretched out and partially bent (like doing a lunge) and all the pack weight was on my rear leg and pole. I looked down and the Leki pole was bent like one of my strung recurves and at the angle I was at I couldn�t stand back up. I was really hoping that pole would hold and not snap and pitch me into the creek bed.

�Ahh, Helen!� I believe there was a tone of urgency to my voice.

Was I ever glad to see the lake. There were a couple of airline sized shots of whiskey in the �lake bag� and 40 Creek and hot chocolate never tasted that good. That and a couple of fresh trout for dinner put a happy stamp on the end of our trip.

GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tim and the �Fresh Air� Cessna picked us up the following day and we had a beautiful flight back.

[Linked Image]

So strike two on the sheep but another goat for Hel and a fine adventure regardless.

RC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Tuff,
Thanks for posting the story and photos. Great looking country! You certainly paid your dues with the weather and the ultimate pack out. Any comments on equipment that worked exceptionally well or something that failed to perform?
Congrats to the wife.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Congrats on a fine hunt!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congrats! Everything about this hunt report was sweet. I need to figure out a way to get my Mrs. out there with me more often on trips like that.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

IC B2

T
T
Congrats. Thanks for the write up.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Words could never describe that adventure I'm sure but you did a magnificent job. And the pictures show the total beauty of creation. Thank you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amazing scenery there. Thank you for sharing your story and photos, and congratulations on a successful hunt!

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Great story and pics Tuff, I love reading these hunts. Thanks.

Sucess only comes before work in the dictionary.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks, folks!

Bigwhoop: We've pretty much weeded out the gear that doesn't work. smile Tried the Kifaru gunbearer this year for the first time- liking that rig!
3 indispensable pieces are the jetboil, siltarp and decent hiking poles! lol

Bushcraft: have your "people" call my "people", she'll get her sorted out. smile Some of my best hunts have been with my wife.

RC

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Excellent story and a great Trophy for the Mrs...

Congrats

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Excellent story and pics. Congrats to you and your wife.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Great pics and hunt! That is a good goat your wife shot. What pack are you using?
Cheers,
Bruce

"There'll be no quitters till we bag some critters."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tuffcity;
Thanks again for sharing your photos with us, somehow I'd missed this until now.

Please pass along hearty congratulations to your wife on a fine goat, doubly cool with a muzzle loader too.

I'll send you a tip of the hat for packing that load out...... It would appear we're the same age and there is no way in this lifetime I'd have been able to get that out in one trip.

Thanks again for the wonderful photos and hunt story, all the best to you and yours in the rest of your hunts this fall and if you are ever in this part of the world give us a call.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Somehow I missed this too. Great story and photos! Thanks for posting. Like BC30cal, we're about the same age. About half that load would be my limit I believe! Congrats that you can "still do it". I sometimes have that same thought...and I usually pay a price for having it! blush

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Great Pics! Good work!

West Kentucky Boy
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Mr. Tuff, a great trip with a valuable partner.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That was a really enjoyable write-up.

Nice photos and congrats to the wifey on a really nice goat.

Cheers!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sorry for the thread resurrection. smile Been moose hunting and didn't see the replies until now.

Mooseknuckler- my pack is a Tasmanian tiger- holds way more than I could pack out if it was filled to the top. A bit on the heavy side right out of the gate but bomb proof and if a guy spends the time fitting it, it really makes a difference in comfort when packing.

Snubbie- oh I paid for packing that- but in hind sight, that's a bill I'll foot any time! lol

My wife is awesome to hunt with, never complains, packs her share (she was running close to 70 lbs coming out)and the sheer look of excitement on her face when we connect is worth it!

RC

Last edited by Tuffcity; 10/28/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Awesome story and write up! The scenery is fantastic. Thanks for posting.

I really want to go do that one day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 10 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,398
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.