Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Klaatu Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Does anyone know how to get dried expanding foam off your favorite hunting shirt. Maybe a hacksaw?

The F-4 Phantom II is the standard of excellence that all modern fighters are measured by. Sign on the wall at the factory in St. Louis.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once dried, it doesn't come off of anything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That stuff is tough. Make it your expanding foam shirt and buy a new favorite hunting shirt.

Americans First!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The best way to remove it is to accept that your favorite hunting shirt now has some expanding foam on it..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
been there... what u need to do is accept the lost...peel what u can with your fingernail ....than find a bunch of magic markers and add to/replace the mess

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you have not tried it, shooting cans of expanding foam is very fun. Do it from a distance to avoid getting any on your shirt.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple of electronics engineers at a certain goofermint facility needed some expanding foam to encapsulate a piece of gear that they'd cobbled-up.

There was no one in the tool crib when they went there, so they went in, got a box of the binary ingredients, mixed 'em in a bucket, took what they needed, and left.

When the custodian of the tool crib came back, he couldn't get the door open. The tool crib was full of expanded foam.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fire! Ugh, or buy a new shirt. The good news, you now have a favorite expanding foam application shirt. Same goes with that liquid nails stuff, have a spot on one shirt and a pare of Wranglers, 'bout three years running.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
acetone will eventually get it, might eat your shirt too.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hang it next to your favorite caulking shirt, which hangs next to your favorite painting shirt......

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I think lacquer thinner will melt it.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a pair of jeans (actually wore them today) that I got some expanding foam on 5 years ago. These jeans I wear/wash weekly. That bit of foam is still on them 5 years later. Everytime I wear them my wife says I spilt mustard on my crotch....

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NathanL
acetone ...

This, if anything.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klaatu
Does anyone know how to get dried expanding foam off your favorite hunting shirt. Maybe a hacksaw?

I think once it's dried you're screwed - I've been using some of the DAP brand in the blue and black can as of late and it's water soluable when wet and that's saved me a bit of anquish.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Once they cure, acetone won't do much to these materials, but it may soften them up a bit depending on the chemistry. Most of these materials, like the foam, have relatively low glass transition temperatures and because of this, if you heat them with a heat gun, they will soften and you can often (though not always) scrape the material away when it is soft. I don't think a hair dryer will get it hot enough, but you can try that if it's all you have or you can try a torch, but you'll have to be very careful that your shirt or pants don't go up in flames. Just my 2 cents.

K
Klaatu Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks all. Off to the Bass Pro sale. Get me a new one just like it,

The F-4 Phantom II is the standard of excellence that all modern fighters are measured by. Sign on the wall at the factory in St. Louis.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guy I know had two cans of the stuff blow on the dashboard of his truck!

He had to carve out a space to drive the truck away smile

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife dropped a new can on the tile floor of our laundry room. That SOB blew up and shot that crap all over the place. We looked like one armed paper hangers trying to wipe it all off before it dried. We got everything but the ceiling, clothes, and a couple small spots on the cabinets. After it dried most of it came off, but if it was on the clothes it was there for good. I don't keep that crap at home anymore. 15 minutes to the lumber yard isn't that far...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by supercrewd
If you have not tried it, shooting cans of expanding foam is very fun. Do it from a distance to avoid getting any on your shirt.

LOL ... Great Stuff foam costs $3 - $4 a can but that does seem like it would be great fun. laugh

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My friends in and around Superior, Montana, put dynamite in pop cans and shoot at 'em � from a long way off, of course!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 10 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,658
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.