Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Anyone own one of these? From the 80's, thinking of looking for one to use for u
Hunting, or a jeep cj7. Any thoughts

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of power and great 4wd system. However, mine was a rustbucket and pass everthing on the road except a gas pump.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
some people have coke addictions, some are alcoholics, i have a buddy who finally beat the wagoneer addiction. IMHO, they drink a lot of fuel, are not the most reliable vehicle (produced by AMC) but they can be pretty cool if you are willing to spend the money and build one from the ground up.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like any older rig, if you are a decent mechanic and like to work on vehicles, they are fine. I can see where putting on one of the new fuel injection systems and a modern ignition system would make one a nice rig.

With the internet, it seems like information and spare parts are more available then ever, for all kinds of rigs....THis is one of the biggest pluses any more....

Regards,

Tom
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They don't float worth a damn...

just ask my brother

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had both a Grand Wagoneer ('89) and a Grand Cherokee ('98). Honestly the GC is a way better vehicle. Better power to weight, better ride, better MPG, far more reliable, easier to work on. Top that off with better availability and a cheap price tag and the GC wins hands down.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had 2 Wagoneers, both from the late 70's. They were very capable offroad but they had some design problems.

1st was a severe vapor lock problem. The engine compartment was so tight that it didn't get any airflow at all. The gas would get so hot that you could hear it boiling in the float bowl. They fixed that later when they dropped the carb and put in fuel injection along with getting the fuel pump out of the engine compartment.

2d was a gas filler hole that was the same level as the tank and way behind it. Going up a steep hill, gas ran out the filler hole. They fixed that when they went to sealed gas caps.

Last was that idiotic 4x4 lock switch in the glove box, of all the stupid places to put it. There was no way to reach it without stopping and sliding over if you didn't have a co-pilot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Didn't the Wagoneer have a ladder frame, like a CJ? A friend had one years ago and he couldn't afford to keep gas in it.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Last was that idiotic 4x4 lock switch in the glove box, of all the stupid places to put it. There was no way to reach it without stopping and sliding over if you didn't have a co-pilot.

Sad but funny.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Sad but funny.

In my experience the switch in the glove box, just proved we needed to walk for a little bit of help....

If I could find a wagoneer without rust in Minnesota, I think I would buy it....its like a station wagon but just a little bit cooler. wink

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
my buddy rooster7 has one over Hawley direction. I think his is pretty rust free.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We used them a lot in the late 70's and early 80's to transport people from the airport to a guest ranch. Great rigs in the snow and ice. Off road they hit their limit pretty quickly but were decent in mud and ice on back roads. Poor fuel mileage. Some reliability issues. They rusted quickly and badly where we were.

I agree with KillKenny that the mid to late 90's Grand Cherokees were better rigs just not as roomy.

If you have located a rust free unit in decent shape they are probably worth using as long as you like to buy gas.

Last edited by stantdm; 10/18/13.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An FSJ (pre-XJ) has a carbureted V8, comparing mileage to a late model XJ 4.0 inline six with multiport fuel injection or the multiport fuel injected 5.2 or 5.9, whichever was used in the Grand Cherokee is not a fair comparison. And the 5.2 in my Dodge 1500 QC 4x4 sucked major G-ass.

No different than comparing a 75 Chevy pickup with a 350/TH350 to an 89 with a 350/700R4 or an 01 with a 5.3/4L60

The Quadratrac, Borg Warner 1339 fulltime transfer case noted above, had the differential lock in the glove box, if a guy is offroad rather than traveling down slick roads it should be engaged before the crap gets deep.

The real problem with the Quadratrac now, is the limited availability of Morse chains, 99.99% of what is on the market is china'loca crap that simply will not last long at all.

Once Chrysler bought AMC they replaced the AMC 360 with a Chrysler 360 and changed the transfer case, I don't have any interest in the late model FSJ's so I can't say what they used but I don't hear the same chatter about parts availability.

The FSJ's with leaf spring Dana 44 solid axles front and rear rides damn nice stock, it's a much better all around towing vehicle than an XJ or ?J Grand Cherokee, really, it's a 1/2 ton tow vehicle with good weight distribution.

I almost gave up the hunt looking for an AMC Cherokee but I found one, I will swap the 360/TH400/QT for a 5.3/NP241/4L60E and have the reliability, driveability, mileage and the low emissions of a late model Tahoe with a [bleep] ton more character when I am finished.

Dave

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wagoneers, Grand Wagoneers, Cherokees and J trucks never received Chryco 360's.
http://jubileejeeps.org/faqs/amcv8.htm

The Borg Warner QuadraTrac came in two variants. The 1305 and 1339. The 1339 used the optional low range box.
The, IMHO, bum rap the BW 1305/1339 got came from people people who either didn't know or didn't want to take proper care of them. They use/d a special fluid with friction modifiers and the chain was/is considered a maintenance item that needs changed periodically. Sadly, you are correct, the BW chains are no longer made and the cheap china junk ones don't last and are easily broken.
http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm

As for the E-Drive switch in the glove box. If a guy is handy, it's a simple matter to fabricate a manual set-up using a push pull cable, a bracket and some shade tree engineering. This would be advisable anyway since the vacuum pods are no longer available.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stand corrected, thanks.

I had no issue with the Quadratrac in my Waggie and I abused the hell out of mine for years behind a 401. My current Cherokee could use a new chain but I will light-foot it until the drivetrain swap.

Dave

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A friend in New Mexico had several. After our hunting property sold, I have not had close contact. Along toward the end of our hunting together, he came across a loaded version, exceptionally low miles, garaged and overall really nice including the leather seating. The old ones were exceptional hunting machines for moderate offloading. Too low for really rough terrain, used lots of gas, but comfortable.

Today, I suspect one would need to,be a great mechanic or wealthy to maintain one. If wealthy, there are better options. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by jt402
Today, I suspect one would need to,be a great mechanic or wealthy to maintain one. If wealthy, there are better options. Jack

Blaspheme!! grin

Not many late model rigs will take this,
[Linked Image]

Pulled so well, I almost forgot the truck was back there.

And then drive home,
[Linked Image]

I'd have never tried this with the '91 heavy half GMC we own either.
[Linked Image]

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know how they'd be to own but sure was nice driving an old straight six Tornado overhead cam. Good enough grunt gettin goin with a trailer and on the hard road could breathe deep at speed. A great wagon I thought.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 3,090 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,672
Posts18,534,185
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.