-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have any Sako type extracters, nor any good pictures. And no way to compare them, but would one from a Mark V Wby. work?

How about one from an M1 or M14. Don't know if it can be done either with the Wby. or the military rifles.

Are there any other push feed rifles with Sako/M16 type extracters that might be better or work better than the Sako?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There is nothing wrong with a Sako extractor when properly installed. I have used many of them, with that said I prefer an M-16 style pinned extractor there is no stronger in a 700

"Fast is fine accurate is final"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've had to replace a Remington extractor on a Remington 700 in 17 Remington, a ULA extractor on a 17 Remington, and a Sako extractor on a 700 Remington chambered in 20 Tactical. Any of them can break.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you need a Sako or M-16 extractor on a Remington 700 because you're busting extractors, buy a Savage rifle instead.

I can install a Savage extractor in about a minute with just my thumb, okay I'm built like a gorilla. Or I can swap in a new bolt head already to go in about five minutes. Never had a Savage extractor break. Even the new Remington 783 uses a sliding plate extractor in the lower lug, just like the Savage. Requires no extra cut in the bolt body to allow escaping gas to dance around toward your face.

I have Remington 700's dating back to the 1970's, some on their third barrel, and still using the original extractor. Never had one bust.

If you gotta mess around with the extractor, might as well buy a whole new bolt, with your choice of extractor cut. https://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.co...101&zenid=knkl1vstn7rpi7278184vam810

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Patrick_James: I have been shooting Remington 700's (also 722'2s, 721's, 40X's, Model 7's, XR-100's) and the like ever since the early 1960s and I have yet to buy one new and later have an extractor fail.
I have bought two used Model 700's that had "weak" extractor/ejector functioning immediately upon coming into my possession.
And those two were cured with extractor replacement.
I have also owned three Remington Rifles with Sako extractors installed - one was an XP-100 actioned custom Rifle and the other two were customized Model 700's - all work quite well with the Sako extractors.
I still own and shoot two of these Sako extracting Remingtons.
Personally I like and am confident in the Sako extractoring Remingtons.
I am a notorious non-hotrodding handloader though and I do not worry about high pressures at all - so IF there is any weakness in the Sako installation I am probably immune to that.
I wish you the best of luck with your new custom Rifle and I am pleased to hear your Remington is following along in its tradition of being accurate!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
IMHO. I have been smithing for 29 years now and I have seen and replaced many 700/721 series extractors that were messed up and either would not extract or leave the empty sitting on top of the loaded rounds in the magazine. Two this year alone. One was on the Fountain PD's left hand sniper rifle and the other had to go back to Remington as it was a brand new 375 H&H that had a problem from the get go. I keep all types or Remington extractors in stock because they get used both snap in and rivet type. They are a very much used part as all parts suppliers have them in stock. i.e. Brownells and Midway. In my experience, Mule Deer you have had good luck in spite of the Remington extractors rather then because of them. I choose to tell of my experience and don' want to engage in a Urinary Olympics with anybody here on the Fire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An awful lot, if not all, custom 700 clone actions use the Sako type extractor or the M-16 extractor as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There was always something that rubbed me the wrong way about buying a Rem 700 with an eye toward replacing the extractor.

Not that I ever did it, but if a guy does not trust the extractor, then buy something else.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
There was always something that rubbed me the wrong way about buying a Rem 700 with an eye toward replacing the extractor.

Not that I ever did it, but if a guy does not trust the extractor, then buy something else.

I don't and I did wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't most of the guys who work on M70's (Classic's) replace the extractor with the Williams unit Bob ? Maybe you see something I don't then.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RD: That's easy....the Classic ain't a real M70...it needs fixing. grin

But I see your point and it's a bit different. All we are doing in replacing the MIM extractor on a Classic is sliding the thing off and popping on the same design made from a different(correct)spring steel model. We are not re machining anything and cutting into those 3 rings of steel,which is a real alteration of the Rem 700 design.I figure I will follow along with the Remington design engineers

All I am saying is the Rem extractor has always worked fine for me and if I want something that I think is more robust I'd just buy a different action.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew you would see that replacing the extractor on the Classic was more like a religious experience......... grin I do see your point in that you are replacing the design altogether with the 700. I got caught up in the Sako extractor replacement fad and wouldn't do it again if I were building something today.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
RD,

The extractors on the M70 Classics aren't made of spring steel. If they bend, they stay bent.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
JB,

Do you change out your Classic extractors or use them as is?

DF

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had understood that if you replace the Rem 700 extractor you also need to drill holes in the bottom of the bolt body to vent gases down through the magazine (and away from your face) in the event of a primer or case rupture. As shown in examples given, if all you do is install a Sako extractor there is no place for the gas to go and the action was never designed to handle gas that way.

Remington do install a Sako or M16 type extractor on their M700 in 338 Lapua but I can't recall what else they did to the bolt to handle the venting of gases in the event of a failure. Maybe someone that has one could comment?

Last edited by JFE; 10/09/13.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As many have stated, I have no desire to own a 700 with a Sako extractor. I've yet to experience failure with a 700's extractor and I believe it's a far safer design than the Sako modification.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JFE
Remington do install a Sako or M16 type extractor on their M700 in 338 Lapua but I can't recall what else they did to the bolt to handle the venting of gases in the event of a failure. Maybe someone that has one could comment?

Interesting. I've never handled a .338 Lapua, M-700.

If they're doing that with the Lapua, maybe they don't have full confidence in their "C" clip extractor.

I would like to hear more about this and how they handle the gas venting issue.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DF,

I don't own a M70 Classic anymore, but have owned a few in the past and changed the extractor when it seemed like a smart thing to do--for instance, on a .416 Remington Magnum.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I can get a Williams SS extractor from Brownells for around $50 for my SS Classic, now a .404J. I may have to do some filing for the slightly larger .404 rim, but that shouldn't be a problem.

DF

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I don't and I did wink

Well I DO.....and I DIDN"T

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 41 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,571
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.