Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I own 7x57's because it just seems right in a Mauser action, particularly my Swede based rifle. About the ideal action for one it seems.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
For me,it's kind of hard to pick up a 7mm Mauser and not think of Jack and Eleanor O'Connor,W.D.M. Bell and Ingwe. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ah, yes, the 7x57: Giant Dall rams, big ivory and leopard-print thongs....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John, you were doing great with the rams & ivory but then came the bleach in the eyes.... smile

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The first CF rifle I ever shot was a 7x57. When we were about 10 my cousin & I grabbed the old Spanish Mauser my uncle had borrowed from one of his friends and what were undoubtedly some 175 gr factory loads and headed off to the river. I raised the rifle to my shoulder, aimed at some mark on the bluffs on the other side and with a great deal of trepidation squeezed the trigger. Wow! Lots of noise and instant airborne dirt 100 yds away - unlike the .22s I usually shot. I remember being shocked that it really didn't kick much. COOL!

Practicality and Magnumitus got hold of me over the next few decades, but I never forgot the sheer joy of touching off that old Mauser and so finally a few years ago I progressed back to the 7x57. These days my .308's stay at home and I don't miss those practical rifles a bit.

Undoubtedly a 7-08 would do all I've needed so far, but I have a new SIL who likes to hunt elk, so who knows...

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ah, yes, the 7x57: Giant Dall rams, big ivory and leopard-print thongs....
The first two images are what I was thinking,the third sick . Think Ingwe wears leopard-print thongs only when he uses a .223 AI.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Quite a while ago, John Jobson (I think) wrote an article about the .270 versus the .280. His conclusion was that if you have one -either one- it didn't make any sense to sell it in order to get the other one. I think that's the answer in this case.

Aim for the exit hole.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I see references to the 7x57 being capable of running somewhat faster than the 7-08, which is logical - a bit more case capacity.

Any thoughts why Ken Waters, in three articles in Pet Loads, couldn't get the 7x57 quite up to 7-08 velocities? He even stated that primer pockets got loose when he used heavy charges attempting to reach 7-08 velocities.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Probably the brass he used. Waters never had a really accurate method for testing pressures.

As somebody else already pointed out, the Nosler data lists 7x57 velocities as almost matching 7mm-08 velocities, even though their test barrel for the 7x57 is 22" long and the 7-08 test barrel 26" long.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I dunno what Ken Waters did, but I hit 7mm Rem. Mag velocities on a hot day with 140 partitions and Win. 760 in my little 1A Ruger once upon a time! shocked Scary part is, extraction, brass, and primers were all fine! So of course, you have to chrony a couple more to believe what you're seeing!!!

I've had 3 7x57's. 2 '95's and the #1. One '95 was just shot with old surplus ball at rocks, dirt clods, cans, etc. The other was a really nice DWM that someone had put a California Syle Fajen Stock on. I didn't care for the stock or the 29" barrel, but it would put 3 Winchester 175's in an inch at 100 yards.

The little #1A is a sweetheart with a 2-7x32 Monarch on top. When I read Mule Deer's article a few years back where he opened his up to .280AI, I thought about it; then sat down, closed my eyes for a minute, and thought about it no further.

I will say I passed up a killer deal on a push feed Featherweight Model 70 about 15 years ago. It still haunts me....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
760 will do that on a hot day!

I wouldn't have rechambered my No. 1A 7x57 except I'd just about decided to sell it anyway. It shot fine, and I've always liked the 7x57 1A. (My first No. 1 of any kind was one.) But I already had a custom Serengeti that was exactly the bolt-action 7x57 I'd always wanted, and when Nosler came out with the .280 AI I needed to experiment with one. Instead of buying or building another rifle, I had the local gunsmithing shop do the conversion, using several Nosler cases to get the chamber right.

It worked out very well in every way. Not only did Nosler ammo shoot well, but standard .280 brass fire-formed perfectly in the new chamber. I handloaded and hunted with the rifle for a while, and when I knew what needed to be known about the .280 AI sold the rifle. But I still had my perfect 7x57, and still do.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Yes, I've seen the Serengeti in some of your articles. Drooled on the pics a time or two too!

To tell the truth though. There are two people responsible for me having a 1A 7 Mauser.

The first would be Ross Seyfried. When I was in High School I read an article he wrote on the 7x57 and I decided right then I'd have to have me a ".275 Rigby" someday. I swear, I think Seyfried could have wrote an article about hunting with a ball bat and it would have made me lust for a ball bat! Unfortunately, I'm sure it would have been a ball bat out of my price range!

The second would be you! When I started earning a little bit of money not long after I got out of college, I was reading an article in "Rifle" or "Handloader" you had written. There was a picture of a 1A 7mm leaned up against a little daypack. Seemed like it might have had a little Burris mounted on it. That pic just kinda spoke to me.....had to have one.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That was probably my first 1A 7x57. Got it used sometime in the 80's and it took a while to get it shooting right, since it had a VERY long throat. But read one of Ross's articles and had a gunsmith install a screw on the end of the forend hanger, and after that it shot real well with bullets that could be seated out to the lands.

Killed a pronghorn at almost 400 yards with it one year, the hunt where the daypack photo came from. That was back before laser rangefinders, and like a dummy I shot OVER the first antelope at about 300 yards, because everybody knows the 7x57 doesn't shoot very flat. But held right on the second one....

John Steinbeck
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I remember that article. It seems like it was in September of 1997. How I remember that I have no idea. And perhaps I am wrong on the date.

W
W
:)The M98 mauser action was designed for the 8x57 ,which is the same case as the 7x57. So it is no problem about having a short case as you would have with 708 it's family. The 257 roberts is based on the 7x57 case. Again no problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You'll never be able to hunt in France with the 7x57... grin

Agreed on the "logic" of going to a 280 over the 7x57 in the LA... most cartridges run best near max and some of us are tiring of recoil. I prefer stuff that runs under 50 grains of powder anymore, and I'd gladly run a 257 Rob on a LA.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's interesting that tiring of recoil keeps coming up in many of the forum posts. Several ammo companies are now offering "Managed Recoil" or "Lite" loads in the more popular calibers. It seems rather ironic to see a "Managed Recoil" load in a .300 Win Mag, but Remington certainly sells enough boxes to keep the load on the market.

I think too, as many have pointed out, with advances in bullet design, small calibers and lighter loads are proving to be very efficient.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RevMike
It's interesting that tiring of recoil keeps coming up in many of the forum posts. Several ammo companies are now offering "Managed Recoil" or "Lite" loads in the more popular calibers. It seems rather ironic to see a "Managed Recoil" load in a .300 Win Mag, but Remington certainly sells enough boxes to keep the load on the market.

I think too, as many have pointed out, with advances in bullet design, small calibers and lighter loads are proving to be very efficient.

I understand the argument that X cartridge can always be loaded-down. However, the machismo/bravado/testosterone in me wants to have each cartridge performing to its (safe) potential. I'd rather have a 7x57 sending 160's at 2600-ish, than a 7mag doing the same thing.

You're right-on about the bullets being better, though. I can get almost 3K with a 130 TSX from a .300 Savage, with very little recoil or muzzle blast. I'm guessing I'd have to find some awfully heavy/tough critters to see where that load would start becoming inadequate.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I load my 7mm-08 to just a hair over 2700 fps with 145 gr. Speer bullets and that has been a wonderful load for deer hunting. You can easily do the same load in a 7x57

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 19rabbit52, 65 invisible), 2,823 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,644
Posts18,512,394
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.