Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Hey guys,

I have a Browning Citori 20 gauge and hunt partridge in Maine. I am thinking of trying Steel Shot even though it will be used for upland/partridge hunting. I've heard and read you should use different size shot and chokes when using steel shot. Can you guys recommend a size steel shot load i should use on partridge with my 20 gauge as well as what size chokes i should be using.

Thanks!

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by elelbean
Hey guys,

I have a Browning Citori 20 gauge and hunt partridge in Maine. I am thinking of trying Steel Shot even though it will be used for upland/partridge hunting. I've heard and read you should use different size shot and chokes when using steel shot. Can you guys recommend a size steel shot load i should use on partridge with my 20 gauge as well as what size chokes i should be using.

Thanks!

The choke tubes from yr Citori should say right on the tubes whether steel shot can be used or they are for "lead shot only". In that case , don't. Early season pats will be shot up close or they'll be gone in the cover. Cylinder/SK1 are in my guns for early season.

And also I wouldn't shoot steel for anything unless it was required by law; its inferior to lead shot in all aspects.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use #6 lead and IC choke, but if your gonna shoot steal then go up a couple of sizes and open your choke some. So cylinder bore or skeet for you choke and #4s for your shot. A grouse is bigger than a teal and #4s kill plenty of teal for me. So patterns should be dense enuff. Pattern your gun to see but I'm confident this is a good starting place. good luck.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've shot lots of pheasants, waterfowl and sage grouse with steel, and I don't find it inferior to lead in every respect. Fasteel by Kent has been fast enough it pulverized birds unless I let them get farther away, and the lead is less because the speed is faster. I find number 4 shot with an improved cylinder choke works well, but agree a skeet or cylinder choke might be better for ruffed grouse with number 6 steel.

Last edited by DrHJH; 10/08/13.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Might I ask why you would even consider using steel shot when not required by law?

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I wouldn't, but it is required in WY on the Game and Fish units I hunt, and on federal waterfowl refuges when hunting pheasants. I don't use it for quail in AZ, or for blue, ruffed, or sage grouse in WY. But, I have never felt it is as worthless as the steel haters claim, and do not intend to pay the high prices of tungsten or hevi-shot. I have killed a couple hundred pheasants with steel, and dead is dead, whether with steel or lead. I simply do not take long shots, and within 35 yards with my 20 gauge it is acceptable. I have a choice - I can stay home or use steel for pheasants in WY. The question was what would I use for upland birds at close range, not whether I would prefer it.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Should have replied to the OP's post instead of yours, that was who I intended to ask. It sounds like he is just wanting to try steel as an alternative to lead when not required. No idea why anyone would do that. I guess I'm lucky, in that, I don't need to hunt USFWS land for pheasants. I tried it a couple of times years ago and found using steel on pheasants to be very frustrating.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 907brass, 32_20fan, 1badf350, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,672
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.