Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Gus
good questions. I've always supported the development of good questions to be doused on the lurking masses.

without proper "witches brews" emanating from big ag, and big pharma the world would be vastly different than what it is.

modern chemistry and bio-engineering keeps our system ticking.

Yea, in 1900 the average lifespan of a man was 47 years. We take these medications with POSSIBLE side effects because we prefer dying later rather than earlier. The resurgence in pertussis and the deaths and damage done by it is due to those too stupid to take advantage of the miracles He said we would do.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not equipped to argue the science of this debate, but I do object vehemently to the predatory actions taken by Monsanto regarding cross pollination across property lines and hell will freeze before I embrace an ag concept which promotes use of herbicides on something I'll eat later on. Talk about a sea of ignorance...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scott hit it on the head. We're not being given a choice. Something this country is running low on in many areas.

I realize that 60% of us will die of something in our lifetimes. But along the way, there are certain choices to be made. Right or wrong, I want those choices to be mine.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Excellent post and spot on, Miles!

Ed

A HUGE +1.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remember, syphilis is natural and organic, too.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pira114
Scott hit it on the head.

Occasionally is screw up nd get one right. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by pira114
Scott hit it on the head.

Occasionally is screw up nd get one right. grin
Yep, just like the roulette wheel occasionally hits double green zero. grin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by Gus
good questions. I've always supported the development of good questions to be doused on the lurking masses.

without proper "witches brews" emanating from big ag, and big pharma the world would be vastly different than what it is.

modern chemistry and bio-engineering keeps our system ticking.

Yea, in 1900 the average lifespan of a man was 47 years. We take these medications with POSSIBLE side effects because we prefer dying later rather than earlier. The resurgence in pertussis and the deaths and damage done by it is due to those too stupid to take advantage of the miracles He said we would do.

I agree, and I also choose to go to bed tonight and every night with a full stomach. Even if it could possibly harm me later, starvation would kill me quicker. I am not trying to start any fights, I agree our food system is a long way from perfect. But, things are still far better now than they were 100 years ago.

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

who gives a [bleep] about the stuff that goes wrong

Tough to be pissed when God gives you dogs

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I can choose to take a medicine or not to take it. The ability to chooses non GMO corn has been all but totally removed.

Unfortunately Scott, you cannot choose in today's market it is virtually impossible to go into a grocery store and buy any animal products that are not contaminated. I turned up allergic to doxycycline the first time it was prescribed to me because of dietary intake from meat/fish/milk, etc. The same thing happend to me with the first script for ciprofloxacn. Remember the anthrax scare on the east coast in 2001? They started passing out cipro like pez until they had so many people turn up allergic to it and then they switched to dox. The fluoroquinolones and tetracyclnes are so commonly in animal feed that huge numbers of people are now allergic to them and don't even suspect that they are.

Antibiotics are so commonly misused that they are now everywhere and even wild meat may not be completely clean. Water has been contamnated with them for a while now.

Last edited by MILES58; 10/10/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles58 - I don't know if what we see is "ignorance" or someone riding a self-serving hobby horse, or just stroking their own ego and wanting to sound important. Most of the time, the outcome is the same.

Thanks for an excellent post.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A good example of how serious just the antibiotic problem is would be my wife.

A few years back she was taking an antibiotic for an infection and the antbiotic was not working. She degenerated into sepsis. When I realized what was going on I rushed her to the ER (two miles away) and by the time I got there she was so far in shock they had to do a cutdown to get a vein to get a line in. While I was squeezing the fluds bag to get them in as fast as possible with a couple broad spectrum antibiotics she damn near died. After two days in the ICU and a day in a ward she was released with the instruction that she turned up allergic to Vancomycin and with a script for another antibiotic.

By the next morning she was in anaphylaxis. Another rush to the ER. Another cutdown to get a line in, another stay in ICU and discharge with another script for a different antibiotic. She had never taken either antibiotic before. Ever. Both had a good run at killing her. Had I been at work (or hesitated) she'd likely have died.

So, we attacked a bacteria with an antibiotic to which it was resistant. The bacteria wet forth an multiplied, greatly and my wife went septic. Rushed into the ER with a woman deeply in shock on death's doorstep and gave her vancomycin to which she was severly allergic and we added anaphylaxis to sepsis. She survived that to be given a second antibiotic which she had also never used before in her life and pushed her back into anaphylaxis.

This is not an isolated incident! I have a doctor friend whose first use of dox sent him into anaphylaxis and he was lucky enough to make it back to his practice and competent help that loaded him up with benadryl right now and got a line into him. We will all see this happen more often in the not so distant future.

The stunts we are pulling to put more food in our mouths more cheaply without carefully determining the consequences of our actions is already killing some of us. Never overlook the whole price of our progress, it might be your turn to pony up next.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The stunts we are pulling to put more food in our mouths more cheaply without carefully determining the consequences of our actions is already killing some of us.

This,

+1

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I live on a small farm. We do not spend much in the grocery stores and usually vote with our dollars and buy organic. We also do our best to stay away from medications. We both are healthier with this lifestyle than when we were young.

We are what we eat.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I live on a small farm. We do not spend much in the grocery stores and usually vote with our dollars and buy organic. We also do our best to stay away from medications. We both are healthier with this lifestyle than when we were young.

We are what we eat.
The roulette wheel hits double green zero again. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks my friend.

Just for your info. We changed our diet slightly to include more carbs in moderation but to omit all gluten. My wife's blood sugar dropped into the normal range in two days. Have not had a morning reading above 99 since.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
keep in mind you are putting this stuff in a living organism.....there are hundreds of things every day that interacts and changes the DNA in our cells causing mutations, hell UVB rays from the sun do this....

in the normal course of plant breeding your playing with mostly the same genes that have been around for millions of years in the species or related species.....with GMO your doing things like taking genes from a starfish and putting them in wheat, something that does not happen in nature and if every thing stays stable alot of times its not a big deal but the very nature of DNA is not perfectly stable, its built to change to enhance an organisms ability to reproduce so now all the sudden that plant which was modified to produce a safe pesticide has tweaked its chemical manufacturing process and now produces a chemical that while similar is not safe for one reason or another....and there is no way for people to control this aspect....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Miles58--thanks for taking the time to educate.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks my friend.

Just for your info. We changed our diet slightly to include more carbs in moderation but to omit all gluten. My wife's blood sugar dropped into the normal range in two days. Have not had a morning reading above 99 since.

We do the same. Unfortunately the damn animals (wild) I eat have a pronounced tendency to feed on stuff like corn and beans and cabbage and alfalfa. The deer mix in with cattle freely and eat in their pastures and sometimes from the same feed bunks and drink from the same tanks/troughs. If the little bastards would just dress a little different from each other so I could tell the uncouth ones from the decent moral ones I'd be happier. They all look the same to me. I do the best I can. I shoot the little ones and pass on the old ones. I can't remember the last time I bought hamburger in a store. I do eat pork and chicken though and we have no wild pigs here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I recall awhile back that some were making derisive comments about "Silent Spring". The stuff Miles refers to about the presence of various pharmaceuticals in our water IS something I know a bit about.

Collectively, we are pissing in our teapot and it's going to bite us on the ass eventually. It isn't a matter of if...

One of the conundrums of the water resource, and the food resources as well, is found in the desire to make it cheap. There is no such thing as cheap here, only a question of who is going to pay for it. You, me, or the grand kids?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by miles58
When science gets mixed into economic value, we rarely come up winners.

This statement is just not true. I'll paraphrase the full equation, but GDP = Technology x Capital. It's technology that allows us to leverage our labor hours and make each one more valuable, and enables us to create more in the same amount of time. Ever since the first anthropithecus used a rock to crack a bone to get out the marrow to eat it, Technology's been a factor in our food supply.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 10/10/13.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 46 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,245
Posts18,504,616
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.