Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
If you had your pick of where you could go for an out of state hunt, where would it be & why?

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm thinking Oklahoma cattle country for me ... that's if I had my choice. I'd bet it would make for some great calling, along with some great views of beautiful countryside.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If I went out of Montana coyote calling I think Id want to head to Saskatchewan. Would love to shoot a pickup load full of those furry dogs up there. To bad I cant since im not a resident.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Laker: My good friend from Fall City, Washington has Hunted Coyotes in Alberta on MANY occassions in the past.
He got enough Coyotes in two trips up there to make a beautiful queen size bed comforter from their pelts.
What I am saying is he brought the pelts back over the border between the US and Canada so I am sure he was legal (at least there in Alberta!)?
Are you saying Saskatchewan prohibits aliens from Hunting Coyotes therein?
I don't know.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by laker
If I went out of Montana coyote calling I think Id want to head to Saskatchewan. Would love to shoot a pickup load full of those furry dogs up there. To bad I cant since im not a resident.

Yeah, and their pale color makes them look that much more awesome too!

IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Nevada is pretty good. Tons of open BLM and a lot of ranchers who will gladly let you trespass and shoot coyotes. You can spotlight at night from the hatch in a camper shell while it's going down the dirt road. No one cares much if you shoot off the rig either, though it probably isn't legal unless you're on private property. For coyotes, they don't even require a hunt license for out of staters. Maybe you need one to transport fur home? Badgers take a license too. Cats are for residents only. Fox too. The north end of the state is hit and miss from year to year. I think there must be a lot of hunters around Winnemucca, Elko, and Ely from what I've seen and been told by the locals. Maybe some disease wipes the canines out occasionally. Hard to tell why the take varies so wildly from one year to the next. Hunting a mix of nights with a spotlight and daylights, we've had a few hunts, like 4 days, and totaled between 21-28 several times. That's OK, three or so apiece each day for two people. 28 is a good number. Then we've been out in the same spots when the shotgun plane has been up the weeks before and totaled 8-10 spooky animals in the same time frame, not so great. Two guys I know just wasted 3 days doing stands in the middle part of the state and shot 2. That blows. Hot in summer and early fall. Freezing by late October. Fur is pretty good late. You don't see a lot of other predator shooters out and about, but they must be there.

Arizona takes a license. God may have created the earth, but she landscaped Arizona. There is a lot of BLM and state trust land in AZ open to hunting. There are plenty of other hunters there too. F&G are nice to hunters in AZ; that's a plus. Coyote fur is generally crappy. A lot of zones there have night seasons on coyotes too, with some firearms restrictions. They are trying to protect the antelope and sheep populations. Hunting with a shotgun during daylight in the saguaro and cholla gardens is a hoot. That's my favorite. Landscape is gorgeous. Now they have a pretty liberal season, cheap tags, and some areas for spotlighting mountain lions. Pretty creepy at night blowing a hand call and swinging a flashlight looking for a lion. Not my thing. Night vision is legal there for now. I think they finally allowed suppressed hunting. I prefer coyotes and sunshine. No restrictions on cats yet. Fur is OK any time of year on those and anything with spots has been bringing $400-800. A couple of those buys a lot of gas. Weather is outstanding in winter; hunt in shirtsleeves in the desert most parts of the year and it's still half tolerable at higher elevations even in winter. The southern end of the state is crawling with border patrol, illegals, drug smugglers, and covered in garbage from the packers. An acquaintance walked back to his truck from a stand and 8 guys were sitting in the bed waiting for their ride to Phoenix. He flushed them with his varmint rifle. He found a human skull a couple of years ago.

No one would ever think of coming here to CA for a hunt vacation. I don't want to start a referendum on CA either. Keep your [bleep] comments to yourself. In the 70s we absorbed every dopey fruit and nut from the other 47 states and if you're not careful, we'll give them back. Firearms laws suck. They ban lead ammo in a lot of places which is more than likely going to be statewide if the Gov signs one of the 14 new firearms bills on his desk that were passed by the legislature. License isn't cheap, but coyotes are all year. Spotlights are OK in designated zones. Night vision is illegal to possess. Garbage and illegal dumping is a big thing here. I hunt regularly from some trash filled [bleep] holes, tons and tons of household garbage, appliances, car tires, mattresses, and couches. I collect pictures of land yachts, boats dumped in the desert. The coyotes don't care. The fur is permanently crappy around here; don't even think about it. But the populations are scary high this season. I was out for a couple of mornings, just a few hours each day, two weeks ago, and dropped 9 in about 5 hours total hunting over those two mornings. I picked up 62 since July 1, but I'm a maniac. This year is strange. There is plenty of state and federal land as well as unposted private property that is very huntable. Anything that isn't posted, planted, or fenced is fair ground here. Cats and foxes have a 4 month season. 5-cat limit on a hunt license and you need tags to boot. They're cheap though. They will probably make hunting the pretty kitties illegal some time soon too. No limit on cats with a trap license. Cats are spottier and fatter here than in AZ. Selling fur requires a trap license, which is more money to the state. Top cat brought $1100 I think. That one was probably box trapped, not shot with a .243. The weather is great. No one can bitch the weather. Plan on 50s in the winter and 90s in the summer. You need to know your [bleep]. City [bleep] typically don't call or shoot squat.

That's my experience after some decades of hunting the stuff I don't have to clean and eat in some these here western states. Honestly, I like the travel and the scenery, but for numbers I just stay around home. I have had a few 10-12 dog days here, but those are not normal; those are epic. I took Gerry Blair out a few years ago and he published an article in the T&PC about the hunt. That spot sucked for a long time afterward. It's getting better. OK, there's your report on [bleep] hole California. Do your thing and I'll send you 60 hippies and libtards to live in your spare bedroom.

Add this: the coyote hunting in CA and AZ has improved considerably since leg hold traps were banned. Just a fact, not a judgment or some screwed up political statement.

Last edited by Gary_in_CA; 10/11/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gary_in_CA
Fur is OK any time of year

Gotta throw the BS flag on this one. 15 yards, still second down.....

oops, missed this.

Keep your [bleep] comments to yourself.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Quote the whole sentence next time before you reach in your pocket for bullshit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quote the whole sentence next time before you reach in your pocket for bullshit.

Originally Posted By: Gary_in_CA
No restrictions on cats yet. Fur is OK any time of year on those and anything with spots has been bringing $400-800.

That better?.....

Maybe you should SHOW US alla those 4-8 hunnerd dollah summer speckled poosies.

Maybe you should re-word that sentence to read something like, 'Nothing like turning a prime $800 dollar Bob into an $80-100 summer fur'.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too would like to see some of those 4-8 hundred dollar summertime Cats.

Hell,,, I'd like to see just one of em.

Maybe you could reach down in "your pocket full of bullshit" and pull one out for us.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would rather kill one with the mange in another state than to hunt in California to kill a 800 dollar one. You can keep your commie bullchit state to yourself .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dammit, bea. he DID ask nice....grin

Keep your [bleep] comments to yourself.
[/quote]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know fur buyers are a shady bunch, but damn I didnt think they were screwing me that bad..Thanks for a heads up smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hollywood must be buying the furs to make their coats

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
L
L
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Laker: My good friend from Fall City, Washington has Hunted Coyotes in Alberta on MANY occassions in the past.
He got enough Coyotes in two trips up there to make a beautiful queen size bed comforter from their pelts.
What I am saying is he brought the pelts back over the border between the US and Canada so I am sure he was legal (at least there in Alberta!)?
Are you saying Saskatchewan prohibits aliens from Hunting Coyotes therein?
I don't know.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Correct. Non-resident (aliens) may not hunt coyotes in SK. A few other comments: In order for a non-resident (alien) to legally hunt coyotes in AB they MUST either hunt with a provincial outfitter OR hunt as a GUEST of a resident AND that host resident MUST be with the non-resident while hunting.
Why on earth would a guy want to leave MT to hunt coyotes anywhere else? The hi-line region of MT has the most beautiful and valuable (pale and heavy silky fur) coyotes anywhere in North America.
For that very reason, going to MT to call coyotes has been on my "bucket list" for.... years.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Someone with Montgomery County Maryland in their address ought not to be coming down too hard on Californicate.

My g8-g8 uncle was Barney Riggs. Google and read about him. He roamed around the southwest, mainly west Tx and Az and NM territory. History credits him with from 9 - 12 men he killed, not counting Mexicans and Indians. Family lore has it at 18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,132
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.