Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AlC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Don't like the Win AA HULLS AT ALL. Grey color is very difficult to find in grass etc and the plastic material cracks very easily.
Which hulls are you using to reload now?

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
To me AA hulls don't last. They start splitting at the crimp very soon. I get 2-3 reloads max, many times, just one.

To me Rem STS green hulls are hard to beat. They will take more crimps than AA's.

DF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by AlC

Win AA. wink

Maybe I'm lucky, but I don't experience the problems that others seem to.

One or two loads before they split?

Not mine.

And it helps that I have a BUNCH, in 28, 20 and 12 ga. cool

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Maybe you got a better batch of AA's.

IIRC, there are more than one series of AA hulls. I'm not sure, but think mine may be the older ones.

Can you add info about that?

DF

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
All my reloads have been with hulls I collected between 1975 and 2000. Sometime after that I heard Winchester came out with another series of AA hull. I have no experience with them. For the older AA labeled and top of the line compression formed hunting loads the same load data is used. Winchester also loaded lesser quality ammo that had paper and/or plastic base wads during that time period.

I tried using other brands of hulls over those years but always went back to the AA/compression formed hulls because of ease of reloading.

I've never counted the number of reloads per hull. At the end of a days shoot, I picked through the empties and tossed any that were worn or split. They didn't seem to wear out any faster than the other brands.

I've purchased a few boxes of the Remington STS ammo when I couldn't find anything else. Haven't tried them for reloads but have heard good things about them.

FWIW- John Olin ran W-W for many years. For what ever reason he did what he could to prevent reloaders from using W-W shotshell hulls. Warnings were printed on each hull, warning of the use of reloaded ammo and that any W-W hulls reloaded must be labeled as such. During the paper hull days he had his people attempt to make the hulls so thin that pin holes would burn through the case on the first firing. He also saw to it that Winchester hulls were not made available as components.

All that aside, I still have a few hundred (old) AA hulls and if I reload, that's what I use.

Last edited by websterparish47; 10/07/13.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Evidently there are different AA's.

It would be nice to have more info on the various versions.

DF

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have no specific data but something has led me to believe the newer hulls are not "compression formed".

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Maybe you got a better batch of AA's.

IIRC, there are more than one series of AA hulls. I'm not sure, but think mine may be the older ones.

Can you add info about that?

DF

Winchester has recently "improved" (in marketing-speak whistle ) their hulls to now be AA HS (as in High Strength). They have HS inside a squared oval on the hulls.

Ironically, it is the older (non-HS) hulls that a lot of guys covet.

I use both (HS in 28 gauge, cause my older regular AA's in 28 ga are finally wearing out).

The older hulls were a true one-piece hull, with straight sides on the inside. The newer HS hulls have a taper inside near the base. If you use the old-style wads in the new style hulls, they don't work too well. You can usually get them crimped (though you should notice a difference right away), but shortly afterwards, the taper forces the base of the wad back up, and your crimps start to bloom open.

As for a "better batch"... I've been loading AAs for ~40 years, so doubt they are all of the same lot number. wink

One of my best shooting buddies swears by the Rem hulls, so it works well when we shoot together. If we happen to be going around the course after somebody who was throwing away brand new (once-fired) hulls, I grab the AA's and he grabs the STS's. Everybody wins! laugh

If I wasn't sitting on thousands of hulls, and cases of wads to fit, I could just as happily shoot Rem hulls. I just got established on this route many years ago, before we had choices, and just haven't seen a reason to change.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never had a problem with AA hulls. At least 5 loadings.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Like others, I'm getting around 4 loadings with new HS hulls. I mostly load slugs though. However, I'm geting 5-7 in the sts hulls, but these have all been 1oz target loads.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I heard Win did change the AA shells, to bad, the old one's, red, were tied for my favorite shell. Can't get Blue Magic anymore either but if I still had a 12 ga and found a bunch of them, I'd get every one. In my 16 ga I just use Rem Game load shell's. They are a one piece compression formed shell that have worked well for me for a long time. Started using my 28 ga several years ago and all I use in it are Rem STS hulls. Get them by buying a flat of target loads. Use them dog training and quail hunting. Reload the shell with #7 1/2 shot. They don't seem to do as well as the black 16 ga shells, crimps go bad to soon. But still get several loading from them. Crimp getting bad, I load one more time then throw them away. Just seal the crimp with a bit of melted wax.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
For 25 years I loaded WW AA 20 gauge hulls with WW 571 powder and WW yellow 1 oz. wads for small game. After running out I go the shop to buy more and find out that Winchester has discontinued both 571 and the yellow 1 oz. wad. Not only that but they had changed the hull too. Now the hull is more like a Cheddite. Sheesh, I had to start over with everything.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 10/11/13.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rem STS or Win AA would be my first pick. However, don't discount the Remington economy Gun Club shell. I think they are the same shell that DonFisher mentioned as the Game load offering.

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
K
The Remmington Gun Club Hull very good they should load 6 to 8 times.
The New WW Hulls are called Hs Hulls. Thay have less internal hull space. Needs a dif load then the older comp hulls.But should
load 6 to 8 times. I load Fed Top Guns, Rio,Fiocci, One time an done. There is good loads for every hull. What ever you can get
you can load it....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I saw this topic the other day and wished I still had AA Red hulls. Well I was digging out some 410 shells and what did I find, two big bags of Red AA 28ga hulls. Probably close to 300 in them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AlC
Don't like the Win AA HULLS AT ALL. Grey color is very difficult to find in grass etc and the plastic material cracks very easily.

Remington STS (Green and nitro 27) if you don't like AA. I've loaded thousands of both with good results..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
20ga I like Gun clubs. 12ga 2 3/4" hunting loads, Remington yellow base. 12ga 3" Remington Yellow base. 10ga Remington yellow base. Federal Gold metal Is hard to beat if you can find enough. Old style win AA is good. I use what I can get in good numbers. Top gun's get a lot of loads.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Remington's are my favorite. Their Gun Clubs last the longest followed by Sport Loads and the similar looking black hulls. Nitro's and STS's are a close second as they develop holes/"crimp splits" and get "crispier" sooner. No press adjustments needed for any including the older Blue Magic, RXP, etc... . These are all compression formed 1 piece hulls. No separate base wad to unknowingly become lodged in a auto's barrel.

The newer Federal "ribbed" Gold Medals are next on my list. Again, 1 piece plastic hulls. No internal taper so plenty of room in these. The older "smooth" hulls tended to separate above the head after a few firings. They are pain to remove and a real problem if not noticed. Also, the older purplish, ribbed Gold Medals are inferior to the new ones. They split at the crimps much quicker. Top Guns require a little adjustment but are fine for 1 and done loading. I've seen the paper base wad come out as a flaming spiral more than once from guys pushing them further.

Older Winchester Compression formed hulls are great hulls. As I understand it they stopped making them around 2000 and began the HS hulls. The data for both is the same although the HS hulls have less internal volume creating fit issues. The HS hull is 2 piece. The base wad is separate. This causes concern for those who shoot auto's in that the base wad could separate and become lodged in the barrel. Break open shooters can easily look down their barrels for obstructions. I have heard that the early HS variants had issues with the base wad separating. Winchester addressed this by improving the lock between the base wad and the head. The early ones are identifiable by the printed box around the AA on each hull. Improved ones just have a line under the AA. The printing on the "boxed" ones is very similar to the old compression hulls and can be confusing. Once you have inspected a few the differences in the plastic are readily apparent.

The new HS hulls don't last like the older Compression ones. They get holes at the crimp folds quicker and the body splits vertically more often. That being said, I like them and will use them for up to 6 or so firings.

Back to the internal volume of the HS hulls. Downrange make a series of wads called DRA that address this issue. They are fantastic. For fit problems you can also step up a size a gain needed room. Example; 1 1/8 wad for 1 ounce load. Not a problem with all powders, but some "fluffier" ones cause tented crimps shortly after loading.

Some report success using the euro hulls. I have no experience with these (ie Rio, Fiocchi, Nobel, etc... .)

I'm by no means an shot shell loading expert. The above is simply my experience and understanding to date. More experienced members might certainly have more to add.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ring 3, I appreciate that tip on the new Vs old AA two piece hull.

Last edited by keith; 10/26/13.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ring3
Remington's are my favorite. Their Gun Clubs last the longest followed by Sport Loads and the similar looking black hulls. Nitro's and STS's are a close second as they develop holes/"crimp splits" and get "crispier" sooner. No press adjustments needed for any including the older Blue Magic, RXP, etc... . These are all compression formed 1 piece hulls. No separate base wad to unknowingly become lodged in a auto's barrel.

The newer Federal "ribbed" Gold Medals are next on my list. Again, 1 piece plastic hulls. No internal taper so plenty of room in these. The older "smooth" hulls tended to separate above the head after a few firings. They are pain to remove and a real problem if not noticed. Also, the older purplish, ribbed Gold Medals are inferior to the new ones. They split at the crimps much quicker. Top Guns require a little adjustment but are fine for 1 and done loading. I've seen the paper base wad come out as a flaming spiral more than once from guys pushing them further.

Older Winchester Compression formed hulls are great hulls. As I understand it they stopped making them around 2000 and began the HS hulls. The data for both is the same although the HS hulls have less internal volume creating fit issues. The HS hull is 2 piece. The base wad is separate. This causes concern for those who shoot auto's in that the base wad could separate and become lodged in the barrel. Break open shooters can easily look down their barrels for obstructions. I have heard that the early HS variants had issues with the base wad separating. Winchester addressed this by improving the lock between the base wad and the head. The early ones are identifiable by the printed box around the AA on each hull. Improved ones just have a line under the AA. The printing on the "boxed" ones is very similar to the old compression hulls and can be confusing. Once you have inspected a few the differences in the plastic are readily apparent.

The new HS hulls don't last like the older Compression ones. They get holes at the crimp folds quicker and the body splits vertically more often. That being said, I like them and will use them for up to 6 or so firings.

Back to the internal volume of the HS hulls. Downrange make a series of wads called DRA that address this issue. They are fantastic. For fit problems you can also step up a size a gain needed room. Example; 1 1/8 wad for 1 ounce load. Not a problem with all powders, but some "fluffier" ones cause tented crimps shortly after loading.

Some report success using the euro hulls. I have no experience with these (ie Rio, Fiocchi, Nobel, etc... .)

I'm by no means an shot shell loading expert. The above is simply my experience and understanding to date. More experienced members might certainly have more to add.

ring3 is correct. I've seen a gun blow supposedly because of the change to the AA hulls. Some guys at the club stopped using the gray AA hulls and went back to using the older red AA hulls. I don't shoot competitively anymore and haven't loaded for shotshells for about 5 years now so my experience comes from the older stuff I used to load. Like I said in an earlier post, my favorites were always STS/Nitro27's and AA hulls. I've loaded the remington blue magics, cheap gunclub's (make sure they have the brass and not steel base), and federal gold medals (paper and plastic). I always used the sts and nitro's for my "long bomb", "run what you brung" money shoots. Sounds like ring3 has been there and done it as well..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 204guy, 66 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,813
Posts18,477,617
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.