-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
hey guys i have a model 700 remington , made in 2002 , it was a new gun i just bought a month ago that the guy bought new back in 2002 and has had it in his closet . the gun shoots fantastic but i cant get it to eject the shells . it pulls them out and just as they start to move to the left they fall right on the magazine follower . ive tried opening the bolt fast , slow and it always just drops them . i knocked the pin out of the bolt and cleaned the ejection plunger , spring , and port with zero results . so today i went and bought another spring for the plunger so i could cut it a coil at a time . i was told maybe the spring was too stiff and the plunger may kick the shell off early before the shell ejects , so i monkied around with that tonight and started cutting coils off . it fixed nothing , lol . so i put it all back together the way it came and put it in the safe . any ideas ?

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
another question i forgot , should the extractor be sitting in the 9 o clock position if your looking at the front of the bolt face and the ejection plunger in the 5 o clock position ? it looks like the extractor on my bolt is in about the 7 or 8 oclock position , kind of in between the 7 or 8 o clock position , wouldnt that make the case want to shoot straight up?

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
What cartridge, I believe the exact position is dependent on the case. Most of my standard calibers, the lip is ~5:30 almoost lined up with the bottom lug. I think, the .221 FB is at least different.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If the gun has been modified from its original to a fire ball based cartridge (17FB, 20 Vartarg, or 221FB) you likely will need to have a Sako extractor installed. That was the case for me.
If its not a fireball issue, I am clueless.
Good luck.

NRA Patron
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
its a 7mm saum. sorry i should have stated that .

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
just for giggles i took a plunger out of my buddies 300wsm model 700 bolt and the spring just to see if there was any difference , it did the exact same thing in my bolt assembly . it pulls the brass out to where its just about to flip out and it just drops it right at the last minute . so then i put my plunger and spring in his gun and it throws the cases 3 feet out of the gun , lol . frustrating . so i think my ejector plunger and spring are fine . its got to be something with the extractor being weak or bad and not holding it good enough i guess . i mean what else could it be ?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sounds to me like the extractor needs to be worked on. Take it to your local smith for repair..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Extractor sits a little low, and doesn't grasp enough of the rim.

I've bent them out a hair to remedy that. They aren't spring steel, so they bend fairly easy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Redneck
Sounds to me like the extractor needs to be worked on. Take it to your local smith for repair..

What Redneck said...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd leave it alone, you won't have to chase your brass.....
Should be an easy cheap fix

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmshawn
hey guys i have a model 700 remington , made in 2002 , it was a new gun i just bought a month ago that the guy bought new back in 2002 and has had it in his closet . the gun shoots fantastic but i cant get it to eject the shells . it pulls them out and just as they start to move to the left they fall right on the magazine follower . ive tried opening the bolt fast , slow and it always just drops them . i knocked the pin out of the bolt and cleaned the ejection plunger , spring , and port with zero results . so today i went and bought another spring for the plunger so i could cut it a coil at a time . i was told maybe the spring was too stiff and the plunger may kick the shell off early before the shell ejects , so i monkied around with that tonight and started cutting coils off . it fixed nothing , lol . so i put it all back together the way it came and put it in the safe . any ideas ?

This should help. I think your problem is covered here.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-562%20Rem.pdf

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My 270WSM did the same thing. I kept playing with it and found the rim was catching on the extractor cut out. I rounded off the sharp edge with a dremel and polished. It works like a champ now.

I could make a case stick and stay with the bolt out of the rifle, which is how I caught the issue. With the bolt in the rifle, it would fall off on the follower as mentioned.

May be something to check.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
ok i figured i would update , this rifle has been to 3 different gunsmiths now . after 4 different extractors , 3 ejectors , and springs , this thing still isnt fixed . it wont even grab enough of the rim to pull it out of the chamber now and thats with an oversized, thicker extractor that remington send me this last time . so tonight i pulled my scope off , took my trigger out and put the factory back in and shes boxed up ready to go to new york . so they can deal with the headache . i think the bolt is out of spec where the extractor sits to be honest . oh well , maybe ill get it back right .

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
If it comes back un-functional, we will fix it.....send it back, and if you are happy pay the enclosed invoice. The bolt nose is out of tolerance and to keep that bolt, a mini 16 extractor will fix it. Another option is a PT&G bolt. Has the 16 extractor and a well made piece. Only problem with a new bolt means headspace issues. Food for thought

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (1_deuce, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 24 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.