Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a new Gamo Big Cat in .22 cal. It came with a 4 power Gamo scope. I suspect the scope may be my problem but wanted to ask for some opinions from those with more air gun experience. I mounted the scope carefully and tight. I went to sight it in and there is where my problem started. The best I can get is about a 5 or 6 inch group at 50 feet. I have used a good rest and that's about the best I can get. I'm a good shot. I can shoot my .22 into a dime sized group or better at that range. I find it hard to believe that its really that bad. There are no open sights to cross check with so is the scope really that poor right out of the box or do I have other problems?

GB1

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
The problem could also be the pellets you're using. Not all pellets shoot the same in all guns. First off, have you run a clean patch through the barrel first? Stock guns out of the box needs a good cleaning. I would try several pellets at close range first just to see how it groups. (take off the scope, open sight it) Once you find a pellet right for your gun, then try to rezero. If for whatever reason you still can't get it to hit check stock screws, (should have done this first actually) mount slippage on action and in rings. (the Big Cat has a lot of recoil) If still no go, switch out the different scopes and try again. A word of caution, most, if not all "package deals" from the manufacturer are always good ones. Speaking from experience, I went through the same thing back in the day. Combo deal, great! No, not really. The scopes they put in with the guns can't handle the recoil of the gun. They make it look like it's all you need , no, it's not. The mounts slip on the action, or in the rings , and most of the time both. Also the gun being pellet fussy isn't a isolated problem, all airguns have this problem, you just have to figure out which pellet shoots the best out of yours. Good luck!

S.W.A.G. it
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
what kind of rest?

Most springers don't shoot well off of a rest, and can be very sensitive to the way they are rested /held.

Try offhanded, sitting or other hand held position and don't hold the gun tightly.

Not sure if that is the problem, but just throwing that out there to try

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would try several things, use the so-called "Artillery hold", different pellets, preferably the heavier grained for the springer. Research the mounts and scope you are using, are other people having problems with them? Perhaps different mounts, or scope? Check to make sure the mount screws are not loose, clean the barrel, etc.

My RWS 34 springer is not as accurate as my multi-pump Crosman 2100 and Daisy 901, they don't have that bouncing around of the spring to deal with, even though my RWS is far more expensive, I allow for it to be less accurate once I get past 50'. My RWS springer works better for me at the long distance shots like 50 yards though.

One of the reasons I never bought a Gamo is they are known for having poor triggers and customer service, I have always gone German made for my springers as the other imports I have tried were disappointing. Most of the Gamo pellets I have used were not very good either, I only use German, Czech, or some American made pellets (Crosman) in all my pellet guns now.

Pyramid Air has some videos on You Tube where they had to find the right "Sweet spot" of where to hold/rest their springers, you might want to see some of those videos and experiment. I should shoot my RWS 34 with the artillery hold, but most of the time I just bench shoot it like my other guns, less accurate, but old habits die hard.

Last edited by HE112; 10/20/13.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Most of my spring guns shoot well with a standard benchrest. The problem for me it that the point of impact can vary by a couple inches at 25 yards with the rifle resting on the bags vs. offhand or the "artillery" hold.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the input guys. Ill try it all. We will see what happens.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It also takes the first tin or two of pellets for the gun to settle down and shoot half decent. None of mine shot well till in the 1000+ range.

A
A
Yup..breaking in a pellet gun take a bunch of shoots.Best thing for many airguns is a professional tune job.Its a whole different experience shooting a tune air rifle.Also stick w/ jsb exact pellets.Quality lead makes a difference.If you need contact info of one of the best airgun tuners in the country get a hold of me.His prices are reasonable but his work is consider the best in the country.

Last edited by actionjackson1; 11/01/13.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Update. Its getting a little better. Still only have about 250-300 shots thru it but that seems to be helping.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
looks like your on the right track.

I have a hunter 440 for about 15 years and couple thousand shots, and it has really smoothed out over the years.

You can do a custom tune, but the most fun way to get to the same place is just shoot the heck out of it, it should get smoother and easier to shoot accurately.

I saw a big difference by 2000 shots. And I recently detuned mine to 625-630 fps with JSB exacts and put a GRT-III trigger in it and it really feels good now

Not a Weihrauch but for the money a good rifle.

(I could be wrong I think the Big cat is one of the newer Gamos still closely related mechanically with the 440-220 series)

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
IC B3

A
A
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Update. Its getting a little better. Still only have about 250-300 shots thru it but that seems to be helping.
Yeah it can take up to 1000 pellets to really see what your rifle will be like.Also the scope that gamos come with don't help.Replace it someday.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go here, and order a "sample pack" of pellets.

I've used some that grouped 12", and others less than 1", from the same rifle

http://www.pyramydair.com

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.