Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I have to wonder how you knew about that web site?

You into thimbles?

Haha, for some reason that bullet reminded me of 1, so I googled "thimbles" and that was the first picture to pop up.

11b b4.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hopefully, next year I can say I killed an elk with a thimble. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
How would that compare to a Barnes though?

11b b4.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It can beat up a Barnes. Those copper dudes have no balls.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Does it require high velocity and an abnormally fast twist?

Last edited by Jcub; 10/22/13.

11b b4.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jcub
Does it require high velocity and an abnormally fast twist?

You'll have to ask Jayco on that.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by logcutter
....Remember back in the old days when all the successful hunters dug through there dead animals looking for the bullet to show off as the ultimate killer and performer?

Jayco laugh

I think this is a pretty insightful observation, Jayco. And it highlights a point I've been trying to make on these bullet threads. Marketing has convinced us that the bullet is the trophy, or at least part of it. When I was younger, the photos from hunts were of hunters and animals. Found bullets were curiosities, and trinkets to be saved as good luck charms for some. Now folks post pics of bullets as trophies, and many think what the bullet looks like determines whether it was effective. Propaganda.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
50 cal 460 gr of pure lead is what i'm using.

[Linked Image]

Too bad I can't get these to stabilize in my '06. They look like a bigger hammer.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I had a .358 Shooting Times Alaskan for a while with a 1-12 twist, a barrel rebored by Classic Barrel and Gunworks. It shot every bullet I tried, including the 280-grain Swift A-Frame and whatever the heaviest Woodleigh weighs. But damn, there was no .35 caliber TSX back then, so it wouldn't kill anything.

JB that thing is a BIG GUN! But yes a 12 twist 35 seems to shoot everything well. wink

Jayco yes it was a wildcat....I could have gone 358 Norma, but had the magnum action so figured I might as well fill 'er up and use the full length case. wink

It was based on the 8 mag but I formed brass out of 375 H&H stuff.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's what I did too, and after trying a bunch of different bullets and loads, decided it was pretty much a .375 H&H--but without without the advantage of almost universally available factory ammo and brass. So it went down the road.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
....Remember back in the old days when all the successful hunters dug through there dead animals looking for the bullet to show off as the ultimate killer and performer?

Jayco laugh

I think this is a pretty insightful observation, Jayco. And it highlights a point I've been trying to make on these bullet threads. Marketing has convinced us that the bullet is the trophy, or at least part of it. When I was younger, the photos from hunts were of hunters and animals. Found bullets were curiosities, and trinkets to be saved as good luck charms for some. Now folks post pics of bullets as trophies, and many think what the bullet looks like determines whether it was effective. Propaganda.

Plenty of old timers were interested in bullet performance, otherwise you wouldn't have the bullets of today.

You just may not have heard about it, pre-internet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That's what I did too, and after trying a bunch of different bullets and loads, decided it was pretty much a .375 H&H--

Yes they are pretty close...I rebarreled mine to 375H&H smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The main thing I don't see on the net is Partition failures/Core-Lokt etc etc just chatter about Barnes and Bergers over and over again and again.....Why is that?

Jayco

Because Partitions and CL's are boring wink Although I have seen pictures of failures of both bullets. No bullet is immune to failing now and again- not Barnes, Bergers, CL's, or even Noslers.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There is always reassurance in a dead animal;but if a guy does not track what a bullet did,and try to glean something from what it looks like on recovery,(which is an indication of its capabilities,not a curio to hang around your neck....)he won't gain any insight into what it will do for him the next time....or the next....or the time after that.

(Here's a clue....if you depend on marketing hype to choose your bullet for BG hunting, you are a dope....you should cock a skeptical eyebrow at every claim made by a bullet manufacturer until it's proven in the field.)

Not all hunters of 50-75 years ago drooled in front of a camera,indifferent to what bullets did....if they had you would not have the bullets you have today.The notion is laughable.

It isn't marketing to try to understand bullet behavior in animals....it's a natural curiosity that all hunter/riflemen of much experience display, because they know the bullet is the most important thing in the whole killing equation.Not the rifle(just a launch platform),or the fluted tube, or the color of the paint job,etc... wink

So that after awhile he can gain confidence in it,and pretty much "knows" the results even before he reaches the carcass.

And if he does enough of this stuff with a wide range of bullets he will eventually figure out that all bullets are NOT the same,and he can make an intelligent choice about what to use.

Jordan is right. wink ..Partitions are boring....the BC's are old hat,and they are too terminally reliable...results are annoyingly consistent...to some this is a "bad" thing LOL! These folks flit like butterflies from one bullet to another, looking for something "better" but are unlikely to find it for killing BG animals from the muzzle out to 500-600 yards.

Seems to me the Barnes are a notch "up" in toughness and not the same bullet that came out 20 years ago as they have been in a process of evolution.Seems they thrive at impact velocities that will turn other bullets to rubble...this is tough for some to grasp and I'm not sure why. confused

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Seems to me,the internet has made hunting way to complicated.The differences in opinions can never be satisfied or it too would be boring to some.

Personally,I don't care what a bullet looks like as long as it did its job,killing the game..I don't care if it explodes or penetrates the animal and three tree's behind it.

Some want to experiment and others are content with what they have seen, based on several examples over a lot of years.I sure don't see how Barnes are a notch up over a Nosler...I have tested/used both on game.I have seen the Barnes blow all its petals off leaving only the shank and I also have seen the nosler loose it all, except the shank..Neither disintegrated as some cup and cores have.

A step up,I don't think so.....

Jayco

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Love to see one of those Barnes with all the petals blown off. What was the fps?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Love to see one of those Barnes with all the petals blown off. What was the fps?

You ask and shall receive..Click the link to right here.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...27731/all/270_Grain_TSX_still_needs_work

Jayco

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Plenty of old timers were interested in bullet performance, otherwise you wouldn't have the bullets of today.

You just may not have heard about it, pre-internet.

Exactly.

Curiosity has extended to all sorts of things prior to the internet (gasp!).

In the 60's/early 70's I had my grandpa under strict orders to save all projectiles he pulled out of critters in the fall at his butcher house. I had a nice tin full of em!

The study of spent projectiles has always been a fascination to me.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
....I have tested/used both on game.I have seen the Barnes blow all its petals off leaving only the shank and I also have seen the nosler loose it all....

Jayco, I think that's what the partition was designed to do. And your post above implies that you personally have shot Barnes bullets into game and seen the petals "blow off" but that's really not the case, is it?

To be clear, I'm not a big fan of Barnes bullets myself, just interested in the facts.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That Barnes was a big load. Not a big deal though. The front of the Partition is designed to come off too if push hard enough.

I'll stay with big hunks of lead. Easier to chew than copper.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 44 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,262
Posts18,504,854
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.