Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In your opinion, are there any handguns that are absolutely perfect right out of the box? I mean NO modifications needed whatsoever???

For me: S&W's 4" 617 K-22 revolver. While most gun snobs turn their noses at the presence of MIM internals, I say it's exactly those MIM internals that make this fun absolutely perfect right out of the box. The MIM parts are so precise that the action of my 617 is as smooth as any pre-war S&W just the way it sits. I mean, I'm a gunsmith so an action job costs me absolutely nothing, and yet in 10 years of ownership I have NEVER so much as taken the side plate off of the gun. Springs are a bit stiff but that's because it's a rimfire. Yes I could lighten that up some but it really doesn't bother me at all. I think of it as a training aid for "mere mortal" revolvers. If EVERY DA revolver I owIned feels like a Python, I may not shoot a borrowed gun too well. But heavy springs and all, I have won several matches shooting DA against people with match tuned Rugers, and even against a guy with a Pardini (shame on him)

The Hogue rubber grips contrast nicely with the stainless finish, and are comfortable. The finger grooves are a touch small for my mitts, but they still work out quite well, so I've never felt a need to replace them.

The only criticism I can lodge is the accuracy, which is good, but not great. It won't hold up to the old K-22's, and a Ruger Standard at just under half the price will almost halve the groups. Now that's not because my 617 is so inaccurate, but because even the lowly Ruger Standard will pull 3/4" groups at 25 yards if you do your job. Really quite remarkable when you think about it. The best my 617 will do is 1.40 at 25 yards with premium target ammo. But it will do 1.56" with CCI mini mags, so handgun hunting squirrels is very doable. In fact the worst group it has ever produced is still well under 2".

Now you sentimental sorts would be quick to say they just don't make them like they used to, but wait. The legendary reputation of the K-22 came from match bullseye shooting...and truth be told most match shooters would shoot only from the most accurate chamber, using the six gun as a single shot. Still the old guns were more accurate, but not because they were made better but because they only had to align 6 chambers, where the new 617 has to alIgn ten. To do that you do lose a very small bit of accuracy, but gain 40% more ammo capacity and easily 200% more fun if you're a DA shooter.

So there you are, the model 617 by Smith & Wesson. A truely perfect handgun, right out of the box.

So what's your idea of a perfect handgun right out of the box. Remarkably, I can think of several others. That means times are very good for handgunners.

Last edited by KevinGibson; 10/11/13.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hence the "Colt Camp Perry"

Glad you like your gun!! I would too!!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As a combat gun the Glock comes SO close...but those horrendous plastic sights ruin it. And the M&P is just as close as the Glock...but then there's that silly trigger with the hinging lower half that's supposed to be some sort of "safety" device...they're joking right?

The Ruger Mk III's and Browning Buckmarks can give a couple lifetimes of outstanding service with absolutely no modification. Accuracy is superb, triggers aren't perfect but more than serviceable, and they're very reliable. What's more, depending on which model you buy, they can each be very handsome pieces to boot.

Many Sig's are nearly ideal in out of the box condition if you are okay with the traditional semi-auto DA trigger action. If it fits your hand, the CZ-75 is perfectly adequate right out of the box, and so is the Beretta M9 (rather large, but quite serviceable)

There are many 1911's out there that can be "perfect" right out of the box.

Unfortunately my favorite auto pistol, the Browning Hi-Power doesn't make the list because of the safety lever. If you do a proper hold with thumb resting on the safety, the rear section of that oh-so-poorly thought out "ambi" will punish you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That "Perfect" 1911 would be called a Les Baer. I'm sure many here that own one would agree. cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/12/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
People do mods mainly because they "want" to, not because they have to. With the exception of having to adjust the sights, I've never had to modify a gun I'd purchased to get it to be reliable or accurate. I've only done so to personalize it.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Les Baer 1911

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A few.

The Smith M25-2

[Linked Image]

The Smith P&R'd M629

[Linked Image]

And the second handgun I bought when I was 17, a M63.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I would say Glock and HK's. I haven't owned a 1911 yet but one is on the list, so I can't comment.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Any Colt Custom Shop piece. Keep it "in the box". The hell with Wall street,gold,silver.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What grips are on the Model 63? I have a couple of 4" j frames that could stand that treatment...

Regards,

Tom
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My suggestion would be the Ruger SBH Hunter model. It comes with two grip styles, one of which will fit almost any hand. And it is perfectly suited for the task it was built and named for.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ruger Single-Six (convertible) 22 LR / 22 WMR.

I had a Colt Officers Model Match 22 LR
which was more technically perfect and accurate -
but the little Ruger SA is more perfect fun.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I agree to with Kevin about Glocks. The stock sights suck. However, with the factory night sights I think they qualify as perfect for duty carry without modification.

By the way, nice to see you on the board again Kevin. It has been slow in the handgun forums lately.

-Z

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
tominboise-

I was think'n the same thing. nice grips!

I love my 63's. Counting working on farm, fish'n, I probably have carried them more than anything.

Until the Hogs Came!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife's S&W Model 34-1 right out of the box has always worked.

Any top-of-the-line 1911 usually works right out of the box. If I can get my Wilson Custom I'm sure that'll work right out of the box as they use all machined steel parts, no MIM in a Wilson any more.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'd have to have a big box.

I can't live with less than I have.

Too many different uses for them. Like you need a tool box, not a single adjustable wrench.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Ruger MK2 Gvt. bull barrel. Most accurate out of the box handgun I owned. Test target was an indication of how accurate it was. Never touched the sights either.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
My SW 625 was perfect out of the box, have not changed a thing. My most recent glock is a gen 4 22 and it was close but would still swap out for a ghost rocket and sights.

I agree the Les Baer would be perfect out of the box and for the price I would expect that.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Only two at the house that I have not felt the need to change anything. A High Standard Supermatic Citation, perfect as it came from the box. Did not even need the adjustable trigger adjusted. In 30 years all I have done is shot it. Last year I did replace the recoil spring, as it is considered maintenance. Second is the wife's S&W Model 60, She loves it just as it came. Perhaps the DA could be lightened a bit with a spring kit, but it is not bad at all as it came. Other J frames I have had were not as good.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by tominboise
What grips are on the Model 63? I have a couple of 4" j frames that could stand that treatment...

I have no idea. A cheap gunshow junk box find and they are darn nice in the hand.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.