Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I want a stainless 7mm-08 for hunting blacktail deer in the rugged mountains where I hunt.
I'm real tough on rifles and watched my blued Vanguard .257 wby rot in front of my eyes during a torrential downpour while caught on a mountain a few weeks back.

The two rifles I've been eyeballing of late are the Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather Stainless.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535110#center

The other is the Remington 700 Mountain SS

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-mountain-ss.aspx

My son has shot a 7-08 for a number of years now and I've borrowed it to kill a few bucks myself and am really smitten with the little gun.

Though I've hunted all of my life, I humbly admit that I'm no rifle expert and know that many of you guys here are a treasure trove of knowledge.
Not wanting to start a Ford/Chevy type of argument, just hoping for a few opinions that might steer me one way or the other.

Thanks-

Proud NRA Life Member
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Extreme weathers are pretty sweet I would choose it over the Remington... O yeah and I like chevy! grin

Save Some Elk, Shoot A Wolf...........
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I don't know how you can go wrong with the Model 70. I believe they are making a great rifle right now. I have a fairly new Featherweight and it everything that I wanted it to be.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Extreme Weather.

It will balance MUCH better than the Mountain Rifle, which will be really barrel light.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 10/12/13. Reason: added reasoning
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Few Montana 7mm-08's floating around there at this time

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had an EW in 308. Was a really nice rifle. I liked the blueprint and it fit me well.
If I were looking for a 7-08, I would do the EW.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
man I am looking at the same option except.considering a featherweight also. I have owned a couple of mountain rifle which I have always liked but shooting sub moa has had issues with some and thats why I am considering a model 70

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
M700 out of those two. i'd take a Kimber or M7/Edge over either though.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EW. But rather a Sako. Thought about a Tikka T3?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Neither. Stiller Predator action, Timney nickeled trigger, Mickey Edge stock, pick a custom barrel. Buy once, cry once, or you can [bleep] around and buy and trade one [bleep] factory rifle after another and then realize you could've done it right the first time for the same money you've blown.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kimber montana.

Or a Rem 700

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don'tcha just love it when you ask an A OR B question and someone answers with C? I answered the exact same question with a Montana.
pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had M700 Mtn Rifles, and have an M70 EW (308)... no comparison, I'd go with the 70.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of those two I'd likely take the M70.

How about a SS Howaguard in a decent stock?

Montana would be great as well.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Of the two, I'd grab the EW Model 70.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been looking at the same two rifles in 7mm-08! But not for blacktail, just as a spare/back-up, or rangetoy/practice rifle with higher mag scope, etc. Maybe something for "flat-land" hunting and not coast or dry canyons.

70 vs 700... I like the safety and CRF of the Win. But, the B&C on the EW seems blocky. Chunky? Thick? The EW I fondled felt like a 2x4, but it was a LA if that makes a diff. Have not laid hands on a 700 Mtn yet but it looks a little more trim in the pics, at least in the wrist. I don't care for the extractor or non-locking bolt on the 700, but most dudes don't seem to care.

I'm leaning towards the 70 Ult Shadow SS and getting a new stock from McM. Cost shouldn't be too much more, but no flutes. B&C just seems like a stop gap measure.

My blacktail rifle is a Kimber Montana 7-08. Actually its my everything rifle this year. Just spent the day in the coast mountains deer hunting. I love hunting blacktail in the coastrange and can't think of a better rifle than the 84M Monatana for hunting blacktail. Mine has a 6x42 with LRD and M1 for those clearcuts and hunts on the eastside of the mountains.

The 84M is a pleasure to carry in those rugged mountains. Before the Kimber, I was using a Tikka Super Light. That rifle felt light everywhere EXCEPT the coastal range. There, it felt heavy. I can honestly say the Montana is a joy to carry even compared to the SL. I spent the day hunting high mountain ridges where there are no roads and no other hunters. Normally I "hate" any rifle or handgun after a few steep ascents, or crawling up some gawd awful hillside with booby-traps in the ferns, etc. The Kimber is in a different league. I may use a different rifle for Eastern Oregon or "flatland" but I don't ever see using something else for coastal blacktail unless it handles better than the Montana. I sure as hell don't want heavier and clunky.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Of the two, I'd grab the EW Model 70.

Yep

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I would also chose the Mod 70 here but I would immediately replace that thick chunky B&C POS factory stock, I would also bet the model 70 will be the more accurate rifle here, the few new Mod 700 Mountain SS rifles I've been around weren't very good shooters, the thin whippy pencil barrels just aren't that accurate............Good luck............Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I would also chose the Mod 70 here but I would immediately replace that thick chunky B&C POS factory stock, I would also bet the model 70 will be the more accurate rifle here, the few new Mod 700 Mountain SS rifles I've been around weren't very good shooters, the thin whippy pencil barrels just aren't that accurate............Good luck............Hb

That's the problem, for a light weight you've got to replace the stock on both of the models in question. So you're spending 900+ and still getting a heavy stock. Or search wide and far and find a Remington Mountain Guide 7mm-08, but those are getting pretty rare. I've got one, but won't be parting with it.

Forbes short actions might be shipping soon, might be something worth considering?

Life is just one damned thing after another
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I prefer the EW, have one in 308 in an Edge stock. Most people eventually replace the stock. If you think you'll do that then consider the Ultimate Shadow in SS. It will be essentially the same rifle without the barrel fluting and in a cheaper stock. It will be several hundred cheaper and you can put the savings toward an Edge stock.

The Kimber is an option, but might be too light. Mine is right at 6 lbs scoped, the EW in the Edge stock 7.5. Those weights are scoped. I like and shoot both well, but the EW goes hunting more.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 54 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.