Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8153703 10/13/13
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a mountain rifle laminated stock that im gonna use for my 358, but I hate the supercell pad thats on it. I like the Pachmayr Decelerators but was wondering what other pads might be worth looking at?

I was actually looking at Pachmayrs F325, kinda reminds me of some older rifles. But not sure it would look right on a laminated stock, and how it would handle recoil. Any thoughts?

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I'm with you on Pachmayr's Decelerator pad, after putting one on a heavy loaded Marlin 45/70.
For range work I started using a Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad and they seam to take care of any sting, but I don't know how that soft spungy rubber would hold up on a rifle full time.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I change all my supercells pad over to the Pachmayrs 500 pads. Don't like the sticky feel of the supercells, and dont like what Savage uses on the rifles either but if needed a soft recoil pad i would use the decellator pad in place of them. The 325 is a nice pad but don't like the open cells on the pad. I use a lot of the 500 pads. Most gun makers are catering to the sensitive needs of recoil shy shooters. I would go with a muzzle brake in place of a soft pad.

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I dont believe ill need a muzzle break on this one. Probably wont use it this year, but when I do I wanna load it just above 35 Rem speeds and use the 200 gr RN core lokts I have laying here.

Unless someone says the 325 isnt a good pad, ill probably go with it. Then again, the only pads ive used are factory or decelerators. So I was wondering if theres other good ones out there. Thanks.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have one of these on the way. First try. Fairly light in weight,

http://www.kebcollc.com/cart/store.php?crn=208&rn=676&action=show_detail

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Limbsaver pads. Works great on my 7RM. Recoil is like a .270 ....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The SuperCell works just fine. It does not look good like a Decelerator though.

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I guess its a subjective thing. I find it feels more like plastic, and somewhat hard. It had to go.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I recently put a Limbsaver on a laminate stock 416Taylor, perfect for my needs.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've used both in the grindables. I do prefer the look and feel of the Pach. Some of my older Limbsavers have the dissolving disease, but still work.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard that the older Limbsavers had the"dissolving disease" but in most cases it was attributed to coming in contact with certain types of carpeting... a chemical reaction... who knows ... don't know if the newer ones are any different.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mailmanmark
I've heard that the older Limbsavers had the"dissolving disease" but in most cases it was attributed to coming in contact with certain types of carpeting... a chemical reaction... who knows ... don't know if the newer ones are any different.

Send Limbsaver a defective pad and they will mail you a replacement free of charge. As for installing a new pad I just did my first grind to fit decelerator and it was fairly easy with the use of a belt sander to shape it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've had decelerators but the pads I fit now are Kickeez, I find they're softer than the Pachmayr.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had several Limbsaver pads and loved them all, including a couple of the slide-on ones for use by kids and to make my Win 94 a little longer. Then I bought a Rem 1100 Tactical and the pad was terrible. Soft and everything stuck to it - dirt, grit, lint, grass, etc. The edges got ragged. I contacted Limbsaver and they sent me a new pad, si9mply asking me to return the old one when I got around to it. Bill there said that they had gotten a bad batch of rubber from a supplier a while back.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My experience is the softer the pad, the more delicate. My old .338 has a Pachmayr NON-Decelerator, because it was meant to be used quite a bit when horseback hunting, and I'd seen Decelerators ripped up while riding through timber. The softer pads will do fine for treestands and other gentle hunting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The Pac doesn't tame recoil nearly as well as the Super Cell, but they do definitely look better IMO. I have a pile of Sims, Pac, and SCs. In terms of recoil taming, I rate them Sims, SC, and Pac. That said, the Pacs are hands down the better looking and more durable of the bunch.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pads are for girlymen.Real men cut them off and put on curved steel butt plates!!! laugh

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hunts may be on to something. My favorite .30-06 is a fairly light Mauser with a graceful 24" barrel, classic stock, and a checkered steel Neidner style butt plate. Using stiff loaded 180s, it just is not bad even in shirt sleeves. Compared to an old 721 that I once had, it is a pussycat.

Stock design seems to,play a big part in felt recoil. Just my two cents, jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Huntz
Pads are for girlymen.Real men cut them off and put on curved steel butt plates!!! laugh

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Huntz

[Linked Image]

Way Cool!!!!! smile

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 29 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.