Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Savuti Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Or anybody else who wants to chime in.....

Taking son to Namibia next year, about 40 km south of Etosha, for an "old school" safari.
Menu: Oryx, Kudu, Springbok, Hartebeest.
Will be taking rifles chambered in 7x57 and 303 Brit.
I'm not a fan of mono metals in expanding form.

I'm assuming either H4350 or R17 will get it done, but what about bullets?
Leaning towards 150 or 160 Accubond or Partition in the 7. Any other I should look at?

In 303 am seriously considering the Woodliegh 215, or should I try a 180 .308 Partition provided it shoots?

Thanks
Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pete I shot 180 partitions in my .303 but frankly can tell you I lucked out..we tried them in 4 different rifles and mine was the only one that would shoot them. The 215 Woodleigh was my second choice.
Any of your choices in the 7x57 sound good. I shot 175 NPTs in mine and killed a few tons of game with them. A sure bet.

Youve been there before IIRC, in any event study Kevin Robertsons book on shot placement and keep them ON the shoulder instead of just behind it. Shoot your Gemsbok with the 7x57...hint. I killed my biggest ever with the open sighted .303 but it almost turned into a run-n-gun.

Last edited by ingwe; 10/14/13.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't comment on the .303, but can on the 7x57mm. My youngest boy used 175gr. Nosler Parition. The choices you've listed would work too.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep, and the 175 shoots plenty flat enough....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I ever get to go the Africa i am taking my M70 338 WM pushing Woodleighs. I picked up 500 250 gr many years ago on the cheap

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pete,

I've used several different bullets in the 160-grain range in my 7x57 in Africa, including the 160 Sierra GameKing--which worked just fine on game up to 200 pounds. The 156 Norma Oryx, 160 Nosler Partition and 160 North Fork also worked fine on larger animals. If I had to pick one it would probably be the 156 Oryx, since it shoots so well in my rifle and expands and penetrates well on anything from from springbok to wildebeest.

I've apparently been luckier than Ingwe and 180 Nosler Partitions have grouped pretty well in both the .303's I've tried them in--as did the 180 Sierra ProHunter and Speer DeepCurl. The rifles were my uncle's old "sporterized" Lee-Enfield and a Ruger No. 1. In fact the ProHunter grouped as well as anything from the No. 1, despite its .313 groove diameter. (I've generally found bore diameter much more important in whether a bullet will shoot.)

You might try a cheaper 180 .308 diameter bullet and see what happens. If it groups, a premium like the Partition probably would too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Savuti Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ingwe

Youve been there before IIRC, in any event study Kevin Robertsons book on shot placement and keep them ON the shoulder instead of just behind it. Shoot your Gemsbok with the 7x57...hint. I killed my biggest ever with the open sighted .303 but it almost turned into a run-n-gun.

Correct, been there before, but not Namibia, and not with these two cartridges.
Funny you should mention iron sights. One of the 303s I'm considering is a Lee Speed!

S
Savuti Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Pete,

I've used several different bullets in the 160-grain range in my 7x57 in Africa, including the 160 Sierra GameKing--which worked just fine on game up to 200 pounds. The 156 Norma Oryx, 160 Nosler Partition and 160 North Fork also worked fine on larger animals. If I had to pick one it would probably be the 156 Oryx, since it shoots so well in my rifle and expands and penetrates well on anything from from springbok to wildebeest.

I've apparently been luckier than Ingwe and 180 Nosler Partitions have grouped pretty well in both the .303's I've tried them in--as did the 180 Sierra ProHunter and Speer DeepCurl. The rifles were my uncle's old "sporterized" Lee-Enfield and a Ruger No. 1. In fact the ProHunter grouped as well as anything from the No. 1, despite its .313 groove diameter. (I've generally found bore diameter much more important in whether a bullet will shoot.)

You might try a cheaper 180 .308 diameter bullet and see what happens. If it groups, a premium like the Partition probably would too.

JB, sounds like a plan.
Thanks.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Savuti
Originally Posted by ingwe

Correct, been there before, but not Namibia, and not with these two cartridges.
Funny you should mention iron sights. One of the 303s I'm considering is a Lee Speed!

Then the 215 Woodleigh is the ONLY way to go...mine was a homemade version....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Pete,

MD has a point here...just the way the NPT is built it might obdurate more easily. If a standard cnc bullet works, the NPT certainly should!

Another teaser pic....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 10/14/13.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One more thing...the 7x57 I took on that trip ( with MD by the way...) also had open sights....

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Poobah, I have been patiently waiting a long time to do this...............

YOU SUCK !!!!!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two things:

1.) Shot plenty of 215 Rem RN (discontinued) and 180 Core lokt all with good results. These work well at the .303 MV out of my sporterized No. 5 Jungle Carbine.

2.) Ingwe does indeed suck from time to time smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sorry for the hijack, but.......Hatari you suck sometimes too. You, Poobah, and a couple other fellas around here have gotten me semi-hooked on this Africa thingy, so you're not off the hook either my friend! grin

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi Savuti,

I have not been in Africa. Yet...But I have a long list of really big Red Deer and Big Big Wild boar killed by me and sons, with the 7x57 and Hornady 154 and 175 Interlocks, Speer Mag-Tip 160 and 175 grs and, of course, the FABULOUSE Nosler Partition 160 and 175 grs.
I really like the Nosler Partition 175 grs. In a good M98 or similar rifle you can get, at least, 2600 f/s with relative mild pressure. More than good enough for ANY shoot at, almost, ANY, game the size of your planned plains antelopes.
As good as that, would be the 160 Nosler Partition at 2700 f/s. Indistingible performance one or the other, in my experience...

Good luck!

PH

Last edited by PatagoniaHunter; 10/15/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 100% recommendation to all of my hunters is the TSX or TTSX

A shame you see fault in these designs. After seeing 1000's of game shot, it's the best choice in hunting big game today by a wide margin.

I suppose if they do not shoot accurate in your rifles that would be the reason to choose otherwise. I think so highly of them that I would probably ( no definitely) get a different barrel or a new gun.

You really have to experience the effectiveness and accuracy potential of these bullets to appreciate what they can provide you. Simply put, a 30/06 with a TSX and the current powders available will far exceed the performance of the 300 win mag with it's original loads and bullets. That's saying something!

Using a sound load with your current cartridge and adding the TSX to the mix is often like going up another cartridge class. They also allow you to drop down in bullet weight for higher velocity without any loss of integrity after impact. These are the bullets that removed Sectional Density from the formula of penetration advantages.

So I suppose you may not like them, This might be the opinion of some folks. I was without a doubt one of the greatest naysayers in a professional capacity for the first 10 years the "X" bullets were on the market.

The bugs are worked out, the engineering is sound, the bullets are magic. As I said, they are so spectacular, that if I had a rifle that did not like them, I would swap the barrel or the whole gun, they are that good.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Or anybody else who wants to chime in.....

In 303 am seriously considering the Woodliegh 215, or should I try a 180 .308 Partition provided it shoots?

Thanks
Pete

Good luck in getting a 308 bullet to shoot accurately in a 311 bore. That said I can tell you the 215gr Woodleigh is an absolute penetrator with the incredibly high sectional density. I will also add I'm firmly with JJHack on the T/TTSXs, there is just no better bullet out there in any caliber.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the 303s I'm considering is a Lee Speed!

i hate you.....everyone i find is out of my price range.....for me they are right up there with the original Mannlicher-Schoenauers....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bee looking for a decent Speed for years...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A .308 180 gr partition worked like "magic" for us on zebra, kudu, oryx, etc this past May. According to Hack we were probably lucky I guess. I'm sure the TSX and TTSX are great bullets, but to say "it's the best choice in hunting big game today by a wide margin" is a bit of a stretch IMHO, and is borderline laughable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 27 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,753
Posts18,495,386
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.