Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
I am going to be building 2 custom rifles. I am tired of buying factory guns and getting bored of them and also never being fully satisfied with them. So I figure that I will be building the rifles I want exactly how I like them. I have had a tough time finding info on what mauser action would be best to reliable hold up to the pressure of 270 wsm and a 375 ruger. I was thinking a
vz24 would be the best. What do you think?? Any other thoughts/opinions?? Thanks.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think you're better off finding a good commercial FN or similar for both projects.

But can you even get a 270 WSM to work in a Mauser 98 without a ton of modifications?

Whoever you have build them better be really good at getting an odd-shaped case to feed/function in a M98. The case is completely opposite of what a Mauser was designed to handle. I can see new mag box, lots of feed rail modifications etc.

Maybe the gunsmith experts can chime in and shed more light.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
People baffle me

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
People baffle me

What baffles you???

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I can't comment on the 270 WSM conversion having not actually built one. The Ruger however is one I have done several times. It can be done on a vz24 but I have built the majority on commercial actions mostly Zastavas. Start with a short magnum action (7mm Rem or .300 Winnie) and the bolt face is already the proper size and the feeding work required will be minimized.

I built my 416 Ruger off a Zastava using a .30-06 action.

The Ruger conversion is to be preferred to conversion to H&H length cartridges to be sure. MUCH less expensive to boot.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
you think the ruger rounds will last, Mike?

The way life should be.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by idahostalker
I am going to be building 2 custom rifles. I am tired of buying factory guns and getting bored of them and also never being fully satisfied with them. So I figure that I will be building the rifles I want exactly how I like them. I have had a tough time finding info on what mauser action would be best to reliable hold up to the pressure of 270 wsm and a 375 ruger. I was thinking a
vz24 would be the best. What do you think?? Any other thoughts/opinions?? Thanks.

Probably not on your list, but if I ever have the need of a 375 Ruger I shall be putting it on a Brno ZG47 so that I can use lever mounts to access the open sights as needed.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bluefish

Long enough, I have a goodly supply of brass. I like that the Ruger series is an efficient design. They fit well in s standard length action whilst leaving plenty of meat to ensure sufficient strength.

In 700's and model 70's where the 416 Remington is pretty well established, I don't know if the Ruger will gain much traction but in M77's and Mausers I can see it being a better fit, especially in the later.

While I really like the zg47 they are rare as hen's teeth south of the border. The integral mounts are a plus to be sure, and one I personally like. However, lever mounts can be used on any mauser with the proper scope bases.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by z1r
People baffle me

What baffles you???

Yes

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bluefish

no,..they'll go the way of the Hornet and the Swift that were killed off by the 222 and 22-250 respectively...:-0

brass is still available for these.....:-)

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Donnor ZGs ARE RARE anywhere, especially the most desirable of them, the "polished" finish versions. I have sold all of my originals with the matte receivers, but, kept my very sanitary pair of factory 9,3s, my pristine and just superb "carbine" in 7x57 and I also have one of these actions from a "beater" 9,3, waiting to become whatever.

These ARE, IMO, THE BEST production sporting bolt actions ever made, BUT, one of my favourite and VERY good smiths just demurred from making mine into a .338WM,due to the tricky work needed. One does NOT just "replace" a gibbled part on one of these and I now must grovel to my friend and superb smith, Ralf Martini, to see IF he will do this.

I am NO gunsmith and many here know FAR more than I ever will, as I am old and never have been very smart, anyway, but, I would NOT put a WSM into a Mauser. I WOULD just obtain a Classic New Haven action originally FOR the WSMs and then have a good man tune and tube it.

For a .375 Ruger, I had a lovely, pristine 1933 "Postal" action, an Obie, of course and let a guy I know have it...to my current regret...he had a .375 Ruger built, by a guy here whom I will not name and against my advice. It would NOT feed and was a pathetic POS, so, after another outfit could not "fix" it, again against my advice, he finally got Ralf to make it work.....which it did and does.

My feeling is that the best option now for a .375 Ruger, would be a CZ-550, action, factory built for the 7mmRM/.300Win. and then have a damned good man like "zlr" build for you....get it right the FIRST time and have a rifle to be proud of and one that you CAN depend upon.

BTW, one of the "short mag" 4+1 boxes from Duane, Swifts or Sunnyhill will work with a little modding and give you the capacity that a ,375 really should have.

Me, I am perhaps going to just do another 9,3x62 ZG, OR, a Brenneke keeps calling to me as the guy I sold my "postal" to also got my first ZG donnor and Ralf built him a 9,3B, that makes me go weak in the knees....but, he won't now do work like this. But, who knows, if I can get the $$$$, I would LOVE just one more REAL custom rifle and he is one of the best!

Bob, as always, is also right with the excellent FNs and there are lots out there around $400.00 per.

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by z1r
People baffle me

What baffles you???

Yes

I see.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
My .375 Ruger was built on a JC Higgins M50 action by Bill Leeper. The donor rifle was originally a .270 Win so there was a fair amount of metal work to be done on the action. We kept the factory bottom metal and safety put replaced the trigger with a Timney.

I ended up with a rifle that feeds and functions as smoothly and reliably as my FN .35 Whelen - and that is saying a lot!

So in my opinion, the Ruger/Mauser combination is almost a perfect match as long as one gets the right gunsmith to dothe work.

I coudn't resist.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mauser98; 10/19/13.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I think that is the nicest stock that you have done so far, at least that I have seen photos of; I really prefer that slimmer, Brit./Euro-influenced style for a rifle to be carried and hunted here in BC, day after day.

If, I had a smidgen of your obvious talent, I would love to be able to get the laminated blanks that the late Mel Smart, used to sell under his "Accrabond" label and build my own as you do so well.

Bill, sure does build some VERY choice rifles and as Bob posted and I endorsed, the FNs are among the best possible action choices, especially now, with "Tradex" bringing in so many fine "donnor" rifles from "Yurp". He did a VERY nice .375H&H for a good buddy of mine, who himself does fine synthetic stocking and outstanding CeraKote and GunKote work, on one of a pair of factory-cut P-64 H&H actions I had in my action stash.

It actually used a "take off" bbl. from a Brno 602 and my buddy stocked it in a Boyd's, highly modded and then an American firm checkered it for him....damned fine piece and at a "workin' man's" price.

One query, does yours hold 4+1, or do you prefer the slimmer, lighter, 3+1 to use that solid Mauser factory BM?

REALLY NICE piece, I would be proud to own it!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I had one of the first .375 Ruger Africans that showed up locally for a while, but after I sold it (because I didn't need two .375's and already had a Whitworth H&H) I kept a few rounds for photos and whatever.

Once in a while I try them through different actions to see how they'll feed, and so far they've worked fine through several, including an FN commercial 98 action that was converted from .30-06-sized rounds to .338 Winchester years ago. Right now I have a 7mm Remington Magnum on a 1909 Argentine action, and am gonna see if it will feed 'em as well. Suspect it will, and might even try today and report back here.

Anymore I don't think it's worth the trouble to convert a 98 action for .30-06-sized rounds to any magnum, but if one that's already been converted to feed belted rounds like the 7mm RM or .300 or .338 Winchester can be found for a decent price, it will probably feed .375 Rugers without much hassle.

It can also be used with Talley steel detachable rings (my choice) or any other good detachable if that's what somebody wants. If you prefer mounts that clamp directly to the action, a CZ 550 meant for the above cartridges would no doubt work for the .375 Ruger as well.

As for the .270 WSM, my experience is that the shorter beltless magnums work slicker in a push-feed action than any controlled-feed action. They can be made to work in a CRF action, and I owned a .270 WSM factory Model 70 Classic that fed fine, plus a South Carolina M70 .300 WSM. I also realize some people believe CRF is the only way to go, even for deer cartridges or the .17 Hornet, but having killed at least 150 deer, caribou and elk with push-feed actions, with nary a bobble when a second shot was required. (Oh, and none of those animals charged, either.) I wouldn't try to get a 98 Mauser to feed a .270 WSM, but though it just might if already designed for a belted magnum and the magazine was blocked off in the rear.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kutenay

One query, does yours hold 4+1, or do you prefer the slimmer, lighter, 3+1 to use that solid Mauser factory BM?

REALLY NICE piece, I would be proud to own it!

Thanks Kutenay. I appreciate your comments.

My rifle holds 3 down as that is the only option when using stock BM. When Bill and I where planning the build I specifically requested that the extractor be modified to to snap over the rim of a cartridge that was dropped into the chamber to achieve a 3+1.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a note that I did try .375 Ruger rounds in my 1909 7mm Remington Magnum. The top two in the magazine fed perfectly, but the third nose-dived, I suspect because the magazine spring isn't strong enough for the much heavier bullet--which is also probably my .338 will feed 'em, with the bullets being much closer in weight. It wouldn't take much to fix.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by idahostalker

By far my favorite mauser action is the Yugo Interarms Whitworth single shot...nothing else even compares if you can find one. mine are not for sale!!!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is one of mine [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My feeling is that the best option now for a .375 Ruger, would be a CZ-550, action, factory built for the 7mmRM/.300Win . . . . .

NH M70 Classic magnums are another good candidate for the 375 and 416 Ruger. Don't ask me how I know. smile

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,473,018
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.