Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8164053 10/16/13
S
s4s4u Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
They have these two subcompacts at the LGS. Has anyone had experience with BOTH that they would like to share? Are there any other comparably priced little single stack 9's to consider? I'm a 45 guy, but started loading for my daughter's 9 and figured WTH.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't have experience with both of these, but I will mention that I like the smoothness of the Kahr's trigger. I have a PM9 which I enjoy shooting and carrying.

A Keltec PF-9 may be a good sub-compact to take a look at as well.

Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't care for the trigger cocking guns with no trigger blocking device. The Glock's trigger bar is minimal but it's MUCH better than nothing. Neither the CM9 or the LC9 has a trigger blocking device, but the LC9 does have what all pocket pistols SHOULD have, a manual thumb safety. Pocket guns need this even more than other guns because even if you dedicate your pocket to the pistol, at sometime you'll space it and drop something else in there. And that something can get into the trigger guard. With a manual safety it's just a non issue. Plus you can safely lighten the trigger pretty much all you want with no risks in the safety department. I personally think this "no safety" fad is a mistake. Yeah we can work with it, but why should we? It's just so easy to equip a pistol with a thumb safety. And I'm sure someone will mention a pocket holster...but that's a given and in my book doesn't negate the need for a thumb safety.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have the LC9, and will not "give it up". The sights are just too good for a small pistol. I hit what I aim at with it. The trigger pull is long, but smooth.
You can't go wrong with it.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Just purchased a Kahr CM9 over the weekend and have been really impressed with it. I have put 150 rounds through it thus far with zero malfunctions(Kahr recommends 200 round break in).

My wife has a LC9 and I think the Kahr CM9 trigger is much better. I initially bought the CM9 to pocket carry(and will probably do so some). What I found out though, is this little pistol just disappears IWB and is comfortable to boot.

The LC9 is a very accurate little pistol too. My biggest concern is the magazine disconnect on it. However, my wife is very accurate to 15 yards and can operate all the controls and slide efficiently, and feels comfortable with it. I would much rather her carry something she's comfortable and proficient with then nothing at all.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 10/17/13.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife has a KelTec PF 9 and we think it is the best of the bunch, and by quite a margin. Second pick (and she had one of these for a while as well, as have I more than once) would be the KAHR. The only thing she did not like about the KAHR was the very long trigger pull, but the trigger pull IS quite smooth. The Kel Tec trigger is fairly light and smooth for a DAO gun, and the trigger pull length is not excessive like on many others. We eliminated the Ruger from consideration because of its external thumb safety. A gun so equipped is a non starter- not to be considered - piece for newer shooters IMO. One more thing to learn and manipulate in a crisis which can easily be forgotten. Don't want my wife to draw upon a close charging rapist, pull the trigger and then in that moment of crisis with fine motor skill badly deteriorated have to try and remember them manipulate a thumb safety. Her carry gun, and those of any other newer shooter who is not going to practice very much needs to be a point and shoot proposition, in my strongly held opinion.

Give the Kel Tec a try, I think you will like it!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Chester45
I don't have experience with both of these, but I will mention that I like the smoothness of the Kahr's trigger. I have a PM9 which I enjoy shooting and carrying.

A Keltec PF-9 may be a good sub-compact to take a look at as well.

Yeah the Zimmerman special should work quite well. I'm partial to the Kahr because it fits my hand better.

[Linked Image]

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
S
s4s4u Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for all the input. What about the Sig 290?

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by s4s4u
Thanks for all the input. What about the Sig 290?

Don't have any experience with it but isn't it a bit larger? The Sig 938 would certainly be worthy of consideration.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Love my cm9. Easiest gun to conceal and has been flawless

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've owned the PF-9 and currently have the Kahr CW-9. Gotta say the Kahr handles the 9mm recoil better than the PF-9 for me, but that's a subjective observation and not a rule by any means. The PF was very accurate, but the CW is just as or more so, though it costs at least 100 more if that's a consideration.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The mag disconnect on the LC9 goes away pretty easily just watch a 5 minute youtube video on how to do it.

I had a PM40 and although accurate was never really a fan of the Kahr trigger it stacked up, stacked up then blam not a smooth, although long pull like the LC9.

Got a clip to carry the LC9 like the Kel-tek or help secure it on an ankle holster.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Kevin's point is well-taken, assuming you only carry the CM9 in a pocket. I don't. The absence of a thumb safety is therefore a non-issue for me.

I do prefer the CM9 to the LC9. I didn't think I would, but it just fits/handles better and has been utterly reliable with a variety of top-tier LEO/SD ammo. It's one of the top three carry guns in my rotation.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I generally use ankle holster

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have the ruger and the CW9 and the CM9. Spring kits are available for the Ruger to make it lighter.

Kahr pistols are unreal accurate, but you must practice to master the long trigger pull. Kahr's long trigger pull is smooth, but it kills accuracy for a lot of people that want to jerk the trigger.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
"but it kills accuracy for a lot of people that want to jerk the trigger."

Let me submit - with respect of course - that the long trigger isn't what is killing the accuracy...but rather the people who want to jerk it!

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
s4,

I had a PF9 for a number of years. Both it and my P3AT showed
a lot of internal wear. Both were sold.

My replacements were LC9 and LCP both with CTC laser sights.

Both have 200 or so rounds through them with no wear noticed.
The trigger pulls on both are very good. And I like the feel
of each when shooting.

I have put verious types of ammo through each with no failures.
The LC9 functions with a "limp wrist" hold. The PF9 required a firm hold to compete its cycle.

No negatives on Kahr so I would compare weight, ets. before deciding. Price may be an issue but the Rugers are both great pistolos.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd take the Kahr over the Ruger, and would never want an external safety on a pocket fighting pistol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I'm a 45 guy,..."

S4,

Maybe you should give the Kahr PM45 or the soon to be released/released? CM45 a look. I've got the CW45 and like it. I also have a CM9 and had a CW9, like both but ===> "I'm a 45 guy".

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My wife has both!! She prefers the LC9. I have, and prefer the CM9 over the LC9. I suppose is all a preference thing.I read an article on the LC,the author said it felt"like a well used bar of soap". A very good discription, as it has no sharp edges, everything is radiused.The CM is also perhaps a little tempermental,a break-in required, and more returns to the factory for "tuning" than one should expect. However, for a "pocket pistol",it has a good trigger,is very accurate,point-shoots(at least for me)exceptionally well, and is fractionally smaller than the LC9. Either one should serve you well. Just treat the CM more like a Porche than a Honda!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,510
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.