Print Thread
Hop To
S
swag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I pulled a Remington 760 out of the safe that I have had for awhile now to go shooting this weekend and I am perplexed crazy

I do not recall ever noticing this, but the forend moves forward about a 1/4" and makes a noticeable click with the action closed. It's tight, doesn't rattle, just makes a dreaded click if slid forward. This is the only one I have owned, so I am not sure if this is common? It's a '69 version. I looked a friends who has a older 50's version and his does not do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Check to ensure the fore-end screw is tight.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
swag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for replying Redneck. The forend screw is tight. The whole forend assembly and rails slide forward an additional 1/4" when the action is closed rather easily. Looking inside the action from the magwell, you can see the back half of the bolt body move forward too. The lugs do not turn though, it appears to be locked up fine.

The click is coming from the bolt body hitting the slide release lever when you let go of the forend if that makes sense. If the slide release lever was a little longer, it would support the bolt body forward enough to take up the 1/4" play. It doesn't look like the tip of lever is broken off, but not 100% sure. I sure this is all for nothing and is how they work...

Matt

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
It should not be doing that . There is something amiss with your locking/release lever . You shouldn't be able to move it more than .010 to .015" .

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by oneoldsap
It should not be doing that . There is something amiss with your locking/release lever . You shouldn't be able to move it more than .010 to .015" .
That...

If that fore-end screw is tight, then the bolt lock is definitely the next place to look. If there's any gap more than a couple thousandths, something's wrong; either the bolt lock has been messed with/broken off or the action arm surface it mates to is suspect..

Get it to a gunsmith pronto. I wouldn't fire it in it's present condition..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Box came yesterday afternoon. I'll be on it today.

Lee

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, your bolt lock looks pristine (it's the extended arm of the disconnector and it shows no wear and no breakage). BTW, this is one of the nicest 760s I've seen in years.. Looks to be hardly used.

Has it ever been apart? I.e., bolt/action arms removed from the receiver? It appears not, but I wanted to make sure. I may have to disassemble it to get at the bolt and if it's not been done since it left the factory I'll have to apply some heat to the action guide in order to break the threads loose from the red lock-tite they used originally. There will be some teeth marks from the tool that I'll have to polish down and cold blue to match. It'll be only barely visible, but they'll be there.. After it's been done once it'll be no problem to disassemble again at any future date if it becomes necessary..

I'm a bit concerned about the amount of movement of the bolt head vs. the body. Therefore I need to check the locking pins that keep the two together - wondering if there's where the problem lies..

I won't start on the removal until/unless you give me the ok..

Lee

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
swag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hi Lee,

I just sent you a PM before seeing this post, you can ignore it smile

Have at it my friend, whatever you need to do I am fine with. I can not say for sure if it's been apart since I am not the original owner. I have never done anything to it since I have had it.

I originally bought the rifle for a project, but I decided it was too nice to mess with and plan to run her as is.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My pump arm was tight laterally but moved fore and aft more than 1/8 inch. I tore it down. The 'O' ring was fine so after lots of
Investigation came to this simple fix. Might be pretty common since the schematics can be misleading... This is my 3rd 7600/760 and the others are gone because this issue on them made me nuts...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sorry if this is redundant but it didn't seem to post correctly..

That one is for a 760 and doesn't nor does the one from Brownells.
Check out this one from Numrich...it has it although you can't see it but that's where it goes. I bought mine from Remington; part #F92231
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Remington-33454/Rifles-37895/7600-39570.htm

IC B3

S
swag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the reply smong. Is that part interchangeable with a 760? Any chance you could take a picture of the part installed?

Matt

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sorry Matt, I'd have to take off barrel and knock out firing pin retaining pin. Not hard but everytime you take something apart there is risk involved...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (22kHornet, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 48 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,357
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.