-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've just got back in to Traditional Bow Hunting with a really nice Custom Long Bow built by Mike Ballinger. It's a 62" bow with a 48 lb draw weight @ 28"s.

I've always wanted to kill a deer with a real Flint Arrowhead, and was wondering if anyone here on the Campfire has hunted with a Flint Arrowhead for deer or hogs, & if so, what size did you use & did you make a successful kill with it???
For hunting with flint, I will be using real wooden arrows custom made out of Cedar by Mike

Also, for right now, I'm using the Byron Ferguson Gold Tip Heavy Hunter Carbon Arrows for hunting with a traditional Broadhead for my first season until I am more proficient with the new Long Bow. And I'll be limiting my shots to 20 yards or less as to not wound anything. Nothing I hate worse than a wounded & lost deer by a hunter who takes a risky shot that's beyond their capability.

So my other question is what type of traditional Broadhead would the the other Traditional Bow Hunters here on the 'Fire reccomend for my Carbon Arrows?

I've got it narrowed down between the Slick Trick Vipers, Muzzie 4-Blade, Magnus Stinger 4-blade. Or the More traditional Zwickey Black Diamond Broadheads. But I'm trying to finalize my decision on Broadheads, so I Can start hunting.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks for your input!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/16/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would love to do the same thing someday

Life is just one damned thing after another
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've always been "traditional" wood arrows but 2 blade steel broadheads. Got a few buddies that use flint, they are tough and cut like a hot knife thru butter.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Sorry, should have read your whole post. If you want my opinion, as far as a two blade goes I like the eclipse. Three blade the snuffer gets my vote. I am friends with a lot of very experienced stickbow guys. The answers from them would be similar. Ther are a lot of new heads out there and a lot of hype about single bevel, this and that, doesn't matter. Use a proven tough, simple design that you have CONFIDENCE in. If you have any specific question about any particular head Pm me and we can chat. I have info on most anything thats been around for awhile. (real info not internet info)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For modern a cut on contact point with enough weight to give you a heavy front of center arrow.

For flint or chert arrow points look at Primitive Archery forum and a great YouTube video on penetration is offered by Billy Berger with Primitive Path Ways. He shoots several stone tipped arrows into a deer.

You are heading down one of the most interesting roads in archery in my opinion...Good Luck

PS. You live in one of the best states for rock that makes great arrowheads...

Last edited by nclonghunter; 10/17/13.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try this link;

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,42709.0.html

You may have to join to see the pictures..not sure

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks fellows for the info

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
First buck with a stone point knapped by a friend of mine. Hand made self knocked arrow and hand made longbow. That was opening day that year and the first and only arrow flung at a deer with that bow. I decided to retire it while it was batting 1000. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2 years later I got tired of my buddies busting my balls saying it was a fluke so I shot another one with the replacement head my friend sent me.

[Linked Image]

It can be done.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's awesome. Congrats.

I'm digging that plaid, I need to get some. I'm thinking about Asbell's stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using various broad heads on wooden arrows since the 60's and found that most will do the job if you put them in the right spot. If you miss that spot a little, I like a broad head with more than two blades. To me an odd number of blades fly better and I usually use a three blade head. I have used the Zwickey Black Diamond with the small bleeder and they are good broad heads, but sharpening that bleeder can be a pain.

This is the broad head I've been carrying for the last few weekends. I haven't gotten a shot with it yet, but after testing it on a buck I got with a muzzle loader, I am confident that it will do the job. I shot the hanging buck through the chest from about 15 yards and got complete penetration with a 32 inch arrow. The broad head was in perfect condition, just like it hadn't been shot.
[Linked Image]

Harry
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (2500HD, 160user, 69sportfury, 01Foreman400, 300s, 14 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,102
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.