Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
handsup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
My M8 6x42 duplex reticle broke on the 7th shot (25-06) after being repaired by Leupold for the same exact failure(broken lower crosshair), now what? The scope has been gathering dust as I have detailed the failures twice in emails to Leupold and not gotten a response, which I suppose may be understandable given the time of year. I am not sure I can trust this scope and it's a hunting not a range scope for me. Don't feel right about getting it fixed and selling it and have someone need a follow-up shot and have no reticle. Would changing the reticle to another style like Mil Dot give me a better chance of reliability?

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Call Leupold. Get names. Be persistent. Treat it like you already lost the scope and have nothing to lose.

Are your mounts/rings in a bind? Have they asked that question?

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How far forward of the eyepiece was the rear ring mounted on the tube?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E, you may know, what do you suppose happened to this scope?

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
How far forward of the eyepiece was the rear ring mounted on the tube?

maybe this?:

Mule Deer
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana

I had the reticle break on a 6x42 Leupold in less than 50 rounds, but it turned out I broke it. It was on a post-'64 Model 70 in .280, in Weaver rings.

I sent the scope to Leupold and they fixed it. I remounted the scope and the reticle broke again within a few rounds. This time I called one of the Leupold techs I knew to let him know there was a real problem with their reticles.

He asked where the rear ring was on the scope. I told him it was right in front of the eyepiece. He told me the reticle cell was right there, and I was over-tightening the ring, which compressed the wire reticle, which made it break. They fixed the scope again, and I was more careful about mount-screw tightness, and it never broke again. In fact I believe I still have that scope, but not the rifle.

That was the beginning of various lessons in ring tightness. Have seen dozens of problems since, but with scopes other people mounted--and they always blame the blankety-blank scopes, without a clue that they caused the problem. In fact the head of one custom-rifle shop airily informed me that he'd once encountered Leupold scopes in a row that were bad "right out of the box." Not long afterward I discovered he really reefed on the rings screws whenever he mounted a scope.

The ultimate concern of a rifle loony is rifle trivia. And why not? What else is as distracting from the really important concerns of everyday life?

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The long eye relief on the 6x42 means that lots of people have to have it moved as far forward as possible. Very easy to bind/break it with certain rings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's too bad, and may show a weakness with that model.

I am thinking Leupold has thought about that, they have been
around for a while. Just warranty it, and most
know enough not to be a gorilla on tightening the rings.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Many other brands of 6x scopes have the reticle right in front of the eyepiece--or did, when more companies made 6x scopes.

I've owned a pile of 6x42's since then, and even more 6x36's, and never broken a reticle on any of them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
handsup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks for the input. Mounts are 2 piece Talley that are lapped in, scope is mounted right in front of the eyepiece. My technique for rings is to tighten up with a screwdriver hex bit set, then check when on the bench for cleaning. It is obviously possible that I overly tighten but arthritis in my hands has my wife opening the jars in the family and with years as a maintenance engineer I have a pretty good feel for torque limits. I think I will get Leupold to repair and then let it take up room on my safe shelf.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bet you would have no trouble selling it in the classifieds, once it's repaired.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take it. PM sent. grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good buy!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done the same....bought a torque wrench and followed Talley's torque specs......no further problems......I've since followed these specs for other rifles and experienced no scope slippage even on 375s.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my only leupold failure was this same mistake. farmer tight rear ring on a 6x42 broke the cross hairs without firing a shot. had it fixed, lightly torqued rear ring but still farmer tight on the front ring and all is well on a .375 Ultra.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VernAK
I've done the same....bought a torque wrench and followed Talley's torque specs......no further problems......I've since followed these specs for other rifles and experienced no scope slippage even on 375s.

This. There are torque specs for a reason.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
handsup,

While you may have a "good feel" for torque limits, the 15-20 inch-pounds cited for most scope-ring screws isn't much. I did some experimenting on ring screws, using both regular screwdrivers and an accurate torque driver (let's just say not a $35 model). I'm probably of average strength for an adult American male, and it turned out that if I held a screwdriver ONLY by first two fingers and thumb, and didn't even attempt to tighten them hard, the amount of torque was normally in the correct range.

Oh, and when I broke the reticle on my 6x42 twice, the symptoms were exactly the same as yours, right down to where the same crosshair broke.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
an accurate torque driver (let's just say not a $35 model).

Is the ubiquitous $50 model (name not mentioned to protect the innocent) serviceable and worth getting?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
the 15-20 inch-pounds cited for most scope-ring screws isn't much.

I just bought and installed several pairs of Leupold rings. On the package, they recommended 28 inch-pounds. On a torgue wrench, that felt way too tight. Do you find that much less torque to be adequate?

H
handsup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks for the education guys, I have been doing what I always had done for over 40 years and just getting away with it. My small torque wrench is not accurate at these low torques but gives me about 30 in/lbs when I checked another set of Talley rings. I will get a correct range wrench and check everything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by msquared
the 15-20 inch-pounds cited for most scope-ring screws isn't much.

I just bought and installed several pairs of Leupold rings. On the package, they recommended 28 inch-pounds. On a torgue wrench, that felt way too tight. Do you find that much less torque to be adequate?

In foot pounds, you might get more perspective.

28 inch-pounds is 2 1/3 foot-pounds (or about 37 ounces of pull at one foot from the screw)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 22250rem, 219DW, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,868
Posts18,517,974
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.