Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by NYStillHunter
I love my Caribou! I used to around freezing in a Tarp Tent and I am not al hot sleeper. I do weR a hat and sleep in long johns.

Really glad you posted this. I was thinking about getting a Caribou sleeping bag for myself but was a little skeptical of the quilted construction and how warm it would keep me.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a couple 40 year old down rectangular bags that are still in excellent shape. I can stay warm down to 20 IF I can get the tops pulled tight enough to keep the cold air from coming down around my shoulders. Years ago the designs weren't what they are today and the drawstrings are difficult to use. Needless to say, I need to upgrade to a mummy of some kind if I plan to keep on sleeping in a tent during hunting season...which I do.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A good part of being able to handle it is not taking long hiatus' from hiking. When you turn 40, all of a sudden it takes twice as long to get back in shape. I've been hiking with the llamas all summer getting them in shape and surprise!, I got in shape along with them. It pays off.

One of the best things we ever did was get a dog that needs to get his runs in. Three or four times a week we go on a 2-hour hike off-trail. I always carry a day pack, and in the summer switch over to a bigger pack and progressively load it up. That, and a few "tune-up" overhight fishing trips in the mountains, with a scouting trip or two thrown in seem to work well.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A good part of being able to handle it is not taking long hiatus' from hiking. When you turn 40, all of a sudden it takes twice as long to get back in shape. I've been hiking with the llamas all summer getting them in shape and surprise!, I got in shape along with them. It pays off.

One of the best things we ever did was get a dog that needs to get his runs in. Three or four times a week we go on a 2-hour hike off-trail. I always carry a day pack, and in the summer switch over to a bigger pack and progressively load it up. That, and a few "tune-up" overhight fishing trips in the mountains, with a scouting trip or two thrown in seem to work well.
You'd have gotten a bigger elk if you'd have done more burpees! wink laugh

I do the "thing" 3 days/week, but what ever works for you works.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oh, I hit the gym too.

What is "the thing?"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crossfit. Funny part, is that I found out about it here from a former poster, John Frazier (I think that first name is right). I meet a group at the Y on M-W-F at 5 am.

Gym or not, what works, works.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yup.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sounds much like what I WAS doing at a local gym, near my humble old home here, but, had to quit as I had to stay home because my wife was unable to get from bed to bathroom alone.

One can and I usually have hardened up by local hiking and now the running track/bleachers, but, were I see a real benefit for we "well seasoned" guys in being able to backpack hunt by doing "CF" is in maintaining and improving joint flexibility and strength.

So, later around Christmas, I am going to buy a six month deal at the one in Vancity, operated by a guy I have met and I think that it will help me a lot.

The other thing is to REALLY watch one's diet and I LOVE cheeses, "Haagen Daz" and all the stuff one should NOT eat if he is built more like a beer keg than the concrete block I resembled in the "good old days"....life is NOT "fair"! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kutenay
Sounds much like what I WAS doing at a local gym, near my humble old home here, but, had to quit as I had to stay home because my wife was unable to get from bed to bathroom alone.

One can and I usually have hardened up by local hiking and now the running track/bleachers, but, were I see a real benefit for we "well seasoned" guys in being able to backpack hunt by doing "CF" is in maintaining and improving joint flexibility and strength.So, later around Christmas, I am going to buy a six month deal at the one in Vancity, operated by a guy I have met and I think that it will help me a lot.

The other thing is to REALLY watch one's diet and I LOVE cheeses, "Haagen Daz" and all the stuff one should NOT eat if he is built more like a beer keg than the concrete block I resembled in the "good old days"....life is NOT "fair"! smile
The bolded portion is very important and since you are focusing on that I think you'll be fine. Many ways to get there as long as you get there. A suggestion, start getting a bit more active between now and when you start. Do stuff you know you can do, just more of it and at a faster pace. It'll help the learning curve and prevent some of the soreness. You will be sore after certain workouts. Lots of the exercises can be done at home with just your bodyweight.

I'm still fat, and will probably remain so, after 18mos of pretty consistent workouts. Mostly because I eat like crap on the weekends. That said, I can move and do things now I couldn't do or as easily when I started.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 163bc, 10ring1, 75 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,734
Posts18,494,879
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.