Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
I like Black T a lot, though I've only use it on handguns thus far. It has held up very well.

IMO, the best is Roguard by Robar. Extremely scratch and rust resistant. If you combine Roguard with Robar's NP3 on the bolt and internals, you have an excellent self lubricating wear and rust resistant package with a very slick action. It is a bit pricey compared to the others, but you get what you pay for.

Teflon is just too soft and is quite susceptible to wear and scratching.

I have found the actions on Cerakote finished bolt rifles to be too sticky for my taste.

I've only had a Williams Oberndorf type floorplate done in NP3 so I can't really speak to it's durability, but I was very pleased with the way it turned out as far as appearance. I had it done to closely match the SS finish on my 700 SS BDL in 280 Ackley.

Black-T on barreled action and scope mounts (rings and bases).

[Linked Image]

Robar NP3..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by starsky
Gimme Black T every time.

Mine failed......so

Scratching it with a screwdriver is hardly failing IMO. Is there a coating out there that's as slick and thin as Black T that wouldn't scratch under those conditions?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't speak for other teflon coatings, but I have some years of experience with black t. I have never had an issue with foaming cleaners making it loose. Ever.

The rigs we have it on have been used a lot and there are some surface scratches, particularly on the bolt knobs. It is a very tough finish, but granite rock will scratch it. As has been noted, a screwdriver would also put a hurt on it.

For me the only down side with Birdsong is the turn time. Have talked to the guys at Black Ice a few times and am leaning that direction on next one. My expectations are that when that rig hits granite, it is going to get scratched though.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had several done in Cerakote, only 1 in Teflon (Black Ice). I like both of them but both will scratch/wear. Teflon seems slicker and thinner and all the little stuff can get coated. Cerakote may be a bit tougher as it's thicker but I can't say for sure...it does seem to make the bolt a bit rougher in the action. Lot's of color choices in the Cerakote.

Either is a good option and I think how well the person preps/applies it can make a big difference. Had cerakote in the past from one gunsmith that just didn't perform as well as the rest that has been applied by Karl or Eddie.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.