What bullets and Caliber? Thanks!

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by logcutter
....I want a bullet that is not specific to twist and velocity that works in all my rifles.

Shoot a Partition.

Drinks after work Bob. grin Where can I get some of those Partitions,was it...

Lets see:

What rate of twist will stabilize Triple-Shock X Bullets?
TSX bullets are designed for and tested in standard-twist barrels. If you�re using a slower twist, we recommend choosing a shorter (lighter) bullet for your rifle. (See General Reloading section for a list of our test barrel twists.)

Hey Bob.....Remember back in the old days when all the successful hunters dug through there dead animals looking for the bullet to show off as the ultimate killer and performer?

I don't either......

Jayco laugh

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Topstock
[quote=Anaconda][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Do mushrooms get any better ?

What bullets and Caliber? Thanks!

Looks just like the TMZ's I've recovered.

Last edited by SLM; 10/22/13.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jayco you just sorta bumped into bullets peeling animals smile

Yes the beauty of Partitions is that they do pretty well in any damned cartridge and caliber you shoot them in,don't require any special twists and are very effective terminally. wink They are a "go to" bullet when in doubt. I prefer them over an AB myself.

Seems when you jump up a notch to tougher construction is when things get a bit complicated...oh they work well enough most of the time but from standard twists and velocities...but I still think monos will strut their stuff bette at the higher end of velocity and twist.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Isn't the Campfire amazing? A tongue-in-cheek thread that starts out by specifically saying anybody who's shot an elk with a Barnes bullet is disqualified from posting, somehow transforms itself in 10 days into another "tastes great/less filling" bullet thread, complete with the same sorts of photos and stories we've been seeing and reading for years now.

Am so glad to relearn all this interesting stuff.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So Bob,at what animal will the Mono strut there stuff enough for a guy to consider them rather than the Partition?

For rookie barnes users,listening to internet chatter and reading actual Barnes data and what they recommend,is quite different.

Take the .308 Win as Brad used to get bad results......

Barnes data only says do not use 200 grain bullets in a 1:12 twist(Standard twist for it)..Nothing about the 150 grain and twist....

Load data has two loads/one 100 fps faster than the starred for accuracy load at 2850 fps or so....So would you recommend the faster load over the accurate load to new users to possibly insure the bullet opening?

Okay,one has to admit that Barnes bullets that are recovered are pretty little things and Bergers and some others are just flat out ugly,even the Swift A-Frame looks pregnant after impact and who would want to own up to that.

The main thing I don't see on the net is Partition failures/Core-Lokt etc etc just chatter about Barnes and Bergers over and over again and again.....Why is that?

Jayco

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Isn't the Campfire amazing?

This post was prescient, given what follows......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The internet is 95% entertainment... can't think of much I do different than what guys killing animals in the 50s and 60s taught me and what evolved from my own experiences.

It's the serious egos that are entertaining.

Poor newbie's that get good basic info and then are steamrolled by 'experts'.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just how much white-lightning would a guy have to drink to think like Jayco?

Tanner

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So true...Entertaining/yes...Serious/No

Now back to pretty bullets..I'll match the Barnes and raise you a Core-Lokt(Pictured on right showing up the two Noslers at left)

I am going to build me a rifle based on the Remington Core-Lokt.

[Linked Image]

Jayco laugh

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by logcutter
I am going to build me a rifle based on the Remington Core-Lokt.

I doubt that. Not that you would, but that you will.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Let me check my twist and velocities and I'll get back to you on that!!!!!!

Jayco cry

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Back years ago, I got over 300 250 gr 35 caliber Bitterroots from a guy up in Sitka ,Alaska....but had no rifle to shoot them in frown

This was in the days when good 35 caliber bullets were nowhere near as common as they are today so sometimes necessity is the mother of invention....and good 375 caliber bullets were as hard to come by....we were pretty deprived back then grin

I had a magnum pre 64 action and a Brown Precision stock and sent them to Butch Searcy (he was in Ne Mexico then). He cam up with a 12 twist 35 caliber Krieger barrel,and chambered it for the 8 Rem Mag cartridge but necked to 35 caliber.

When it was done it shot those 250 gr Bitterroots like a champ at over 3000 fps.

It was a clascic example of literally building a rifle around a bullet, but the thing was it shot Speers and Hornady's and everything you fed it.

But it was "built" around those Bitterroots and was far better for the chore than a standard 14-16 twist that common "wisdom" said I shoulda used for 35 calibers back then. wink smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I had a .358 Shooting Times Alaskan for a while with a 1-12 twist, a barrel rebored by Classic Barrel and Gunworks. It shot every bullet I tried, including the 280-grain Swift A-Frame and whatever the heaviest Woodleigh weighs. But damn, there was no .35 caliber TSX back then, so it wouldn't kill anything.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bob,ain't we talking Wild Cat here with your 8MM necked to 35 caliber?

Wasn't alot of that going around in these parts back when.The average Joe bought a Winchester/Remington or Savage/Stevens on a budget and went hunting using factory ammunition....Factory ammunition still reigns for the average shooter...

And Barnes load data is based on the normal twist of the said cartridge aka 1-12/.308 and 1-10/30-06 and so on with a warning above not to shoot certain weights for stabilization reasons.

So,if a guy buys Barnes and it meets there criteria in weight and twist,should it not work properly in said caliber leaving a shooter not having to worry about chit he reads on forums,just sticking with Barnes data and recommendations.

But I am still wondering at what animal size does one need to think Mono rather than Nosler?

Jayco

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
50 cal 460 gr of pure lead is what i'm using.

[Linked Image]

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I feel like you casted that from a thimble... Is this what you look like when you're reloading?

http://danielriccio.com/thimble-pics/Pages/01_Ricciothimbles.html

Last edited by Jcub; 10/22/13. Reason: I think I fixed it.

11b b4.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Your link isn't working.

I take no credit for the bullet. It's a No Excuse bullet. I buy them. They make elk DRT from what i've seen reports on. I haven't tried one on game yet, but plan to.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Your link isn't working.

I take no credit for the bullet. It's a No Excuse bullet. I buy them. They make elk DRT from what i've seen reports on. I haven't tried one on game yet, but plan to.

I fixed it.

11b b4.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have to wonder how you knew about that web site?

You into thimbles?

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (219DW, 1badf350, 222Sako, 160user, 22250rem, 257Ackley, 62 invisible), 3,399 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,751
Posts18,535,520
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.