Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
why do you say they are "bubba'd" ?

"My goal in life is to be at least half the man my Dogs think I am."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I guess that might not be the right term to use. But they are not in original stocks, possibly reblued bottom metal and barrels and one is missing factory original rear sight.

1950 and 1954 are years.

Thanks

1st Bn 5th Marines Wpns Co. 03-07
Semper Fidelis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd pay 1,000 for the 300. Maybe 1500 for the 375.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There's nothing wrong with those rifles at all. To call a rifle "Bubba'd" because it doesn't have the original stock is silly. However it does detract (or possibly add to, depending on who did the work) from the value. The 300 is worth $1,400.00+ and the 375 much more at around $2600.00+..Also, that's a very nice pair of matching H&H's.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
If they are for sale locally, what is the asking price for each?

"My goal in life is to be at least half the man my Dogs think I am."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What wapiti said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
There's nothing wrong with those rifles at all. To call a rifle "Bubba'd" because it doesn't have the original stock is silly. However it does detract (or possibly add to, depending on who did the work) from the value. The 300 is worth $1,400.00+ and the 375 much more at around $2600.00+..Also, that's a very nice pair of matching H&H's.

I pretty sure I corrected what I said in a post above.

Semper Fidelis
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
He wants 7000 for the whole kit and kaboodle. Scopes, dies, brass, loaded ammo, bullets, slings, ect..

Semper Fidelis
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
There BSA, I changed the title for you

Semper Fidelis
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice ole 'heavy hitters' but I do not see 7K and I will usually see 'all they can do'.. very best

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would have to have those rifles in hand to be sure , but; my first thoughts are those may be the original stocks that have been re-worked. The curved top line at the receiver front ring are typical of original stocks. The bottom line of the butts may have been reduced to make the pistol grip stand proud at the bottom to allow a new grip cap to stand alone. I have seen this done and done it myself and that's how they look afterwards. The original checkering may have been removed and re-cut in skip line. Again, I would have to hold them for examination to be sure. The work was well done. They appear to have a new matte metal finish on the receivers. So, they are not collector pieces for sure. If the bores are very good they might just be fine hunting rifles. I wouldn't consider more than 2500.00-3000.00 for the pair if the bores are bright and fine. And, I would enjoy the heck out of them as hunters and if possible re-cut the checkering to remove the skip lines. All depends if the wide lines are exactly double the normal cut lines to allow eliminating them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The matte finish on the receivers is standard. I also believe that these are re-worked factory stocks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been waiting to see if anyone would think the same as me. From the first I have felt these were original stocks that had been reworked. STOCKER and REELMAN feel the same. I cant be sure from the photos though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Matte is standard but I don't think that the grain of that receiver finish is the same as original matte.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Grunt_0351
There BSA, I changed the title for you

Good deal about changing your wording of "bubba'd rifles". However, I agree with winchester poor as they aren't worth 7 grand to me either. More like $4-$5k tops...Unless they are coming from a highly regarded/sought after smith. Examples: Leonard Brownell, Weibe, Biesen, Merker or anyone associated with the American custom gunmakers guild...

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stocker
I would have to have those rifles in hand to be sure , but; my first thoughts are those may be the original stocks that have been re-worked. The curved top line at the receiver front ring are typical of original stocks. The bottom line of the butts may have been reduced to make the pistol grip stand proud at the bottom to allow a new grip cap to stand alone. I have seen this done and done it myself and that's how they look afterwards. The original checkering may have been removed and re-cut in skip line. Again, I would have to hold them for examination to be sure. The work was well done. They appear to have a new matte metal finish on the receivers. So, they are not collector pieces for sure. If the bores are very good they might just be fine hunting rifles. I wouldn't consider more than 2500.00-3000.00 for the pair if the bores are bright and fine. And, I would enjoy the heck out of them as hunters and if possible re-cut the checkering to remove the skip lines. All depends if the wide lines are exactly double the normal cut lines to allow eliminating them.

This sort of comment is a real problem with honest people attempting to sell desirable rifles and it is, sadly, all too common where such aspects of our sport are concerned.

I would like to SEE this pair offered in BC, for the $2500-$3000.00 mentioned above, that is simply [bleep] ludicrous. I have bought and sold and used P-64-70s since 1968, owned 43 to date and currently own a dozen very nice specimens, 10 originals and two "customs".

I HAVE a pair much like this, a .300 in 95% original finish, hardly used and a .375 which has only the double-bolted replacement stock, unfinished wood, that WW supplied as so many stocks, especially in magnums cracked in the action mortise between the trigger and mag. box, and in 93% original condition, both with pristine bores.

I had matching Borden-Rimrock synthetics installed by one of the two BEST men in BC, both did and may still do the synthetic-stocked rifles for BC/Canada's premier gunmaker, Ralf Martini, and these rifles are gorgeous and they SHOOT. I have Talley QD bases on one and Leupy QRWs on the other and lots of fresh components, dies, etc, for both.

I want to sell these, three of my four Alaskan .338s, my Fwt. 30-06, my "Westerner" .264WM and maybe my pair of Fwt.-.270s. I have had them at the finest gunshop in Vancouver, but, this is not the "guntown" it was in my youth and most customers of gunstores here now are Asians and "Wannabes" who spend thousands of $$$$ on "black guns" and "rifles" such as the Tikka T3s......

I would consider someone "offering" me $3000.00 for these as an insult and would either just laugh or tell such a character to GFY...and, back that with whatever seemed necessary at the time. Rifles, like these are VERY,VERY hard to find, my buddy sold a nice, not completely mint Alaskan .338 about a year and a half ago for $2800.00 and I would not expect to find one in 90% or better condition for much if any less.

I cannot tell from photos, but, as these rifles, only, sit, I would consider $4-5K, about right for the pair and mine will NOT leave home for that figure. "Lowballing" on the internet actually hurts all of us and is not going to make "sweet deals" available to anyone, it just confuses legitimate buyers and sellers.

I also think the stocks are reworks, this was commonplace back in the day and often done by locals with more "wishin & hopin" than real skill. These look OK, but, detract from the value of a pair that in original condition and showing minimal wear as depicted would be well worth the 7K asked....they ain't making more of them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I posted $1000/1500 for each rifle. I made sure to write "what I would pay".

Every once and a while I'll see for sale or hear about someone paying a +/-$1000 for a similar condition 300. Which is a good deal, but it still happens.

As for the 375, I put $1500 because I really don't have a use for one and if I could get it for that I'd try it out. Last week there was one for sale on here for 2 grand, with a well used original stock. It seemed to get a lot of fan fair but I don't recall it selling. Also the op said the barrels have been reblued so I knocked a couple bucks off.

I'm sure rifle's in 90%+ condition would sell for quite a bit more. I don't mean any disrespect to those who own the rifles. Its just one mans opinion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just spent a few minutes looking for similar rifles for sale online. There's a 375 with a really rough stock with a gun broker buy it now for 2300. Then there's another that might have been rebarreled on the cabelas site for $1999.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My post was not directed at your comments, I was specific on where I live and prices here.

There are extreme exceptions to any aspect of this, on the weekend just past, I saw a Kreighoff Teck O/U combo in 9,3x74R-12ga. VERY nice original shape and with modern claw mount bases sell for $1850 shipped, CDN, here in Canada.

Research, what that gun costs new and the average selling price of a 90% one in today's admittedly "soft" market for classic guns and see what I mean.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,306
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.