-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ive been seeing positive reviews of both.which is the campfire consensus better budget rifle?
Im leaning toward the Ruger because I can get the boy a 243.

Im home sick with the flu,and bored.

Last edited by fluffy; 10/22/13.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ruger would be my choice, based on not owning either, but on the fact that I plan to purchase one soon.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Do not own either but several of the gun shops locally have praised the Ruger when I asked about it. It has also gotten some pretty good press.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ruger American. Damn fine rifle for the money. Better than quite a few for more money.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
the 783 got a favorable review in the nov issue of the rifleman.

I almost bought my son an american last year,but let him use my cz 527 in 223 with barnes tsx bullets instead,but would like to see him carry a larger caliber.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sorry to hear you are dealing with the flu.

Like Steelhead, I have not owned either, but I have handled both, and without being able to tell you why, point by point, I like the ruger much better.

I don't own a Ruger right now, mainly because I can't make up my mind, but also because I've had a few irons in the fire lately.

I'm without a 7mm/08 right now, and that is rare for me. I initially wanted one in a 243 just for a truck gun/backup.

This year they brought out a 22-250, which I would like to play with as well.

Apparently I don't do well with too many options on a menu. smile

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That 783 could very well be a diamond in the rough much like the 788 was.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fluffy
the 783 got a favorable review in the nov issue of the rifleman.

I don't recall the last time I saw ANYTHING get a poor review much less a critical one in American Rifleman...
The 710 got good reviews too, and they are pretty universally considered to be chitty.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Marlin X7. The 783's I saw seemed to have a very light finish of sorts on it and one I saw even seemed to have the start of rust on it (at a Scheel's). I thought, I'd have to have it refinished (duracoat, etc). The stock is better IMO than the Ruger's stock. The ruger's stock is flimsy to me, but finish a little better. Not sure how it's mag will work out long term. I have an X7 and the bluing is good, stock fairly good for a synthetic, and my only complaint is the machining in non-critical spots is not too polished. Over all the X7 is a fine budget rifle.

BTW the 783 trigger is the same trigger the X7s have, with a very poor renaming job slapped on it.

Of the two you're asking about, I'd probably go Ruger.

Last edited by NTG; 10/22/13.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How about a used rifle like a 700 or 70 or 77 rather than a new pos?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Ruger American in .308 Win. It is an honest sub MOA rifle.

Sam......

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Sorry to hear you are dealing with the flu.

Apparently I don't do well with too many options on a menu. smile

Yep, on both counts.

Retired cat herder.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'd second looking for a good, used 700 recommendation or a Howa1500 (or it's twin the Vanguard) new or used. All a step above the X7, 783, or American, IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't speak to the Remington but I have an American in .243 and am very pleased with it. It feeds well and is nice and light. I appreciate the ergonomics of the stock, the pistol grip is well shaped. The trigger on mine breaks cleanly at a very consistent 3 lbs 2 ounces. Three shot groups will go sub-moa, sometimes very sub-moa, and I posted some 7 shot groups that went just under and a touch over one inch, this with three different loads.

Lots of fancier pieces around but for a "take it out of the box and shoot it" rifle it's a good value for the money.

As to comparisons with other rifles, I looked at some of the ones mentioned and still chose the Ruger, mostly on ergonomics. Some others were heavier or the stocks felt bulkier, the Ruger's very slender stock felt the best in my hands. Other folks may prefer the feel of other rifles.

Since it so inexpensive I plan to shoot the crap out of this one and burn out the barrel, then just buy another one for less than the cost of buying and installing a new barrel on another rifle.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ruger American over the 783.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by fluffy
Ive been seeing positive reviews of both.which is the campfire consensus better budget rifle?
Im leaning toward the Ruger because I can get the boy a 243.

Im home sick with the flu,and bored.

Having not gotten past the aesthetically obnoxious lozenge shaped bolt knob, I've not looked into the 783. Just as well since my .308 RAR fills the inexpensive, foul weather hunting rig niche in my armory . Other than not simpatico with any Hornady bullet I've tried so far, my RAR shoots dang good with several Nosler bullets, 155 gr Berger VLDs, 155 gr Scenars and Barnes 130 gr TSX. Predominantly Sub MOA 3 shot groups but is prone to open up to 1-1.5 MOA for 5 shots.

One problem with the RAR that has cropped up recently is with extra magazines. The magazine that came with the rifle works flawlessly. I bought a spare magazine and the second and third round occasionally hangs up in the magazine. I notified Ruger CS and they promptly sent a replacement magazine. That one also hangs up the second and third round but not as often. Perhaps the spare magazines will become more reliable with use.

It may be (or maybe not) notable that the original magazine has a smaller polymer paddle/cartridge lifter whereas the two spare magazines have a slightly larger aluminum paddle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.