Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Plinker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looking for suggestions on selecting a dog by attitude and temperament. How do you go about selecting a dog?

Gary

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Just love and blind faith.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get along quite well with most dogs. They all seem to like me for some reason. It's been that way since I was a kid. So, I end up having to pick the dog.

I've found that different stages in my life have called for different personality types with dogs.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I set by the bitch and wait for a pup to come to me, if it stays and finds me interesting then that is the one I pick, provided it is a bitch.

Don't take anyone with you, no wife, no kids...unless the pup is for them.

I prefer the pup to have opened it's eyes recently, and when travelling home I have the pup sleep on my dirty work clothes, same in it's bed at home.
Same system if the pup is for another member of the family.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

If the temperament is acceptable, I let the dog pick me/us.

I've said it before, I've had many dogs and have never had more loyal dogs than adopted dogs who appreciate their new safe home.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's just like when ya met your wife, Ya just knew she was the right one for you.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The dog I have now was the runt of the litter and the last dog. He was just a sweetie from the first. I held him on the way home. That night I slept in my recliner with him laying on my chest so he could smell me and smell my breath. When he stirred I took him outside. We've bonded well. For the runt he's a 100 pound yellow lab and still a sweet heart.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
P
Plinker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, guys. I knew I came to the right place to ask. cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One suggestion I have heard is, take a small ball when you visit the litter of pups - a ball of appropriate size for the pups in question. Toss it a short distance and see if one of the litter will get it and bring it to you. That's a dog who wants to please.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

P
Plinker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good one, Tex. I'll do that. Another thing I heard is to roll the pup on his back and scratch under his throat. If he fights it, pass. If he is passive, he's good.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can tell you from sad experience that a friendly, curious pup can still turn out to be a total disaster. I want a lot more info than that about them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like to watch how the pup moves. Whether or not their legs move in an efficient manner. I speak with the owner and ask their opinion of the pups. I handle them all and get a feel for the relative weight and build of each. Then I pick the cutest one.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You adopt children. You buy a dog.

I'm better when I move.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You pick but it's still a bit of a crapshoot.... I've seen dogs that were clearly timid and had issues eventually come around over time. This can be incredibly satisfying. I've seen others that seemed to have all of the right stuff never produce what you expect in the end. The most important thing of course is often what you do with them once they come home.

The best book I ever read by far was about pointing labs. Even if your dog isn't a hunter or a pointer or a lab, I highly recommend it. Hell, many of the concepts have helped me raise my children!

Last edited by Blackbrush; 10/24/13.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by NH Hunter

If the temperament is acceptable, I let the dog pick me/us.

I've said it before, I've had many dogs and have never had more loyal dogs than adopted dogs who appreciate their new safe home.

Been exactly my experience as well

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Plinker
Looking for suggestions on selecting a dog by attitude and temperament. How do you go about selecting a dog?

Gary

I make an appointment with a reputable breeder, tell them what I want, take out cash from the savings, buy dog, and start training.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NH Hunter

Totally agree! Wife and I have had nine rescued dogs and they've all been amazingly loyal. Our last adoptee is a senior citizen German Shepherd from the local Humane Shelter. He's 14 and had a lot of medical problems when we got him, but he's an absolute joy and such a sweet old gentleman. But, there is no doubt that he'd gladly give his last breath to serve or save me, if needed.

When choosing a pup, I try to look for one that's not necessarily the most aggressive/rambunctious one, but not a shrinking violet either. And I do the roll-over test, mentioned above, also. It's ok if you have to do it slowly, as long as they eventually will trust and submit to you.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You know when you know. Dogs are like kids, they thrive on attention and love. Positive reinforcement does wonders for both.

5 months old when she picked us at the shelter. There ain't a mole/squirrel/armadillo safe in her yard.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not sure what this ones role is, but I'd not want to be a thing going after mommy. He was 8 weeks old when we got him from the shelter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've always let the dog pick me. I've always felt my dog would know me before I know it.

11b b4.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Plinker

Gary

I make an appointment with a reputable breeder, tell them what I want, take out cash from the savings, buy dog, and start training.

Travis

^ This. Pick a professional breeder who is active in the breed and knows something about genetics. Look at the parents. best thing to do is look at dogs from prior litters of the same parents if possible. get references. don't pinch pennies. Then again, ignore all the above is all you want is a yard mutt or something to fill empty space under the kitchen table smile.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1OntarioJim, 222ND, 1badf350, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 2500HD, 58 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,906
Posts18,518,578
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.