Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by canoetrpr
Is it really true that you folks are deboning the animal in what sounds like 10s of minutes at most rather than field dressing and taking the whole animal out to butcher elsewhere?

I don't think someone could debone one in 10s of minutes, but last year in thirty minutes SlipSinker and I took one from freshly killed to quartered and in packs in 30 minutes, using the gutless method.

You guys might consider bringing this guy along with you next time. He can debone one in 8 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to say that is very impressive..I guess its a skill that gets picked up after a lot of practice..Me? I am just glad its called "butchery"!! grin

Edited to add, I've never tried handling a carcass with one of those hooks, but every time I see one in use, they strike me as being very handy..

Last edited by Pete E; 10/23/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krp
Hide on is disaster here, other places may vary?

Wife and I were driving home Sun from camp and a truck loaded with camp and a whole cow unskin't, just gutted thrown on top. About 75 degrees where we were and getting lower toward Phoenix where it was 90.

Unless he just killed it and was running it to the butcher fast, that was one nasty critter and I've seen plenty like that.

kent

Thats why they invented barbecue sauce grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Holy crap! Does that guy ever know what he's doing!

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Duplicate post sorry

Last edited by canoetrpr; 10/23/13.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's all in having the right tools...and knowing exactly where every joint and muscle is is a tool.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody using a Wyoming saw? I used a Cabela's gift cert to buy one 7-8 yrs ago and have never used it.

I gut and haul to the deer processor.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't use one, even if I didn't just 'gut and haul'.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
Hide on is disaster here, other places may vary?

Wife and I were driving home Sun from camp and a truck loaded with camp and a whole cow unskin't, just gutted thrown on top. About 75 degrees where we were and getting lower toward Phoenix where it was 90.

Unless he just killed it and was running it to the butcher fast, that was one nasty critter and I've seen plenty like that.

kent

Oregon plates?

JEFF-O?

Kiddin'.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Please explain

NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
a hatchet is faster..... the only use for a saw in the back country is for firewood IMO.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get you.

Either would be in a pack and brought out as needed so guess I could take both and try them out.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and you can't make, or drive tent stakes with a saw.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Anybody using a Wyoming saw? I used a Cabela's gift cert to buy one 7-8 yrs ago and have never used it.

I gut and haul to the deer processor.

Mike

I use the big one for elk if I'm going to quarter it. We have a regular butcher saw at camp, bone out I use a small filet knife.

So it depends and we get 5 to 10 elk a year, so the saw gets used some by someone.

I have a small one also but it seldom sees action... if I can actually find it when needed.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Just grilled some round steaks while grinding the chunks from the elk.

Zero gamey taste, about as tender as a cattle sirloin, which is good for round. Tasted fantastic.

High shoulder DRT, no tracking time so field dressed 10 mins after, quartered/bagged to get it out, skin off in less than an hour. hung in the shade 30/60 degrees wrapped in sheets, butchered day four.

Typical example of our group here in Az.

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I carry a Sierra saw but I only use it for cutting off antlers if I'm a ways from the road. If I'm close enough to the road to carry out the whole head, I have a battery recip saw that's much faster.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For deer, I carry a Sagen saw to split the pelvis and the sternum. Splayed out the carcass cools faster which never hurts even though it's in the low 40's or colder here.

Otherwise it's gut in the field and let the coyotes etc. dispose of it. If we can't drive to the carcass it's a short drag and into a garage or shed to hang for a couple days at least, then skinned and boned out. So I can't speak to cutting one up in the field.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
From my own experiences with boning in the field over the last 20+ years, I'm convinced that boning before the carcase stiffens up will make the meat much tougher, sometimes too tough to chew. I've done them gutless many times and it's the easiest way to do it but for the most tender meat I like to gut and skin to get them cool, then wait at least a couple hours before boning, preferably overnight if there's minimal bear or wolf danger in the field.

I've gone back over the toughest meat I've shot as far back as I can remember and every one of them was boned immediately after being shot. I can remember 2 moose and an elk that were the classic all time toughest animals ever shot, both boned immediately after being killed. The best ones were left to cool before boning. Last year I got both a large mulie buck and a cow elk in the evening. I gutted both & skinned the elk in the field and boned them out the next morning for packing out. Both were VERY tender.

Very interesting. Do others notice this as well; that meat de-boned in the field is tougher?

I am a cattle rancher and our butcher kills, guts and hangs the carcass for ~14 days in his locker. I don't know if it is skinned when he hangs it; suspect it is. The results are very tender meat.

Didn't expect that boning immediately vs the next day would make so much of a difference.

I skin and quarter big game in the field whether I can get to them with a vehicle, horse or foot--it's easier that way im my experience. If I have to backpack them out, or if the weather is warm and they need to go into a ice chest for transporting a long ways, then I bone 'em out.

Im surprised at Rock Chuck's experience too--I can't recall a difference in the tenderness of the meat when boning immediately vs waiting a day.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
From my own experiences with boning in the field over the last 20+ years, I'm convinced that boning before the carcase stiffens up will make the meat much tougher, sometimes too tough to chew. I've done them gutless many times and it's the easiest way to do it but for the most tender meat I like to gut and skin to get them cool, then wait at least a couple hours before boning, preferably overnight if there's minimal bear or wolf danger in the field.

I've gone back over the toughest meat I've shot as far back as I can remember and every one of them was boned immediately after being shot. I can remember 2 moose and an elk that were the classic all time toughest animals ever shot, both boned immediately after being killed. The best ones were left to cool before boning. Last year I got both a large mulie buck and a cow elk in the evening. I gutted both & skinned the elk in the field and boned them out the next morning for packing out. Both were VERY tender.

Very interesting. Do others notice this as well; that meat de-boned in the field is tougher?

I am a cattle rancher and our butcher kills, guts and hangs the carcass for ~14 days in his locker. I don't know if it is skinned when he hangs it; suspect it is. The results are very tender meat.

Didn't expect that boning immediately vs the next day would make so much of a difference.

I skin and quarter big game in the field whether I can get to them with a vehicle, horse or foot--it's easier that way im my experience. If I have to backpack them out, or if the weather is warm and they need to go into a ice chest for transporting a long ways, then I bone 'em out.

Im surprised at Rock Chuck's experience too--I can't recall a difference in the tenderness of the meat when boning immediately vs waiting a day.

Casey

I'm glad you said that. I was afraid to get jumped on for saying it. I bone out in the field, and it seems tender to me. Haven't you guys ate the backstraps at camp during the hunt? Was it bad?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How soon after the kill do you bone them? Immediately, after a few hours, or the next day? Its been my experience that waiting at least a few hours, until they're good and stiff, makes a lot of difference.

― George Orwell

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.