Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
MD,

I know you are speaking tongue in cheek, but seriously, what percent of 150 gr 30-06 rounds do you think will be used this season that will best 2962 fps? I'm betting a very small one. The 308 is a cool cartridge fo sho.

bludog

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shootem,

Yeah, but that's with the ultra-fast .30-06! Not with the "moderate" .308....

grinnin':)....Yeah, thought about having that old BAR AI'd but afraid deer would just vaporize. The old 150gr bronze point is another deer destroyer. Slapped a couple with it out of the old 7.62x63 Magnum.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Those BP's can sure make a hole! Once worked for a rancher who told me they were "designed for bears." He never explained how or why, but then he had many strange ideas about firearms and ammunition. He had never shot a bear, seen anybody shoot a bear, or even seen a bear outside of Yellowstone Park.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Dusty246
Easy 2800 fps with 48 gr. of 748 and CCI250s out of my 22" BAR. A bolt rifle can throw in more powder no problem. Very accurate and pretty tough bullet from my newspaper tests.

48-50g in my Remingtons, 2900 fps

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They work on things bigger than whitetails too. I use them on red stags out of .308's and .30/06's, and they have always done the trick. I usually will shoot through the shoulder and no problem dropping stags on the spot. This is at 2800fps out of a .308 and 2930fps out of my .30/06.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This load is a match made in Heaven for whitetails. I load it with a one-grain-less-than-max charge of Varget. The buck my wife killed with it from 200 yards last year died instantly. She pulled the shot and hit him in the pelvis, almost completely destroying both hind quarters. The meat cutter said he never saw such damage, and he sees a lot of shot deer! I suggest keeping them in the shoulder or ribcage to maximize the freezer venison.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shootem
Not saying you lose a lot of meat. But with factory 30-06 Hornady loads I shot quite a while back the rib cages would have holes a couple of inches wide on each side. Matter of fact I've seen holes in the hide on one or two that were inch and a half or so with overhead valves and pushrods hanging out. It's a deadly bullet.

More than likely the rib bones making the damage.

150sp Horns or Rem Cor'loc 150s...can't think of a better whitetail bullet out of the 308.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ruger270man
How would this bullet perform out of a .308 Remington 700 sps 24" factory barrel for whitetails? What would its maximum performance distance be? Thanks for any & all info.

One of the best whitetail bullet you could use in the 308, except i prefer the 165 gr over the 150's in the 30 cal

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Shot a decent blacktail with a 150 hornady out of a 308, range was perhaps 35 yards, facing me. Found the perfectly expanded bullet right between the hams, after he did a 20 yard dash! Shot several other deer (blacktails and mule deer), all with predictable results. Others have already talked about the suggested minimum velocity for expansion.
You would be good to go with that bullet.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I know many folks worship at the church of Nosler, or preach the gospel of Barnes, but I'm really a Hornady believer. I think they make quality, accurate, effective bullets that are premium without the price tag. And I've never had a problem getting various Hornadys to shoot very well in many calibers and cartridges, including handguns. I'm biased toward c/c for hunting with non-magnum cartridges, and I think no one does it better than Hornady, though Sierra and Nosler do c/c just as well, in my experience. In my father's handloading world, Sierras and Nosler Solid Base were for deer, Partitions and Hornady spitzers were for elk.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How far, or how close? Don't get me wrong, I really like(d) the bullet but decided to try one of these super duper shoulder shots - they're all the rage you know - to put one right down. Maybe 35 yards broadside, medium blacktail, yep sure enough, DRT. Thought nothing was afoul until skinning, absolute horror movie carnage, bloodshot disaster, a sad pitiful waste of meat, black goo all along both sides, just a mess in every direction top to bottom. Really - absolutely totally blown all to hell. The 300 Savage is just too hot for the Hornady, LOL.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Personally, I try to stay off the shoulder when shooting deer. Never found it did the meat any good. Less of an issue with moose in my small sampling, but I suspect that has to do with their mass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago, back on shooters.com, one of y'all answered the questions of a newbie reloader trying to load some 30-06 for the first time. Y'all pointed me towards Hornady 165's and 150's. I have 8 30-something rifles now that I'm loading for-- mine and my sons.

Depending on the rifle, they all shoot either the 150 grain Hornady, the 165 grain Hornady, or the 150 grain Rem PSPCL. They all produce the same good performance on whitetail from 10-200 yards. I do not think you could make a better choice?

150 or 165? I don't think the deer know the difference, but I have transitioned to the 150 wherever possible, just because they're a bit cheaper. Some of my rifles just seem to like the 165 better.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Matter of fact I've seen holes in the hide on one or two that were inch and a half or so with overhead valves and pushrods hanging out

Now that's funny!! grin

Load smart. Load safe. Triple check everything. Never use load data from the 'net without checking against known, pressure tested load data. Typo's happen!!

Genius has limits; stupidity does not
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've killed deer and hogs with a max load of Varget and a 150 grain Hornady SP's. 100 yards was my furthest shot, but it had no problems. I hit steel out to 400 with them in practice, and I'd not hesitate to shoot a deer at that range with them.

TANSTAAFL
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Those BP's can sure make a hole! Once worked for a rancher who told me they were "designed for bears." He never explained how or why, but then he had many strange ideas about firearms and ammunition. He had never shot a bear, seen anybody shoot a bear, or even seen a bear outside of Yellowstone Park.

Clearly he "contributes" his info right here to the fire then. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oregontripper
How far, or how close? Don't get me wrong, I really like(d) the bullet but decided to try one of these super duper shoulder shots - they're all the rage you know - to put one right down. Maybe 35 yards broadside, medium blacktail, yep sure enough, DRT. Thought nothing was afoul until skinning, absolute horror movie carnage, bloodshot disaster, a sad pitiful waste of meat, black goo all along both sides, just a mess in every direction top to bottom. Really - absolutely totally blown all to hell. The 300 Savage is just too hot for the Hornady, LOL.

Tripper, maybe you ought to try slowing them down a bit. I bet they wouldn't do as much damage if you started them at about 2500 fips, and 150 yards would still be well within MPBR. If that doesn't work for ya, try the 6.5x55 with 140 grainers at around 2500 fips. It does less damage but still plants deer when shoulder-shot. This is personal experience talkin'.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
308 Winchester is the cake & the 150 Interlock is the icing. My preferred Whitetail whacker.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

You'll miss, unless you have a really good rifle. crazy

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 33 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.