Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

It's pretty reliable. The first major storm of the year, in our area, hits on Halloween night. This drives the elk out of the high country and they concentrate in the foothills. The current weather forecast is for snow on Tuesday and Wednesday in our hunting grounds. I hope that there will be enough snow to accomplish the desired effect. We will be hauling and caching stuff on Thursday and backpack into camp on Friday. The season starts on Saturday.

Anticipation is a great emotion.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm headed in friday also..how much snow are they predicting ?

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

No snow fall predictions yet. Just predicting two days of snow showers. Doesn't sound like too much. Maybe more info as we get closer.

However we don't need that much because 6" of snow at 9,000' can mean 12" at 11,000' and that's enough to make it difficult for them to graze.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KC

No snow fall predictions yet. Just predicting two days of snow showers. Doesn't sound like too much. Maybe more info as we get closer.

However we don't need that much because 6" of snow at 9,000' can mean 12" at 11,000' and that's enough to make it difficult for them to graze.

KC

and I like that!!!! Bring 'em down close to camp! KC are you bringing a pulk - I've a kids sled that may work?!?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We got about 8" right at the start of 1st rifle. It did not appear to me to cause the elk to move. I ran into the most elk right below timberline. Could have been some that started their way down I suppose.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe 2 to 3 feet and going to stay awhile would move them down but even then not all of the elk would come down. Some stay until the snow is 4 to 5 feet deep.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
snake & prm:

Yeah. Yeah. I know. Wishful thinking on my part.

KC

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
1ElkHunter:

No reason for a sled. Even if we get some snow, it will be gone in a few days. The snow won't be reliable enough to use a sled for another month or so.

I am concerned about getting over Monarch Pass. They're predicting snow just when we will be going over the pass. Once when I was at the top, I had to stop and wait in the parking lot of that gift store because the visibility was so bad.

KC

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good luck to you KC. Sorry I got banged up and we couldn't put something together.

Vince

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Vince:

How are the ribs? Get well soon.

KC

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Good Luck! Wish I was elk hunting this year..

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing but clear weather and maybe a little rain predicted for Buford/Meeker. Looks like we're going to have to dig them out of the trees.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just returned from a 2nd rifle season trip to the West Elk Wilderness area near Somerset CO. Earlier in the week, we hunted in 12" of snow and deeper in the higher elevations. Monarch Pass was clear when we came through late Thursday evening�.but, what a difference a couple of days can make. Good luck!

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If there's reliable intel RE: a hefty storm coming in to GMU54, I'm packing snowshoes!!!

I know, only the Few, the Proud, the Brave, the _____ bring snowshoes to ELK CAMP - count me in the last category there grin

We're getting soooooo close to D:EH-Day (Departure: Elk Hunting) - 2 days and a wake up!!!

I haven't been this excited since my ETS date back in 1989 (OK, getting married and seeing my 2 kids birth was pretty exciting too, but otherwise.....).

So, I'm just about set to go. I only have a few simple things yet to do:
1) sight in my new scope (other scope experienced an epic last-minute failure so I had to replace - THANK YOU CABELA's)
2) buy 15 more boxes of ammo (see #1 above) 'cause I don't shoot so good blush
3) buy some gourmet food (gotta keep my elk-huntin' Professor/Mentor KC well-fed!!!!)
4) buy/recharge AA batteries for GPS
5) find my map and compass.....
6) sort(find?)/decide on/pack my camping gear
7) sharpen my knives (find them????)
8) finish 2 last work projects (which are predominantly out of my control)
9) stitch my ELK TAG TO MY FOREHEAD crazy

and then I'LL BE ELK HUNTING!!!!!!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Go get 'em! I usually have my elk hunting stuff packed in, oh...July!? I get just a little excited.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm
I usually have my elk hunting stuff packed in, oh...July!? I get just a little excited.

prm:

I have to admit to experiencing the same affliction. I am going on four hunts this year. So I started sorting and packing gear a couple of months ago. Three weeks ago, I mailed a couple of foot lockers full of gear and nonperishable food to our Kodiak bush pilot. I've already completed the Wyoming speed goat hunt and I still have three more hunts. I am now ready to walk out the door for the elk hunt.

KC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KSalonek and I just got back from Hunting area 15 northwest of Kremmling. We were hunting about 9,500 -10,00 feet. Eight inches of fresh snow on opening morning and there were no elk at all, when there had been lots 4 weeks earlier when we scouted. They had completely moved out. I walked a huge circle around our area and not one fresh track. They either moved from the pressure of first rifle or had prematurely headed towards wintering grounds. It was petty hot the last two days up there, so I think treeline will be good for you.

Good luck!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
On the WY border this past weekend, they were still up high, saw a hundred head or so at the tops of the mountains. Had a buddy get one at 12,200 feet south west of Denver, well above treeline.

Keep Smiling

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (325wsm1, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,652 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.