Print Thread
Hop To
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ive hunted antelope in wyoming two years in a row now and I'm still confused on the road closures. I used a gps with the wyoming hunting map loaded so we always knew where we were. There were roads marked as closed for access to hunting(I assume oil & gas) that crossed private land but entered huntable land farther in. We never used these roads instead we hiked into those areas using all the adjoining blocks of BLM and state lands, but there were a lot of hunters using these roads to croos private land. Is it common for hunters in wyoming to ignore these "access closed" signs or are the signs not legal? I'll have to do more research because I'm hooked on antelope and will definately be going back.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A couple things happen a lot in WY.

Ranchers and other private land owners put up signs indicating that roads are a "private road" when the truth is the road is public. This is done as a bluff to the majority of people who will read the sign, assume its true, and move on. It's a common game.

The other thing is that due to there being so few officers spread out over such a big area enforcement of valid trespass complaints is spotty in many areas and almost nonexistent in others. This leads to people (usually not locals) going anywhere they damn please with no regard for a landowner's property rights.

Do your homework ahead of time and know what's public and what's private. Then if you are challenged by someone who claims you are on their property, and it's likely to happen, you are on firm legal ground. (no pun)
I say this from the point of view of a landowner who has seen both sides of the issue. I won't have trespassing but I hate the game some landowners play in order to bluff people off public land.

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys"........P.J. O'Rourke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've seen the same thing happen and I asked a game warden about it.

He said if the road was maintained by federal, state or county funds(ie public) it couldn't be legally closed by a landowner. However, if it was maintained by the landowner (ie a two track leading off a county road) than it was his road and his digression.

I think a good GPS is really a help when dealing with these situations.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bullcamp pretty much nailed it.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
To address what oldslowdog said, there are county maintained roads in my county that ranchers have "posted" as private roads and have also strung fences across the road a short distance down from the intersection with the main county road.

I'm sure this practice is illegal but getting something done about it depends on the influence the land owner has in the particular county. I wouldn't recommend going through or around such an illegal fence or damaging it in any way. Some of these guys have been getting away with this stuff for years and in their minds they are in the right. Ugly stuff could happen.

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys"........P.J. O'Rourke
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have encountered a cattle feedlot extended across a township road in an attempt to keep people off public access land in SD. I drove through the cattle feedlot anyway as it was dry, the rancher on his 4-wheeler "greeted" me before I got through the gate on the opposite side.
I politely told him I knew that this was a public right-of-way and proceeded on my way... he told me to find a different way out, I did, but it was an unmaintained two track and I was probably trespassing.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mod7rem
Ive hunted antelope in wyoming two years in a row now and I'm still confused on the road closures. I used a gps with the wyoming hunting map loaded so we always knew where we were. There were roads marked as closed for access to hunting(I assume oil & gas) that crossed private land but entered huntable land farther in. We never used these roads instead we hiked into those areas using all the adjoining blocks of BLM and state lands, but there were a lot of hunters using these roads to croos private land. Is it common for hunters in wyoming to ignore these "access closed" signs or are the signs not legal? I'll have to do more research because I'm hooked on antelope and will definately be going back.

If it is an oil/gas road and the intersection is located on private land, yes it can be closed. Many times the Game and Fish themselves, along with BLM and USFS close roads during hunting season.
Yes it's quite normal for folks to ignore road closed and foot traffic only signs and proceed along their merry little way. And it's also quite normal for GF and county sherriff to completely ignore trespass complaints even when detail on the vehicle is given right down to and including license plate number and vin number. It's also not unheard of for a summons to be issued via us mail or local authorities for such offense.
Any "landowner" that is purposely posting public roads/land is opening themselves up to loose any leases they may have on that land, so it's not done very often, and sometimes it's done by "sportsmen" attempting to keep some place to themselves.
Best if you are hunting someplace where there is a lot of private lands to have a GPS unit with the land ownership maps downloaded onto it.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
For sure on having the GPS unit. I've had to use mine a couple times when confronted and told I was on someone's private property.
Oops..... Guess I wasn't trespassing after all. Nice bluff though.
I've also used it to settle the issue of people who thought it was OK to trespass on me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.