Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Doesn't surprise me much.....I am surprised this doesn't happen more often.....I almost blasted two Huskies in prime wolf country.

LOLO � What appeared to be a white wolf threatening a Lolo resident�s horses on Sunday was really something else.

�It turned out to be a wolf-dog hybrid,� Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks wolf biologist Liz Bradley said on Wednesday. �It looked very wolfy, but it was neutered.�

The landowner shot and killed the dog after seeing it eyeing his horses Sunday morning. Bradley said she also got reports from a resident in Florence of a similar animal chasing her house cat up a tree.

�It�s a concern if somebody is releasing hybrids in the area,� she said. �Sometimes they can be more troublesome than wolves. They come a lot closer to people and can be dangerous.�

Bradley said she hadn�t had any other wolf incidents reported near homes in the Missoula or Bitterroot valleys this fall.

However, hunters have killed 12 wolves in FWP Region 2 since the 2013 season started on Sept. 15. The kills have been in the Bitterroot, lower Clark Fork River drainage and in the Blackfoot River drainage.

Statewide, hunters have taken 36 wolves this season. That number should grow rapidly when general big-game season opens Saturday.

In past seasons, most wolves have been shot by deer and elk hunters who encounter them by chance. Wolf hunting in Montana requires a $19, over-the-counter license.

Jayco

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Half wolf is close enough. Shoot the bastard if it doesn't have a collar.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
One of my sons friends just had an encounter with a whole pack after he pulled the trigger on a Bull Elk.The woods around him exploded in wolves running every where.He lost it and pulled out his .357 Mag and emptied it not hitting a single wolf or the Elk with his rifle.

Scared the holy crap out of him......If my shoulder was not dislocated and tied to my chest,I would be there now, and there still in the area with the Elk..Go figure.

Jayco

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd love to hunt wolves. It sounds like a good challenge.

What are the tags like? Can you only shoot one?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just got back from a week on the West Fork of Yankee Creek (unit 36). Saw and heard a ton of wolves but lots of elk also. One of the guides borrowed his clients rifle and filled his (the guides) wolf tag. I never got a shot at the wolves but did fill the bull tag.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I'd love to hunt wolves. It sounds like a good challenge.

What are the tags like? Can you only shoot one?

Res tags are like $11.50 and you can shoot 5 wolves with 5 tags,Non-res are like $32.00 or something like that,going off memory.

If you were in these parts I would give you the directions too....Don't care much who shoots 'em as long as they get shot.

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logcutter
One of my sons friends just had an encounter with a whole pack after he pulled the trigger on a Bull Elk.The woods around him exploded in wolves running every where.He lost it and pulled out his .357 Mag and emptied it not hitting a single wolf or the Elk with his rifle.

Scared the holy crap out of him......If my shoulder was not dislocated and tied to my chest,I would be there now, and there still in the area with the Elk..Go figure.

Jayco

If I got into a pack of wolves in that situation the last thing I would do is drop my rifle and pull a revolver. Why didn't he shoot (or shoot at) the wolves with his rifle? Even if it was a single shot the time it would take to get a new round in the chamber would be miniscule vs trying to hit running dogs with a revolver.

In any event, there was NO mistaking this one in 2009, which was less than 10 miles from Lolo.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
People do stupid things when they panic. A neighbor from back home was calling in coyotes claimed he had a pack of 20 come to the call. He emptied his mag over their heads. I'm thinking the pack was 6-10, but I wasn't there.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some people completely lose it when they get around game and they have a firearm. I used to live by a guy that worked for F&G and he had some crazy stories of people unloading on robo-deer/elk.

Once upon a time, I went target shooting with a co-worker. As I was driving down a gravel county road, he started screaming for me to stop. Before I could get pulled over he had the door open and was bailing out with a .22 pistol in his hands. While standing in the middle of the road he started blazing away at a flock of huns that were scurrying through the stubble and he even took some shoots at them on the fly. I was amazed and somewhat spooked at how this guy simply lost it at the sight of a flock of huns. I made sure that was the last time I went shooting with him.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

Jayco
Whats even more scary is people like him allowed in the bush with a gun.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
What's even funnier,is the amount of seasoned hunters that loose all thought when all the sudden they have 3 or more wolves in there face that appeared from no-where-within 10-20 feet..Not just one or two but several that never pulled the trigger as they ran bye...

Wolf fever maybe.

Jayco laugh

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wolves don't go after them when they run?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's more wild imaginations, than actual encounters. Just my guess.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I know I will have a tag in my pocket when I head to N. Idaho next month. Hoping to see one through my cross hairs

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4100fps
There's more wild imaginations, than actual encounters. Just my guess.

Sort of like my southern coworkers telling of wild panthers running amok down here. Laffin'

The furry critters, not the political group (grin)

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

If it is chasing game, or your livestock, shoot the bastard anyway.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Only time one has to "fear" wolves is if unarmed and /or in a troika. Then just throw someone overboard..... smile

The time I got surrounded and shadowed at 20 yards or less (on a FS trail thru thick brush) by a pack of 5 or 6, I considered myself to be dominate. 'course, I had a rifle in hand. If I hadn't, I'd have been up a tree and fug the dog! smile

I admire that November pelt every time I walk by it, hanging there on the wall.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by las

Absolutely.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's even funnier,is the amount of seasoned hunters that loose all thought when all the sudden they have 3 or more wolves in there face that appeared from no-where-within 10-20 feet..Not just one or two but several that never pulled the trigger as they ran bye...

Wolf fever maybe.

Jayco laugh

Last season two of them popped out on me at about 30 feet, only one left. This year one walked right past me at about 15 feet....I shot him at about 30 feet...we have no bag limit and no tags and no seasons to worry about here. ;-)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las

Absolutely.

+1

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 78 invisible), 3,599 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,635
Posts18,533,322
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.