Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Now when you guys bed, do you bed the entire action or just the recoil lug?

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Savage88
Just got a new rifle, Savage 111 .300 Win Mag, and I'm wondering what my next step should be. I'm wondering what you guys do once you get a new rifle. What mods, when, why, and anything else you guys do with/to them.

I will buy several types of ammo in different bullet weights and spend time at the bench. This allows me to sight in the scope, go through any barrel break-in procedures I choose to apply, look at how the rifle likes different makes of ammo and provides me with brass that has been fired in my rifle, all in one fell swoop.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd love to hear everyone's process after getting a new rifle!

Get rifle, add good scope and mounts(for what it's worth my .300 is sporting a Leupold 6x36 LRD in lapped Weaver Grand Slam rings) and go hunt stuff!!!! Yup that's my "process". By the way I don't like brakes...too f-ing loud.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If the plan is for a lot of long range work, you might think about taking it back and trading it for the Savage in 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Either would be a much more user friendly start into the long range world.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
.300 win mag will do the job just fine

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh it will be just fine at increased recoil, noise, and expense in comparison to the 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor, while giving absolutely no benefit.

If it's what you want, use it. But there are many better platforms and rounds out there for long range, as well as better options for a gun kids will enjoy.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
If the plan is for a lot of long range work, you might think about taking it back and trading it for the Savage in 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Either would be a much more user friendly start into the long range world.

Oh, let him shoot the big stuff. I know the trend is toward lighter rounds but some of us like to shoot more powerful stuff. Who knows, he may find himself in a situation where the .300 Win Mag is just what he needs.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If moose, brown bear, and eland are on the menu, go for it!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd love to hear everyone's process after getting a new rifle!

1. Check it for proper/safe function.
2. Pull it out of the stock and clean it up and swab the factory grease out of it.
3. Adjust the trigger to around 2.5-2.75 pounds.
4. Glass bed the action.
5. Mount a good set of rings (usually Talley lightweights) on it and scope it with MY desired optics (generally a "proven" scope).
6. Get some OAL measurements for every bullet I have on hand so I can start the load work-up process.
7. Load ammo and go shoot it..
8. Post pics of many sub moa groups shot on its first outing.
9. Done

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Now when you guys bed, do you bed the entire action or just the recoil lug?

I go from ~2" in front of the recoil lug all the way back.

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
All the way back to the recoil lug or ALL the way back around the entire action?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thank you for the support!!! I have smaller calibers and wanted something bigger, flatter, and well....bigger. And yes I do hunt the large animals and I'm going to Africa next year.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
If you need a brake to shoot the rifle, what you really need is a rifle chambered for a smaller cartridge.

This.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So to the guys that think they need to tell me what smaller caliber i need to get, even though my question had nothing to do with the caliber nor was it a caliber specific question.....And since you are ignoring my request, to keep your brilliant knowledge on what caliber is appropriate for ME, to yourself, what is your reasoning for the suggestion that i need to get a smaller caliber?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that, if you go back and read all of our suggestions without being an emotional wreck about it, you will find that muzzle brakes are gay.

G
G
The first thing I do with a new rifle(or used rifle) is take it out of the stock and clean it. Apply blue Loc-Tite to the screws on both the bases and rings and put it back together. Get an assortment of factory ammo. Go to the range and sight it in with factory ammo and see if the rifle shows a preference for any particular load or bullet weight. Some people glass bed the action before ever firing a shot, but I like to try it like it is first. No sense fixing something that may not be broken. A lot of Savage rifles do just fine out of the box. Good luck with it.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So you feel the need to be an ass because you don't like brakes?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks Gary

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Savage88,

Then I will probably get a brake on it. That's the plan so far.

Smart move. The only rifles I have without brakes are my .22 rimfires. Even my .22 centerfires have brakes. I don't understand the idea of getting rid of something you want to get something you don't want to satisfy others about a brake.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the support ringman! I don't understand why it matters to other guys on here what I like to do to my rifle. Don't they have there own to make to there liking?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (470Evans, 44mc, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,803 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.