Bergers? WAFJ!!!

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

The bears didn't charge because we killed them to quick. whistle

Can you tell us it would have been the SAME outcome IF the bear/s were charging??

add: Mr. Burns, I like you and have enjoyed your pics of game and L R shots.

BUT we're talking a different scenario here.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It may actually be easier to knock the stuffing out of a bear than a moose........if you hit them right the first time. Rarely see a moose try to turn things into a rodeo even when hit a bit less than ideally; can't really say the same for bears.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The more I think about it, 12 gauge Berger VLD sabots is the answer!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Seems that posting those ego-stroking hero pics kinda slowed down the Berger Bashing.

....hmmmmmm

grin

I'm sure those were close range, charging bears. whistle
Laffin...

Funny how real world experience beats guessing but I guess that is why you is Laffin. grin

So please inform us of your real world experience with bear charges and the appropriate bullet for such a task.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
a 308 with a vld no. A 300 ultra or 338 ultra, with a 230gr or 300gr vld ,although not my first choice, yes. Hard to argue with physics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When using burgers for bear defense, one need not be too picky about which specific burger to take. They all work well. However, I do use the White Castles when I can get them because they are smaller and lighter in weight (you can carry more units), and I am much less tempted to eat them while hunting than, say, quarter-pounders or butter burgers. In testing, bears showed a slight preference for whoppers, probably because of the burnt smell and all the mayo slathered mercylessly on both sides of the bun. One other advantage of whoppers is there is no chance they will be eaten in camp by the hunter or his partners.

The hard part of the burger defense is laying them out sequentially during the chase scene. There should be 10 feet of ground between them to slow the bear sufficiently, but in testing, most hunters just flopped the whole bag out in one pile at the start of the chase due to adrenaline and fear. One other mistake frequently made by hunters is stopping within the same zip code of the last burger drop to remove those dirty shorts, and then staying on the spot to puke before proceeding to the bar. While it may be socially unacceptable to enter a bar with dirty shorts and having the first 6 rounds before going to the can to change, it just might save your life. The trick is to inform the fellas at the bar that you are in bear retreat. Then they will understand the stench and cut you some slack. Sometimes the more understanding and experienced fellas will draw their own weapons and watch your back as you go to the can to change to make sure the bear didn't track you all the way to the bar. That is a rare occurrence, but there are at least two documented cases.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Seems that posting those ego-stroking hero pics kinda slowed down the Berger Bashing.

....hmmmmmm

grin

I'm sure those were close range, charging bears. whistle
Laffin...

Funny how real world experience beats guessing but I guess that is why you is Laffin. grin

That sure does help to keep you from getting chewed on.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice one!

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice one!

Thanks. Mine don't garner page after page of hilarious replies quite like, say, the Pubah, but it's the best I got. My boss is one of the very few that appreciate my sense of humor, thank goodness. We're both gearhead/egghead/electronic types. I just happen to groove on rifles. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too many around with NO sense of humor! Keep it up. smile

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The fmj comment got me thinking...a dab of superglue filling the nose of a berger ought to get it to act like a fmj. Or you could scratch an X on the bottom of it and it will act like a barnes.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail
A partition is never a bad idea.

Personally, I wouldn't hunt with any frangible bullet if there was a chance I might encounter something that would likely only be angered by being shot with one, but that's just me and my experiences.

There is your answer or carry a big bore revolver!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not much time to empty a clip when the bear is charging. Maybe 2 to 3 shots at the most.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I will chirp in here. I have been around many, many bears: Black, Brown, and Griz (haven't encountered a Polar or Growler yet). A Couple of these events have been at 10 yards!

I have also worked as a paramedic and have treated more than a handful of folk who were chewed on.

That being said, I have not been in a situation where I had to defend myself against a bear (not to say that others haven't; indeed I know of a few). It has been my experience that if the bear knows you are there, or if you talk at the bear if they don't, they will very expiditiously depart from your presence! Now, if they don't have a good way out, that may be right over the top of you!

If, perhaps you would need to defend yourself from a charging bear, it is doubtful that anything short of a 1 oz. 12ga. Brenake Slug will slow or stop the bear. You may kill it alright, but I am reminded of the quote on the film "Mountain Men" from the character Hatchet Jack... "this here Hawkin' kilt the bar that kilt me".

Be aware of your surroundings, be willing to back away from a situation, don't freak out if you see a bear and things will likely go well with you. Good luck.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Was NOT the movie, "Jeremiah Johnson"?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I too would like to hear about the bear charges Burns has stopped at 5 yards with Bergers.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's proprietary info Scott

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Originally Posted by jwall
Was NOT the movie, "Jeremiah Johnson"?

crazy Dang! You are correct!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I too would like to hear about the bear charges Burns has stopped at 5 yards with Bergers.

Originally Posted by RDFinn
That's proprietary info Scott

Am I being to hard on Lil Fish?? laugh I cut the line and he seemed to swim away fine.

I though Scott and I were beginning to bond here as of late. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (1Longbow, 2500HD, 1lesfox, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 28 invisible), 1,982 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,088
Posts18,501,767
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.