Page 212 of 229 1 2 210 211 212 213 214 228 229
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Western side of the Edwards Plateau?

Five miles south of ConCan, Texas, and six miles west of HWY. 83.

8 other old farts and I have a 1,700 acre pasture we lease on an annual basis.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Reminds me of some country I hunted once with a bud outside of San Angelo back in '92. USAF property and I was toting a borrowed 257 Roberts ala' Browning A-bolt micro medallion. I flattened a lil six point and I mean little compared to what I was accustomed to. My buddy said it was decent for there????? Good eating though. We seen some of those little pigs but couldn't get a shot on them as they were cagey and fast. I'm thinking a 12 ga and buckshot would have been ideal.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Went to my deer lease last Thursday. Got back a couple hours ago. First shower in 4 days. Felt good.
It�s rained so much and everything is so green, plus a bumper crop of acorns. Deer don�t even have to move. Just lay down in an oak mott and reach over and eat their fill.

Sat out morning and evening since Thursday only saw three deer, a doe and twin yearlings @ 250 yds or so.

[Linked Image]

Did get the chance to blood the 243 Win. on a hoglet. Perfect size �eater� for smoking whole.

[Linked Image]

Had a picture of this ol boy on the game cam.

[Linked Image]

Makes me think my decision to quit going after wounded hoglets in a ceder thicket, crawling on my hands and knees with a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other after fifty years of shooting and tracking might be a good decision. One of these days, my luck might just run out.

Got a chance to practice my �blurritude� with the phone on my camera this AM. Beautiful hill country sunrise�..

[Linked Image]

Sure do enjoy being �up top� and watching the birth of a new day.

Opening weekend of rifle season is only two weeks away, but I�m ready to go back tomorrow.

Best,
GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 10/20/13.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great post, as usual Gdub..

Keep 'em coming...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by geedubya
Went to my deer lease last Thursday. Got back a couple hours ago. First shower in 4 days. Felt good.
It�s rained so much and everything is so green, plus a bumper crop of acorns. Deer don�t even have to move. Just lay down in an oak mott and reach over and eat their fill.

Sat out morning and evening since Thursday only saw three deer, a doe and twin yearlings @ 250 yds or so.

Did get the chance to blood the 243 Win. on a hoglet. Perfect size �eater� for smoking whole.

[Linked Image]

Sure do enjoy being �up top� and watching the birth of a new day.

Opening weekend of rifle season is only two weeks away, but I�m ready to go back tomorrow.

Best,
GWB

Gee,

Me likey your .243 !! DIBS.

.243 is way betterer than that crass .223ai thingy.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'99's,

Perhaps use your Imagination and Pretend you've both...then dabble "particulars".

laffin'!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

Evenin� B

I'd heard you wuz' pretty good at follerin' sign.

Thought mebbe you'd lost the trail back to the greatest thread nevah!

See ya decided to stop by and piss on this thread once more.

Well it�s a great night for WAM�s, blue steel and wood.

[Linked Image]

might even indulge myself with a Martini��.

[Linked Image]

What the hey, I�m in a good enough mood to slum a synthetic

[Linked Image]

Or two

[Linked Image]

Ya� know what RLS sez,

[Linked Image]

Shame that with all that knowledge and experience you can�t seem to play well with others.

Oh well,

Quien Sabe as the Mexicans Say

As always,

Best,

GWB

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by geedubya
What the hey, I�m in a good enough mood to slum a synthetic

[Linked Image]

Gdub: is that a 1st gen Sendero you're slumming? what flavor?

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Larry,

Thank you, your advice was right, as usual !

Glad you talked me into using my .308, for my moose hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Worked, just about perfect, I'd say.

Paul.

Paul.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I�d be lying if I were to state that I knew whether it was a 1st. gen Sendero or not. I started collecting rifles back in the early nineties. IIRC, I picked this rifle up around �94 or �95.
I once had a circuit of pawn shops I�d haunt. I walked into one of my favorites one day and saw this heavy barreled black rifle with a humongous scope mounted on it. That was just about the time I was terribly afflicted with �magnumitis�. The rifle had been tricked a little. It had a Vais Brake and had been bedded. The scope was a Burris Signature 8x 32 x 50. The tag said it was a 7mm Magnum. The barrel had obviously been taken off, something done and replaced as the caliber stamp and roll marks were not in evidence. At this point I was very green (as in ignorant) when it came to rifles, however I knew enough to know that at a walkout price of $500, I was either getting the rifle or the scope free. So I bought it. I had just started reloading a couple years before and was not really that accomplished or knowledgeable. I didn�t know anybody that shot much or reloaded. Back then there was no internet. You could find an occasional VHS tape on reloading or buy a book.
Anyway I got a set of dies for the rifle and some 7mag brass powder and bullets and loaded up 20 or so.
Went out to shoot it. After the first shot I cycle the bolt and take a look at the brass. It looked like a flower opening up and ready to bloom. Well I had loaded per the Speer manual that came with the RCBS master reloading kit and knew I had not exceeded the load recommendations.
I shot a couple more with the same results. I was flabbergasted. What could I have done wrong.
Well to make a long story short, It turns out that whoever had owned the rifle before had had it rechambered to 7STW and had not bothered to mark or label the barrel. Once I figured that out and loaded up some 7STW rounds it turned out to be a shooter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And my go to load.
[Linked Image]

Had it now going on 20 years. I figure it�s a keeper.

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Paul,

Good stuff and great pix.

Perhaps I missed it while ogling a beavy of beauties.
Did you relate the story of that hunt?
If so, where?

Best,

GWB

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Paul.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have decided that a 25-06 is probably the best cal a fellow can use on SW GA whitetails.225# is tops on our deer and most of my shots are 150-250 yards. My go to truck gun-bad weather deer hammer has been a win coyote lite in 25 wssm that is super accurate for a factory gun, it duplicates the 25-06 ballistics, ammo is getting hard to find so I put in a 10 yr supply of 110 gr accubond Win black box ammo. I bought the gun on a fluke the year they came out and I guess I just got lucky on the accuracy, I also love the super X 120 gr pep loads but have not seen any in a few years. I probably have a couple dozen whitetails with the gun. Im thinking of taking a mid 50's featherweight in 270 that is somewhat a beater and building a 25-06 out of her, I have not shot the 270 yet, if it is a hummer I will leave it be..

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not good stuff,

great stuff.

Like WS, don't know how I missed it. Prolly gazing at pix of the fairer sex.

Sir, you do good work.

Best

GWB

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cheers & Thank you, Glenn.

Let's keep up the good work.

Paul.

Paul.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
I have decided that a 25-06 is probably the best cal a fellow can use on SW GA whitetails.225# is tops on our deer and most of my shots are 150-250 yards. My go to truck gun-bad weather deer hammer has been a win coyote lite in 25 wssm that is super accurate for a factory gun, it duplicates the 25-06 ballistics, ammo is getting hard to find so I put in a 10 yr supply of 110 gr accubond Win black box ammo. I bought the gun on a fluke the year they came out and I guess I just got lucky on the accuracy, I also love the super X 120 gr pep loads but have not seen any in a few years. I probably have a couple dozen whitetails with the gun. Im thinking of taking a mid 50's featherweight in 270 that is somewhat a beater and building a 25-06 out of her, I have not shot the 270 yet, if it is a hummer I will leave it be..

Wow.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wow x2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Now you guys be nice. Everything he said works well for him in his AO.

Boxer: there might be folks out there that think you are nutz for shooting deer with a .223AI. I personally find the concept mind-boggling.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sir,

I have never even seen a 223AI and have less than zero interest,in these flash in the pan Wildcat chamberings. I've far more constructive things to do with my time,than shoot fire form loads.

Coming full circle,I'd be amongst the last to advocate Stunt Shooting animals,with these Stunt Chamberings.

For me,Deer mandate a .30cal minimum and the SD of a 180 or better and preferably a NPT.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good to hear, and good to know.

I feel better already.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 212 of 229 1 2 210 211 212 213 214 228 229

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,962
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.