-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
it is considered an insult by virtually all the good outfitters and guides that I know, simply because they take pride in their job.

Then why do they accept tips? Why not just be proud?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by watch4bear
it is considered an insult by virtually all the good outfitters and guides that I know, simply because they take pride in their job.

Then why do they accept tips? Why not just be proud?

Because they are not stupid

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You wouldn't do it if you didn't enjoy it..

Thats certainly a big part, but profit margin has to be another part right?

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you hunt simply because it is the cheapest way to obtain meat ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I certainly don't guide for cheap, and I probably make $40+ an hour when it's all said and done. (I'm a saltwater capt) I work for somebody, so I have zero expenses. I pity the fool that works for minimum wage and depends on tips. Either he sucks as a guide, or he's being completely taken advantage of. In the saltwater fishing industry, those who have skills, are in very high demand and make a pretty good living.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458Win

not hardly; but what does that have to do with your profit margin?

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Pretty simple. Because they babysit you for 10+ hours a day.

If people stopped tipping, they'd just price it into the cost of the trip.

This seems like what it should be. I always wondered what the tipping thing was all about. I have guided, never been guided and always received a tip. I never counted on the tip, but I sure did appreciate it.

I was guiding 2 clients on the Madison River some years ago and they paid for my cabin to stay in overnight so I wouldn't have to go back to Bozeman every night. We went out to dinner in the most expensive restaurant in town, a bowl of soup then was over $5.00. They both ordered soup before dinner as I was ordering the cheapest meal on the menu.

They insisted I get the soup, I relented and was hoping for a good tip to cover the cost of the soup. When the meal was over the tally would have choked Ted Turner, but to my relief, they paid for all of it. I got a good tip at the end of the trip, which was much appreciated, but I still never counted on tips...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Olaf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by shrapnel
. . I always wondered what the tipping thing was all about. I have guided, never been guided and always received a tip. I never counted on the tip, but I sure did appreciate it.

I was guiding 2 clients on the Madison River some years ago . .

Judging from your post, you're well-suited to reply to this quote by author David Quammen that appeared in his short story, Synecdoch and the Trout, that was included in the book Seasons of the Angler:

�I don�t guide anymore. . . . I hadn�t foreseen that it would demand the humility of a chauffeur and the complaisance of a pimp. . ."

Still searching for an answer to why we feel compelled to tip guides . . a possible clue in Quammen's quip?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin
I certainly don't guide for cheap, and I probably make $40+ an hour when it's all said and done. (I'm a saltwater capt) I work for somebody, so I have zero expenses. I pity the fool that works for minimum wage and depends on tips. Either he sucks as a guide, or he's being completely taken advantage of. In the saltwater fishing industry, those who have skills, are in very high demand and make a pretty good living.

If you are making over $40/hr simply for your ability as a fishing guide I applaud you. But it sounds to me like you are also a licensed boat captain, which is akin to a commercial pilot, who typically make a lot more than that per hour.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by 458Win

not hardly; but what does that have to do with your profit margin?

If a business is relying on gratuities in order to assure a profit margin, then that business could very well be in jeopardy.

However, some businesses do rely on gratuities as a subsidy within the profit margin and that's none more evident than the outdoor hunting service industry.

The majority of North American outfitters and guides need to subsidize their profit margins, because the seasonal occupation of hunting service provider isn't enough to assure economic certainty in a personal sense, after business expenses.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Olaf

Still searching for an answer to why we feel compelled to tip guides . . a possible clue in Quammen's quip?

It is more a traditional thing I would guess, as my father always told me to do an honest day's work for an honest day's wage.

I never would think to tip anybody as I have lived by that philosophy and if you are relying on the tip, you might want to reconsider your voacation...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Phil,

Your observation that "Tipping has turned into a slippery slope because now in Mongolia and other parts of Asia it is typical for the guide to DEMAND his 'tip' before the hunt begins" is spot-on.

I went to Argentina as a guest of a good friend last April to shoot birds. The lodge where we stayed now doesn't pay the local "bird boys" (guides, most of whom are grown men with families) anything at all. Instead they're expected to work totally for client tips.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never guided any hunt trips but I did guide folks down all of the rivers in WV, PA, NC and Ohio. I could usually tell who would tip or not at the first set of rapids. Often times I just asked folks to donate the funds to a local children's fund or even their own kids who were along for the trip. If I really needed the money to eat I would take what was being offered.

One season I needed a new kayak badly. A Doctor bought it for me because his family had such a great time. I learned about paying it forward that day. As I said earlier, I tip everyone. It makes the world go round and brings smiles.

Happpeeeeee Berfdayyyy Calvin!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Olaf
I have a question: Why do we tip guides?

So what's the defining factor that determines who gets tipped and who doesn't?

Why do we tip guides at all?

I don't have a lot of experience in the matter when it comes to guides and can likely count on one hand the times I've used one for hunting or fishing (to be clear, I have no compunction that's jut the times I've used one)

If the guide is also the owner I haven't tipped figuring he's getting the whole fee. If it'd been a guide (vs outfitter) I have tipped in all but one case.

Why do we tip? I think guides generally like their jobs and understand low pay was part of the deal but I also like to reward the folks for sharing their world with me in a collegial fashion. The best guides are those that revile in showing me their world, hopefully catching a few fish or killing some game. I tip for the experience and not for the size/quantity of the target. it is actually my pleasure to thank them and while a handshake and telling them I had a great time is nice, I also know they have bills and cash is nice in addition to the heartfelt thanks.

The one guide I did not tip, even though a deer was killed, was an ass. He treated me and my partners like we had never hunted before (despite all of us having a lot of experience) and he was generally an unpleasant guy to have along. I didn't trust him and will not go back.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (2500HD, 1moredeer, 204guy, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 60 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,892
Posts18,497,958
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.