Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just sold a tarptent contrail and rainshadow and now regret it. Leaning toward tarptent as I've loved everything that I have had from them. Was thinking a tent with room for one and gear or two folks and no gear. I still have a Kifaru sawtooth and a Hennessy hammock. Just looking for suggestions so I don't miss anything. Would like a floor in this one.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always been fond of VE-25's. They've never failed in the absolute worst of conditions you could imagine. I've never had one blow apart in storm-force (70+ MPH) winds or collapse under unprecedented snow loads (12+ inches).

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry, should have mentioned nothing over 3 lbs. Please.

C
C
Since you had a tarp tent before; take a look at Six Moons Design Lunar Duo. 54" x 90" and 42 ounces in silnylon. A heavier polyster version is now available. This tent can use trekking poles (or you can purchase the optional poles from SMD). I've had mine for 3 years now and still love it. I use mine solo and have plenty of room for my Kelty Super Tioga.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Seek Outside BCS. Great tent.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Sorry, should have mentioned nothing over 3 lbs. Please.

3# or less, with floor, two men? COWalt's SMD reccomendation or the Tarp/net tent version is about the sum total out there. I wouldn't want to be above timberline in shoulder season with either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had my Tarptent at tree line during a heck of a good hail storm. Couldn't have asked for better performance. I wouldn't use my model in the snow because I fear it would reach the mesh at the top of my tub floor. Also, it has next to nothing for a vestibule.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to use it here in Kentucky 90% of the time. Not sure I've ever seen tree line so no worries there.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
You will probably end up with 3-4 Contrails like I did. just the BCS for me now though.

Ed T

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I'm going to use it here in Kentucky 90% of the time. Not sure I've ever seen tree line so no worries there.

I'd go Lunar Solo then, and pick something else for two people.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saggy moist silnylon (tarptent, had three and sold 'em)ain't my thing. With your parameters (floor, two guys, 3lbs), I'd go Big Agnes Copper Spur uL-3 (had one three years now). If bad weather or exposed conditions were expected, I'd give the Hilleberg Allak (spent several nights in mine) the nod (but it's twice your weight). With that said, I'd much prefer to have individual shelters and a community tarp...current favorite is a Warbonnett Blackbird.
Don

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yup, severe weather = Hilleberg tents before ANY others I have used and that includes quite a number since my first actual overnight backpack camping in spring, 1964.

Hey, Don, where ya been, good fella, thot you may have "gone native" on us and disappeared into the NWT's remote backcountry, living on "Bou, Dall's Sheep and "Inconnu"! wink

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
If you like Tarp Tents it really is hard to beat the Double Rainbow for a 2 man. Sets up easy, can be free standing and can handle 4 season weather here in the East with the clip in liner.
I use mine into November here in New York And Pennsylvania. I really don't find condensation to be much of an issue.

Last edited by NYStillHunter; 10/28/13.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by docdb
Saggy moist silnylon (tarptent, had three and sold 'em)ain't my thing. ........current favorite is a Warbonnett Blackbird.
Don

You finally caught on smile Can't beat a hammock above 20F if there are trees nearby. Only tried one tarptent and I agree, most of his designs have areas with not enought slope, IMO. My next solo shelter will be a SMD Lunar Solo for that reason as it is basically a tipi of sorts. No winter shelter for sure but would deal with a bit of snow better than most of Shire's designs, except maybe the Moment.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Not sure if you have tried the SL-5 or not. I had a BCS for the fall of 2012 & it just didn't work for me. Picked up a SL-5 & it may be the ticket. To make your weight you will need to get a 1/2 size floor & sell the one that comes with the it. I am thinking about having sod skirt sewn on it as well to help negate the need for the 1/2 nest.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The SL-5 is a lot of tent for the money and weight. I'd say it's a two man with gear tent though, which doesn't really fit the OP's parameters.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bugs seem to be more annoying here then weather. Flies were horrible on my elk hunt last week. Gonna have to look over SMD tents then make a decision, thanks guys!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have not used it in the field yet, but I picked up the Six Moon Design Lunar Duo. I like having the nest basically built in. I'm using is as mostly a one man unit because I am a big guy. I'll be wringing it out this summer and will give a report then. Washington doesn't really have much in the way of deadly inscts, but lots of annoying insects and crawly critters.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
After reading so much good written about them, I picked up a BA Seedhouse 2 tent and it was great until I experienced a serious thunderstorm - even tho seam sealed and staked out tight, in sideways wind, heavy rain, had water coming in from all directions - I spent 4 hours in the storm soaking up rainwater from the inside to prevent my down bag from becoming soaked.I have gone back to a REI half-dome - heavier, but the vestibule goes low to the ground, has ample space on both sides of the tent and rides out storm better, in my experience - it's a great tent, but not ultralightweight.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I've also had good experience with a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight in bad weather (alho not as bad as the night from hell in the SL-2). It's under 3 lbs I believe. It's not free-standing tho, if that matter to you...I feel more comfortable going with more tent weight and better protection in very bad weather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,152
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.