Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 216 of 229 1 2 214 215 216 217 218 228 229
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I am just starting to dabble into the world of hunting with the .243 and also with my .257AI.

My .257 shoots 115 grain Partitions well but I have yet to get my .243 to shoot anything I felt was good for deer.

Granted as Boxer pointed out when he made fun of it the rifle has a 1-10 twist. I have just bought some 85 grain Barnes TSX bullets and hope that being it will shoot 70 grain BT's and 87 grain V-Max bullets it may like these. It did not like 95 grain BT's or 105 Hornady RN bullets at all.

I bought the rifle to use as a varmint rifle not a deer rifle but if I can get it to shoot a decent bullet will try it out.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of these days I'm gonna have to get me a 6 mil.

.243 AI is tempting but I've got a real hankering for a 6mm-284...

Build her light and throat it up for 105's with maybe some 115's thrown in for S&G's...

And, of course, I like my twists like my women....TIGHT! wink

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back in 19&69 there was a farmer outside of Ft. Stewart, GA that had an obnoxious habit of plinking at Army training flights, mostly in the form of Hueys and the occasional Cobra. He actually hit a few, but mostly just irritated folks.

They weren't your average kind of folks as the instructors were all Nam vets and were mostly used to getting plinked at with more serious weaponry, all things considered. But it was a nuisance.

He hit a Huey one day and actually came fairly close to hitting the IP. There was a conference of sorts betwixt him and another flight on a discreet frequency which led to a coordinated plan of action.

They made a fairly high speed approach to the farmer's barn in a line abreast formation and right before arriving they did a quick stop maneuver which uses a lot of power, essentially using the rotor system as an air brake.

They blew his barn down. He quit shooting at choppers.

I've always wondered if he was using a .243 or .25-06.

Not that I really give a flying phouc.

Hugs'n kisses,

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dan I like the story I had a good visual!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Mojo,
The older I get the less recoil I want to deal with. I have an M70 in 30-06 I have been thinking about re barreling. .260 or .243 AI but being it is a long action I keep wondering about a 6mm-06 or a .240 Gibbs

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Back in 19&69 there was a farmer outside of Ft. Stewart, GA that had an obnoxious habit of plinking at Army training flights, mostly in the form of Hueys and the occasional Cobra. He actually hit a few, but mostly just irritated folks.

They weren't your average kind of folks as the instructors were all Nam vets and were mostly used to getting plinked at with more serious weaponry, all things considered. But it was a nuisance.

He hit a Huey one day and actually came fairly close to hitting the IP. There was a conference of sorts betwixt him and another flight on a discreet frequency which led to a coordinated plan of action.

They made a fairly high speed approach to the farmer's barn in a line abreast formation and right before arriving they did a quick stop maneuver which uses a lot of power, essentially using the rotor system as an air brake.

Hugs'n kisses,

Dan

BD,

We just had a guy arrested around here for shooting at crop dusters.

Why? Cuz they were flying too low....!

Ya just can't fix stupid...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Hugs'n kisses,

Dan

BD,

We just had a guy arrested around here for shooting at crop dusters.

Why? Cuz they were flying too low....!

Ya just can't fix stupid...
A 2x4 to the noggin sometime helps. Or at least it'll make the person doing the hitting feel better.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Berger makes a 115gr with a .466 (advert) G1

Dunno anything bout it tho, don't own a quarter bore.

Here

Slickest ones I could find.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why the schit has no one really made slickery pills for the .257's?

The 100gr Btips I like to lob, are around .393 in the BC department. Close enough for the rainbow-like trajectories I've grown accustomed to, when killing deer with a 25-06.

Killed one at around 500 yards 20-some years ago, but I think my eyes were closed when I squeezed the trigger? Pretty sure my eyes were open on the half dozen or so others that were a mere 350 to 425.

I could be wrong? It's not the greatest deer cartridge in the world, but I like it. Like the lack of recoil even more as I get older.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WSM_Shooter
I am just starting to dabble into the world of hunting with the .243 and also with my .257AI.

My .257 shoots 115 grain Partitions well but I have yet to get my .243 to shoot anything I felt was good for deer.

Granted as Boxer pointed out when he made fun of it the rifle has a 1-10 twist. I have just bought some 85 grain Barnes TSX bullets and hope that being it will shoot 70 grain BT's and 87 grain V-Max bullets it may like these. It did not like 95 grain BT's or 105 Hornady RN bullets at all.

I bought the rifle to use as a varmint rifle not a deer rifle but if I can get it to shoot a decent bullet will try it out.

With the 10 twist, using either the 85gr TSX, or 80gr TTSX, you'll have a handy deer rifle. Flat shooting, accurate, light recoiling & economical to shoot, are the bonus ! Oh yeah, & the deer meat in the freezer.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Polishing the turd this morning out to a k.
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Hugs'n kisses,

Dan

My eldest was stationed there after his tour in Iraq (crew chief for a Blackhawk), wife and I visited in July 2011, need the the grandson fix...sonsabich, you folks are tough, Savannah 11:00 AM 98* 90% humidity and dudes in suits dabbing their forheads, ever so gently...me, I've got got the salty Colorado running on to a freshly shaved face. [bleep] Paula Dean's buffet, spent the rest of the trip in the pool with the grandsons, loved the river front, maybe next time in january.

I've got a 257 Roy and a plain Jane 243 M700, the 243 is my goto...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This discussion has gotten more civilized all of a sudden...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When someone finds a .257 cal bullet with a .6 BC we will get to rehash it with less civility.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You and the horse ya rode in on.

There! Thread tenor restored and somewhat back on track, pending further insults and negativity.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What is the best bullet out there for a 25-06 as in highest BC that would be well suited for hunting? I've owned a half dozen 25-06's in the past and have always wanted someone to make a heavier, higher BC bullet. My favorites were 117 Hornady's and I had good luck with the old 120 HP they made.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Always thought a .257bullets weighing 130-140gr like a ,A-Max , MK or such would be awsome with a 1:7 or 8 twist barrel for tagret purpose and hunting type bullets would soon follow !

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That was always what I wanted. A 135gr in a nice sleek profile like a scenar or A-max. You might get the 270 crowd fired up but oh friggin well.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
brinky,

You Day Dreaming Do Nothing Dumbfhuck,what have you been almost up to lately?!? Laffin'!

Slow here,with the 105's.

550yds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

65yds.

[Linked Image]

Looking forward to yet another fascinating recounting of all the things you almost did,with all the wares you almost had and from all the places you've almost been.

Here's to your Imagination and to just how [bleep] badly you need it.

Bless your heart.

Page 216 of 229 1 2 214 215 216 217 218 228 229

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 52 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,769
Posts18,476,780
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.