Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Another way is to just use a brush, like a shaving brush. Apply a couple of drops of oil to the brush for a very light coat, several more for a heavier coat.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I use Butch's or MT Extreme for cleaning and Triflow for lubrication. I like it better than CLP.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wipe out is great and it does remove copper, but not all. I've ran Sweet's, Bore Tech Eliminator and Montana's Copper Killer after it and got more out. Eliminator is great stuff and doesn't smell either. I'll have to take a look at Gun Shield as well, their bore coat works great so I'd expect the same.

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
In my bolt guns I usually use, wipeout or the gunslick version there of to clean the bore, I often will give the bore a go over with hoppes on patch with some nylon brushing, then a patch or two to get rid of powder fouling first before using the wipeout

For lube I use a white lithum grease on the lugs and cocking piece.

I use BWC barricade as a rust preventative both in the bore and exterior surfaces.

For general cleaning I use a couple of things, gunscrubber, simple green and hot water, or Breakfree depending on circumstances.

In the field, I don't usually do much but carry something to clear the bore and a small amount of breakfree.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Rem Oil and it has served me well but then I am one to wipe down my rifle each evening during a hunt, even my stainless models. Wipeout works best by far of any of the copper removing techniques.

I also use Tetra Gun grease on rails and such. A light coat and one wipe off pass. Rails seasoned with teflon are a beautiful thing.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A few years ago, my oldest son had to do a science experiment. He/we chose to do a side by side comparison of the commonly available rust inhibitors/oils on the market. We used Ballistol, Break-Free, EEzox, WD-40, Rem Oil, Corrison X and about a dozen other things. We treated 1095 carbon steel razor blades and placed them into a 16 well tray, each in a separate well. Each treatment was replicated 4 times. They were then covered and buried at a salt lake for 2 months (extremely moist and salty). At the end of 2 months, we dug them up and evaluated them for surface rust and/or pitting. We did this twice in 2 years. EEzox and Break-free are the only two chemicals that actually worked to prevent rust. EEzox being the winner over Break-Free, but the others failed miserably. They are the only two I will use for rust prevention.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I use:

1) Wipe-Out or Montana X-Treme for cleaning bores.

2) Gun Shield for protecting any metal that needs to be protected, since it lasts years instead of days or weeks.

3) Whatever oil is handy for a very thin lube-coat on bolts, along with a heavy grease for bearing surfaces like the backs of locking lugs, the lumps of break-action guns, etc.

John,

Is the Gun Shield okay for trigger parts. I don't oil my triggers at all, but I'm wondering if this would be okay since it wont attract gunk. I would assume you would not coat the sear.

Sean
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Eezox for rust and Boretech Eliminator for copper fouling!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Eliminator isn't even in the same universe as Wipeout or Montana Extreme when it comes to copper removal.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Jorge have you tried Eliminator?

While I have never used wipeout I have used Montana extreme and Eliminator easily beats it!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Eezox for rust and Boretech Eliminator for copper fouling!

If you like Eliminator for copper, try BoreTech's Cu+2 Copper Remover, it really eats copper!

I use Eliminator for general bore cleaning and Cu+2 for copper "problems". Breakfree CLP for lube and Breakfree for Storage for rust preventive.

405wcf

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bore Tech Eliminator for me.. tons of other stuff just sits these days

if you have a severely fouled bore then BoreTech's Cu+2.

Eezox for rust prevention..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another Bore Tech eliminator fan here....kroil first with a bronze brush for carbon, then I hit it with the Bore Tech.

Don't use a bronze brush with the Bore Tech, you won't have a brush left if you do...

I lube with Tetra, G96, Rem Oil or One Shot Dry Lube (dry lube stuff)...OS works good on triggers, as it is a dry lube.

Tony

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've always used Shooters Choice Bore Cleaner for copper fouling, on all my rifles. I also like the Hoppes Elite for cleaning powder & carbon fouling off of my handguns.
I've used Rem Oil a lot of years for Lube & Rust prevention, & I've never been impressed with it. But, of course, I wipe down all my guns before they go back in the safe, when I come in for hunting or shooting.

I've been using Ballistoil for lubrication on all moving parts, lately, and have been very pleased.

Every one hear keeps mentioning Wipe Out, as a bore cleaner? Is that the rand name or just the product name ???? I've seen different brands at the LGS that are marked Wipeout, but I don't know which product to buy.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Every one hear keeps mentioning Wipe Out, as a bore cleaner? Is that the rand name or just the product name ???? I've seen different brands at the LGS that are marked Wipeout, but I don't know which product to buy.

Sharp-Shoot-R is the brand. But "Wipeout" has become a range of products. Most people are referring to Wipeout Foaming Bore Cleaner.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Question for the BoreTech users.

Most who use their products use Eliminator and seem to really like it. BoreTech also makes a "C4 Carbon Remover" and a "Cu+2 Copper Remover". How do these products compare to Eliminator? Is Eliminator the inbetweener, designed for both Carbon and Copper? Is the "C4 Carbon Remover" better at removing carbon deposits and the "Cu+2 Copper Remover" better at removing stubborn copper?

Thanks.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have traditionally used Breakfree CLP for most cleaning, lube, and storage. Recently, I've been using Balistol more. It seems to do a good job, but more importantly is non-toxic and non-carcinogenic.

With all of the nasty chemicals that I've exposed myself to over the years, I figure it's time to watch what I'm exposing myself to more carefully. I also recently had a good friend (and fellow gun nut) die much too young from cancer. He would spend many hours cleaning guns, and refinishing stocks and metal finishes. I remember walking into his workroom one day and almost falling over from the fumes. He didn't notice them. I can't help but think that this kind of exposure over many years didn't help him. Just saying.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rem Oil thickens and gums over time. Never use it inside an action of any kind.

CLP not only thickens, but hardens into a solid. Nasty stuff.

I use Birchwood Casey 100% synthetic gun oil as a lubricant and rust preventative. Only use a very thin coat inside. Never drip or squirt it in an action as that is too much, and too much of any oil causes problems over time. Barely moisten a rag and rub it on.

In freezing temperatures, guns should be run dry inside. Only use powdered graphite for lubricant.

If worried about rust on a rough hunt, get a stainless rifle with synthetic stock. They're butt ugly but they work.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Would you share your experience with CLP hardening into a solid? Were you using the aerosol or straight oil from a bottle? I have had issues with Rem oil gumming, but have never had any issues with CLP.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

The CLP that I have was made under military contract in the early eighties and has not thickened, jelled, or hardened, it also does not dry out on my firearms, a couple of which have been sitting in safe storage for over ten years.

Fancy sharing your experience with the rest of us.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,811 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.