Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R1150R Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have an original Sharps carbine that was my Dad's.
I'd like to fire it and need a source for safe loaded ammo.
I'd welcome any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dies, press, mould and so forth.

Otherwise touch base with players in the BP cartridge gun bidness such as Shiloh or C. Sharps and they can probably steer you to someone who can help. With any luck they won't rape your wallet.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Try buffalo arms company

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Buffalo Arms only lists one load for 50-70, box of 20, Black Powder & lead bullets--US$61.00.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/.46_caliber_and_up_black_powder_ammunition_pr-4444.aspx

Black Dawg Cartridge Co does not lists any 50-70.

I do not think that 50-70 ammunition -- smokeless or black powder --is or will be readily available. And if you do find it, like ammunition for all obsolete calibers, it will not exactly be economically priced.

As another suggested, it might be worth a call to Shiloh-Sharps or C. Sharps for any leads. Good luck

Last edited by Ray Newman; 10/26/13.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Remembered what I trying to recall as I wrote my earlier post.

Did your father ever fire this original Sharps carbine?

Reason I ask is that it not unusual for rifles of this vintage to be missing or have broken parts, such as the firing pin.

Do you know if the carbine is a US Civil War carbine?

Post-Civil War, Sharps Rifle Company, under government contract, re-built Sharps carbines to fire a brass cartridge. From what I read and told by Sharps collectors and shooters, during this re-building process, some barrels were re-lined.

If the bore was under .5225� diameter, the barrel was not relined. If larger, the barrel was re-lined. Original 6 groove barrels are oversized for modern .50-70 bullets; re-lined barrels are 3 groove, about .515�.

Now if you are going to shoot it just to say �I shot it� or bust rocks at 50 or so yards, an original barrel with modern day ammunition may work for you.

If it is a �civilian� carbine, modern bullets should work.

Anyway you could post some pictures? Many of us are always interested in seeing original Sharps.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Old Western Scrounger lists some.

.50-70

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Buffalo Arms has it too.

.50-70 ammo

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

R1150R Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the suggestions.

To my knowledge, my Dad never fired the rifle. Dad said that the guy he got it from used to take it out on the 4th of July and shoot it a couple of times.
I got the rifle after Dad died. Along with it I found 9 rounds of loaded ammo.

In March I brought it to the 24 HCF Hog Hunt and some of the guys were kind enough to look it over and educate me about it.
Thanks again 'Sharpsguy', 'Evil Twin', Gunner 500, et. al.
It was decided that I should not fire it since the source and contents of the 9 rounds I had were unknown.
'Sharpsguy' looked it up in a book on Sharps rifles and determined that is's a original Civil War carbine. He also pointed out some additional details (which I forgot).

I've never done any reloading, let alone casting and loading so I thought I'd try to find a few boxes of loaded BP cartridges that would be save to fire. If I can, I plan to bring it to the 2014 Hog Hunt so the guys who helped me with it can try it out.

I'd be glad to post pictures but don't have a clue as to how.
If someone would pm me their email address, I do know how to email pictures.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

After a few initial "technical difficulties" I got these up into photobucket,......

R1150R's little carbine looks like more fun than a barrel of monkeys, don't it ?

GTC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a nice one. Bet it could take a hog, no problem smile Reminds me of my High Wall .45-90 carbine.

Bill, I could likely bring a reloading press and bench/jawhorse to the Hog Hunt in March. If'n you want to start rounding up proper bullets/cases/dies, etc, there is no reason we couldn't load at least a few rounds there, and shoot it.

Other folks here have much more experience than myself running BPCR, so follow their advice, but I'd be happy to contribute, to see a Sharps rise again.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Gad custom bullets, has them. $50 per box

Dwayne Garfield

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 22 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,503
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.