Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
looks like my wife has been suffering from misdiagnosed gallstones for awhile.....find out tomorrow whether its coming out.....how quick did you heal up from surgery? any complications she gonna have from not having it?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I know 1 person. Immediate pain relief when she woke up from surgery, then 2-3 weeks of abdominal muscle soreness afterward at the laparoscopic incision sights. Pretty easy, overall, and much needed pain relief.

Besides debilitating pain, I understand not having the surgery leads to real problems digesting fats in any quantities.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Rattler, assuming she's a healthy ASA l or ll (moderately healthy to healthy), and the surgeon is adept at laparoscopic techniques--small trocar wounds through which the instruments are placed and used to remove the gallbladder--and there are no complications such as bleeding, blood clots, anesthesia problems, etc., all of which are rare in the kind of patient described above, it's same-day surgery. That means usual dismissal within twenty-four hours.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Had mine out on 6/21/13.

A lot of pain while coming out of surgery, but that is expected.

Just felt run down for about a week afterwards. A lot of that was because all the drugs from the general.

Had phantom gallbladder pain a few times the first couple of weeks, but now nothing. No diarhea or complications with my diet that I can tell. I never could tolerate real fatty foods before, and still can't though.

Medical bills sucked.

PS. Gallstones are not a good indicator of a bad gallbladder, they told me for months mine was fine because the utrasound showed no stones. It took a "HIDA" scan test to reveal my gallbladder just didn't open up like it was supposed to anymore.

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
yeah she is healthy other wise and the misdiagnosis for so long is her own damn fault......cause of suffering from migraines for so long she is real good at just ignoring pain and she hates going to the doc so while a normal person would have bugged a doc saying something is wrong here she just said the hell with it and toughed it out till it got real bad.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

She will probably be surprised at how good she feels afterward then.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gall bladder was a cake walk. Ruptured appendix, ACL replacement, tonsilectomy were all much worse.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Don't know, but a rapid recovery and best of luck to her.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SIL had hers removed 12 hrs. after delivering her first child.
Went home in 2 days, no problem.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It takes about three weeks to feel a lot better. Be aware that she'll feel pain where it was for a year, maybe more when she eats heavy or greasy foods.

Mine was leaking from a stone causing lesions and had become gangrenous a bit. It came out in the nick of time last spring.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everything said thus far sounds true but is not the whole story. I had mine out in 1997. My wife had hers out probably in 2000. The wife's was about like described. She had to spend the night...might have been two nights. If they can do the Laproscopic procedure, it is not much. Mine was more problematic. I had the Laproscopy and it didn't work. I had told the doctor if there were problems to just immediately do the radical removal, so she did. I was under for six hours. Thunderstorm and the power went out and everything. Of course the hospital had backup. I was in the hospital for a week. Mine still hurt badly. They discovered they'd missed a stone. I guess it's pretty common for a stone to "swim" up from the bladder and back into the liver then fall back down and block the Bile Duct. Mine got re-blocked. I was orange before they operated. Afterwards when it got re-blocked, they had the tubes in me so I didn't get Jaundiced again. They put me off for two months before they did a scope and got the Residual Stone. I was in pretty intense pain off and on for those months but not as bad as before the initial operation. Afterwards, I had the phantom pains for several years off and on.

So most of the removals go pretty good but you can have some pretty bad complications too. My suggestion is to get the removal as soon as she can. My totals were over $27000, IIRC. I shudder to think what it would be now.

The Secretary at my wife's school back then said it was the worst pain she'd ever experienced, worse than childbirth. I've never went through childbirth but the pain is bad. I would emphasize again, not putting off doing something nor letting the doctor put her off.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I had my taken out a few years ago. They did it laproscopically. I was back at work in two days.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mine was also a laproscopic. Bandages made it look like they had gutted me like a fish. Had to take it easy for about two weeks afterward. Sure felt weird when they pulled the drainage tube out. Now it is nothing but 4 very small scars and a memory.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Had mine done in 2010 on a Thursday, went back to work on Monday. Feel much better, but cannot eat fried foods.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Had mine done before they did laproscopic and it weren't fun. They nicked my liver and caused additional complications after the fact but I lived. Wouldn't wish it on someone but the alternative weren't gonna be pretty.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had mine taken out back in 1997. Arthroscopic. Its virtually out patient, but not quite. Piece of cake.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine was done 50 years ago when there was no such thing as laparoscopic surgery. Mine required a 6" or 8" incision and was in hospital for a week and off work for several weeks.

From everything I've heard and what has been said in this thread todays operations are much quicker healing.

Just now I am waiting to have a hernia repaired adjacent to the original incision. The doctors tell me this is common (if you live long enough).

After my operation I went back to an unrestricted diet and have lived without problems. And believe them when they tell you the pain from a gall bladder attack is one of the worst you can have.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 61 year old mom had hers out. In the hospital less than 24 hours, was sore, but was doing limited walking around that evening.

Piece of cake compared to the suffering from having it still in there after it has spit the bit.

Last edited by Ralphie; 10/30/13.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mine was laproscopic.
Shoulder was sore ( as they said it would be ) from the CO2 used to inflate the abdomen for a couple days. Other than that no issues and the easiest surgery I've ever experienced.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had mine removed in 2005. Had to spend the night in the hospital. Although it was laproscopic, I just didn't recover normally and was in considerable pain for a few hours.

The after effects are, for me anyway, something else. To this day my insides seem to have a mind of their own when they decide to act up. If you've ever seen the movie "The Ladykillers" with Tom Hanks, J. K. Simmons plays a character with I.B.S.......If you experience it, you'll understand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,089
Posts18,521,999
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.