Hop To
#8207721 10/30/13
H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Took my first cow elk with a rifle this year. I took my wife with me on her first big game hunt. I usually hunt with a bow and have taken a bull before but not a cow. I let her do the shooting the first couple of days. She did good but needs some more practice on the range and a rifle she feels comfortable with. She is right handed and left eye dominant and has a tough time. She told me it was my turn after the second day. On day 4 we got a good opportunity close to camp and here is the results.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WTG

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations. It's cool you got to share the experience with your wife!

What distance/rifle/ammo did you use?

Eric

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Nice!

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big Girl! cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That looks tasty!

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hey thanks guys!

EricM, glad you asked...

I shot this cow with my trusty Browning A Bolt Stainless Stalker in .270 Winchester from about 90 yards. 130 Grain Core-Lokt went through both lungs a tad higher and further back than I wanted, but very effective nonetheless. We were walking down an old road and she didn't make it more than 20 or 30 yards from the point of impact. Made getting her to the truck really easy:) I have killed this elk and my buddy has borrowed my rifle to kill two others with the same load. I've also taken a desert bighorn ram, a pronghorn buck and muley buck with this gun. I have as much confidence in this gun as a man can have I believe!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That can not be , because everyone knows you need some expensive new fangled bullet to kill any elk. wink
Good job, and also good job on taking the Ms. along. I find I get alot more hunting time and a better marriage from taking my wife along also.

IC B3

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by wyoming260
That can not be , because everyone knows you need some expensive new fangled bullet to kill any elk. wink

No kidding, right? Notice no camo either! Nah cant be? LOL!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Heat
Hey thanks guys!

EricM, glad you asked...

I shot this cow with my trusty Browning A Bolt Stainless Stalker in .270 Winchester from about 90 yards. 130 Grain Core-Lokt went through both lungs a tad higher and further back than I wanted, but very effective nonetheless. We were walking down an old road and she didn't make it more than 20 or 30 yards from the point of impact. Made getting her to the truck really easy:) I have killed this elk and my buddy has borrowed my rifle to kill two others with the same load. I've also taken a desert bighorn ram, a pronghorn buck and muley buck with this gun. I have as much confidence in this gun as a man can have I believe!

Maybe it's just camera angle, but it looks like you missed the lungs? Or is that the exit wound we see?

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 10/31/13.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Pictures can be deceiving. That is the exit wound you see.

My uncle wanted the liver so we went into the abdominal cavity after doing the whole thing gutless to start. No other organs besides both lungs were hit. Lots of bloodshot area surrounding the ribcage. She was literally spraying jellied lung and blood out of the exit wound, which is what you see in the picture. My first indication of a lung hit was hearing her choking on blood as she died. Trust me, it was all lung, nothing but lung, so help me you know who!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weird, I didn't think the 270 Win could penetrate. lol. wink

Eric

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Heat
Hey thanks guys!

EricM, glad you asked...

Congrats!

BTW, "a tad higher and further back than I wanted" is my signature shot, I don't recall giving anyone else permission to use it. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice. Still trying to get the Mrs to go with me. Every time she goes on one of my scouting trips she says you elk hunters are all crazy.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (12344mag, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17Hunter, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,437
Posts18,507,672
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.